Should I do a basement conversion?

13 posts
moo moo
Options:
Share this post on:

Should I do a basement conversion?

Postby moo moo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:52 pm

Help! Is it worth doing a basement conversion? Is it worth the cost and hassle?
Please let me know your experience?
nvmof3
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Should I do a basement conversion?

Postby nvmof3 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:20 am

Absolute nightmare living in the house with babies while it was done, but totally totally worth it in hindsight, both from an added value to the house perspective, but more importantly getting all the children's stuff out of the kitchen and sitting room and giving them a space where they can charge about, be messy and do stuff that children outside London take for granted. Not to mention my favourite room in the house - the laundry room. So good not to have smalls draped over all the radiators upstairs! I love love our basement.
AJ2012
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AJ2012 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:01 pm

We were thinking of doing a basement conversion but also not sure whether it is worth it! I remember reading somewhere that it depends on the value per square foot of your property. Any ideas on cost per square foot or metre? Also, can anyone recommend any good companies for a basement conversion?

Thanks!
moo moo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby moo moo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Thanks so much for your thoughts - it sounds like a lot of effort to live through, but worth it in the end! Would you recommend your basement company ? There are so many, I haven't got a clue where to start.
Thanks again.
Moo moo
seagull
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby seagull » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:16 pm

We had our basement dug out a year and a half ago. It was expensive, but completely worth it as it has made a massive difference to our lives - lots of space for the children and their friends to play table tennis, pool, ps3, lego etc, loads more storage, guest bedroom, shower room and of course the laundry room, the busiest room in the house! Great for my husband to have all his mates round to watch the rugby etc on weekends too! We used Estbury Basements for the digging and Avian Construction for the fitting out, both of whom I would recommend. We lived in the house throughout and it was dusty and noisy for the 8 months it took from start to finish, but all forgotten about once we saw our beautiful new basement! We were happy to save money and stay on site to keep an eye on the project, which was also reassuring for our neighbours too as they knew they could speak to us or the builders at any time. I think about £2,500 per sq.m is a fair assessment of costs. Hope this helps!

jonathan @ hamptons
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby jonathan @ hamptons » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Absolutely worth it!!

I recently had my own house done by Estbury who were absolutely fantastic - very polite workmen, clean & tidy and very hardworking. We looked at a few different companies and looked at several of their ongoing jobs and all the owners were complementary about them. We didn't use Avian for the fit out but I've heard good things about them too.

I'd allow around £2,000 - £2,500 per sqm as a general rule of thumb but this will very much depend on what you want to use the space for. It shouldn't be an issue if you live around SW11 / SW12 but do remember that square footage / meterage space in a basement is only valued at about half that for the same space on the ground floor or above.

The space has completely changed our lives as with two children we really do have loads of room for them, and have now reclaimed the grown up space on the ground floor. It's like life before children again...!!!

Good luck,

Jonathan
Jonathan Dyson
Hamptons International
98-100 Northcote Road
020 7924 2170
Scottov
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Scottov » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:02 pm

we did it, thoroughly recommend doing it.

one thing, we moved out (as we were doing a lot of other work) cannot begin to imagine living there during.

just move out for a while
batterseaorbust
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby batterseaorbust » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:41 am

If you're thinking of a basement conversion there's some great ideas here:
http://www.theartofbespoke.com/tag/extension-ideas/

Also worth checking out these guys:

http://www.theartofbespoke.com/sourcebo ... nsultancy/
sw11_
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sw11_ » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:16 am

Hi moo moo. I'm just where you were last year - thinking hard about doing a basement but not sure if it will be worth all the hassle and upheaval. Did you end up doing yours? Was it worth it?!

jamie @ dRAW
Share this post on:

Postby jamie @ dRAW » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi moo moo,

Did you end up doing your basement conversion?

sw11_, basements can be very tricky as you simply never know what you're going to find down there until you start digging. If you do one or not depends on two key factors at the early decision making stage. Are you thinking of doing one to increase your living standard in the house, have more space etc or are you looking to do it to increase the value of your property?
Jamie Francis
dRAW Architecture
517 Old York Road, SW18 1TF
020 8874 6749
info@draw-architecture.co.uk
www.draw-architecture.co.uk
flobot
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby flobot » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Personally, I would say unless you are thinking of living in the house for a few more years and you really need the space - no. You won't get your money back on it in the short-term.

If you don't need the space buy a flat and rent it. Get someone else to pay for your footage.
SazAnderson
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SazAnderson » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:34 pm

We did it and it was a huge upheaval. Also the costs spiralled as many unforseent hings were found. I guess its pot luck. If your foundations and pipework are not a problem it could go through nicely. But get reputatble builders otherwise it can become a real headache.
moo moo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby moo moo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:11 pm

Hello,

Thanks to everyone who responded - in the end, we decided not to go ahead with a full basement conversion - we just modernized our existing basement. We thought the costs we're far too great, given the ROI. Good luck to those of you who do go ahead with a basement conversion!

Moo moo

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.