27 posts
Wheresmyschool?
Options:
Share this post on:

Arrrgh, more politicans being hypocritical

Postby Wheresmyschool? » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Brilliant.

And I meant that sarcastically.

An education secretary has sent his kids to a state secondary and because he is the first to do so then we are all meant to say "well done"

But have you seen the school he is sending his child to?

This is the link to the school

http://www.gch.org.uk/default.aspx

and this is the application form:

http://www.gch.org.uk/files/Supplementa ... 202013.pdf

I'd LOVE to see any normal member of the public sending their kids there unless they're well off, middle class and/or religious.

Honestly the hypocrisy is breathtaking.

His wife in this article

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 70141.html

is slagging off parents for sending their kids private as though she's made some kind of statement by selecting state when its about the safrest education option in London.

We can't get our kids into decent state schools if we want to, we can't afford private schools if we can't and now bloody wives of education secretaries are issuing statements like they're some kind of social genius because they choose one of the UK's best state school.

Shows just how little politicians and their Daily Mail writing spouses really know about real people
schoolgatesmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Arrrgh, more politicans being hypocritical

Postby schoolgatesmum » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Just to clarify that he's the first Tory education secretary rather than the first education secretary. My friend's daughter is at Grey Coats. Bet the teachers are really pleased to have Michael Gove as a parent - no pressure on them now!!
Mrs Contractor Mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mrs Contractor Mum » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:58 pm

I can understand why he's chosen it. Its just up the road from his department so maybe he is planning on doing the school drop offs and pick ups in his ministerial car? (Assuming he has one of those as I've never seen him on the tube.)
livegreen
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby livegreen » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:15 pm

@wheres my school

Not sure of what the problem is here. Where's the hypocrisy?

More interesting is your point that you cannot get your kids into decent state schools. Strange comment. Where do you live and which schools can you not get into and why?
Wheresmyschool?
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Wheresmyschool? » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi
Apologies Livegreen, I wasn't being clear, was so cross as I typed.

What I find very frustrating is that in my opinion the state school system in London is bust. You either have to pay huge premiums on a house to get into a decent catchment area, be religious (or fake religion) or just accept that you can't get in and pay private.

So when I see a Tory politician trying to gain street cred by sending his child to a state school which is not open, ie a normal person in the street couldn't expect to send their child to I get cross.

What I'm saying is that if I wanted to send any children there I wouldn't get in and so its not truly open.

It wasn't a complaint based on my own situation.

jg75
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby jg75 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:12 pm

I understand your general frustration with schools in London, Wheresmyschool, and also agree that it's annoying to have to watch a politician on his high horse about giving his kids a state education when he happens to have got them into a very prestigious state school. But I should point out regarding Grey Coats, the school he is sending his child to, that, according to today's Evening Standard, has a percentage of children on free school meals that is broadly in line with the national average... So maybe it is quite 'normal' after all?
Wheresmyschool?
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Wheresmyschool? » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:26 pm

it's a good point but if you look at the application form with the religious element I suspect that if an athetist applied they wouldn't stand a chance.

so it's still exclusive :-(
LauraBrown
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LauraBrown » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:50 am

I'm no Gove fan and that school does sound a bit selective but nonetheless, it will be much more of a mixture than any private school so I say, good on them!

I would definitely tend to agree with Sarah Vine on this:

“And it is also, let’s face it, about snobbery. Of course the parents of private school children are paying for the best teachers and facilities. But let’s be honest: they’re also paying for their child to mix with the right kind of kids.”

Anything that encourages people to give our excellent state schools a fair hearing is good in my book. On the secondary school front, we are not badly off in this part of the world: Burntwood, Ernest Bevin, Chestnut Grove and, of course, Bolingbroke and Graveney - slightly annoying excess of single sex options but apart from that a bunch of very good schools. I guess which ones you can get into does vary on exactly where you live so that can be frustrating!
Wheresmyschool?
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Wheresmyschool? » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:12 am

you put it better than I could but thats what I meant.

:-)

Wheresmyschool?
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Wheresmyschool? » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:44 pm

Ahhh now there is a whole newspaper article that backs up my point of view!

two favourite quotes

The Vine-Gove’s move to The Grey Coat Hospital Comprehensive School leaves them squeaky clean. Or does it? If you’re state-school raised, you probably spotted the clue in the name.

The Grey Coat school uniform can only be bought at Peter Jones on Sloane Square or online through John Lewis. The blazers cost £85 (at our typical, local comp they are £27) and there is a separate summer uniform – a pretty dress that costs £44. Most state school parents would be outraged at being asked to buy two lots of uniform to fit the seasons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mother ... chool.html
Wheresmyschool?
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Wheresmyschool? » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:56 pm

YES!

brilliant :lol:
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Annabel (admin) » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:42 am

To add to this, the Evening Standard just published a list of top ten "super" state schools in London

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/lon ... 73037.html
Bubs
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bubs » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:42 am

Grey Coats is a very good state, admittedly. But they absolutely DO have a significant proportion of families from non-middle class / non-wealthy / non-religious homes too (see their percentages eligible for free school meals). A friend of mine went there and she was from a family 'living on benefits in an overcrowded council flat in Wandsworth' - her words. She did very well and speaks highly of the school.

But I see your point, it's hardly the same as sending the kids to the local comp really is it. However it's not *that* posh - definitely a very safe bet though.

Wheresmyschool?
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Wheresmyschool? » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:24 am

And now the Cameron's are at it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ation.html

What do you reckon?

Ernest Bevin? Chestnut Grove? Burntwood?
tamara
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby tamara » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:27 am

can you imagine if it was Chesnut Grove School, which is doing really well, btw. :-)

that would mean a Cameron kid could have lunch in Balham Subway every day :lol: :lol: :lol:

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.