Where to have Mirena coil removed?

21 posts
Tilly&Roo
Options:
Share this post on:

Where to have Mirena coil removed?

Postby Tilly&Roo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:44 pm

I'd like to have mine removed. I had it fitted by my GP but they can't give me a removal date for another month. I'm happy to pay to have it removed but don't know where to go. Any ideas? I have bupa if that's any help?

Thanks
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Where to have Mirena coil removed?

Postby Goldhawk » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Balham Health Centre Family Planning Clinic should be able to do this

Family Planning - 020 8700 0612 during clinic times only. These are Tuesday 6pm-8pm, Thursday 9.30am-11.30am and Friday 5pm-7pm
Tilly&Roo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Tilly&Roo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:21 am

Goldhawk- thanks, I'll try them

Petal - it depends. I thought it was good for several reason: not having to remember to take the pill, not having my period etc. the reason I'm having it removed is because I think I'm sensitive to the hormone. I've been increasingly agitated recently with a very short temper. Really not like me at all. I thought it was due to sleep deprivation (2 young kids both bad sleepers) but now that's better & I'm more irritable than ever. I have no idea if it's because of the coil but I've googled the side effects and it seems quite a few people have had this problem. So, to answer your question, I think it's probably great for some people. It might even be right for me but I need to have it removed just to make sure it's not the cause of my bad moods!
tillywith2boys
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby tillywith2boys » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:12 am

I second the practise on Bedford Hill.
And it's been a Godsend for me due to hideous (really hideous, unbearable, can't go about daily life or leave the house.. ) periods post kids.
That's what they recommend it for, I believe.
greyingmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby greyingmum » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:13 pm

Battersea GP the private ones where Glow dentist is on Northcote Rd offer the service but you have to go to their Wimbledon surgery opposite the Odeon/Morrisons car park. Very easy to book and arrange and not too expensive.

Tilly&Roo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Tilly&Roo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. I went to the family planning on Bedford hill & they were great. The doctor told me it's very common to have these side effects. I was on the pill for years without any issues so really didn't think the mirena would be a problem but apparently there is more progesterone which a lot of women are sensitive to.

So to all you moody mums out there with the mirena coil there could be a reason behind it!!
nattay08
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby nattay08 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:49 am

I had the mirena coil fitted last year. Was very painful having it put in. My mood changed almost straight away. I was very angry and snappy very unlike me. I had constant stomach pain and after 6 weeks begged my gp to remove it. As soon as it was removed I felt back to my old self! On the other hand my friend has it and has no problems so it's different for everyone :)
Mum2boys1girl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mum2boys1girl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:23 am

Hi, I had the mirena coil fitted about 6 months ago and still having a lot of irregular bleeding and random cramping. For those who have it, how long did it take to settle down? Thanks!
greybird
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby greybird » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:56 pm

I had this type of coil fitted years ago. Didn't make me angry-moody, more 'depressed'-moody.......not helped by the fact that I put on 8kgs in 6 weeks too. Had it removed and felt mentally better quite soon. Took ages to get the weight off. I was told by one Doctor that the hormones in contraception are not responsible for weight gain; and the opposite by another... Have stayed away from anything involving a hormone since. I have a 'plain' IUD which gives me very heavy - I deal with that with Tranexamic Acid (bloody marvellous stuff!) but pain free periods.
However, my best friend has never had a problem with her Mirena.
I'm sorry if that's not very helpful! I suppose I'm trying to say that, unless there is a very good reason in your medical history not to, you'll never know til you try X

PS as for the strings, honestly, you won't know they are there.....unless you re actively searching!

Sessa84
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Sessa84 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:27 pm

Hello

I was offered this by my old Gp but I refused anything that involved hormones after weeks of research. I was on the pill for 6 years and I developed severe weekly vomiting, Raynaud's syndrome, lost so much weight but had water retention when on it.

We just resorted to condoms for 2 years until we were ready to try for a baby. We got pregnant first month round and I am now at 21 weeks.
Sessa84
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Sessa84 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:27 pm

Hello

I was offered this by my old Gp but I refused anything that involved hormones after weeks of research. I was on the pill for 6 years and I developed severe weekly vomiting, Raynaud's syndrome, lost so much weight but had water retention when on it.

We just resorted to condoms for 2 years until we were ready to try for a baby. We got pregnant first month round and I am now at 21 weeks.
freshairmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby freshairmum » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:52 am

I know this is an old thread, but just wondered what symptoms / after effects anyone had experienced having had it removed. I one put in only 6 weeks ago and I HATE it, so have arranged to have it removed but have read some serious horror stories!
Thanks.
pepper
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pepper » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:44 pm

I have the coil with no hormons. It wasn't painful to fit it but after I had a very painful period. It was so painful, I had to have a scan if it fits well. But it was a side effect of having coil. After 4 months all settled in and no more pain, period regular. So maybe it's good to try the coil with no hormons.

firsttimerSW11
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby firsttimerSW11 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:35 am

Have had it for 3 years now with no side effects, cramping, bleeding etc.
Was a bit sore to fit - a bit like a smear test, I'd say but other than that it's been great for me. Have had friends with different experiences though.
popmama
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby popmama » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:14 pm

I am on my second coil. First one removed last year.
I love it. No periods and i hadn't really notices any moodiness.
The last one was a bit fiddly to remove (strings too short) but only uncomfortable like having a smear. I would highly recommend it.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.