Recommendation for new front door locks

13 posts
Tilly&Roo
Options:
Share this post on:

Recommendation for new front door locks

Postby Tilly&Roo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Can anyone recommend a good company to supply & fit new locks for front door? Looking for someone other than Banham (v expensive!)

Thanks
schoolgatesmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Recommendation for new front door locks

Postby schoolgatesmum » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:37 pm

Try Lock Centre on Lavender Hill - they are brilliant.
firsttimerSW11
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby firsttimerSW11 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:41 pm

Era locks are excellent and British made unlike Banham which are made in China these days. We had a firm in Wimbledon fit them and they were very reasonable.
BettyBoo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BettyBoo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:44 pm

We have Era and they are fab and very sturdy. Recommended by London Door Company when we had it fitted.
Gingerbread
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Gingerbread » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:18 am

I would recommend http://www.checkatrade.com/CapitalLocksmiths/
Super company, I have used them for years. They will do security locks and Ganriel will check over your whole house for recommendations. If you need an alarm use Sheba Alarm, again very good.

Talbotski21
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Talbotski21 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Please don't use Banham. They only guatantee anything for 12 months. They don't tell you that if you live on a busy road or windy aread that the lock may get full of dust which they will then charge you £80.00 a visit to clean out after the 12 month period expires.An expensive waste of time.
Motherslittlehelper
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Motherslittlehelper » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:52 am

I agree - Banham customer service is more than appalling. They never return falls and as the last poster says, very expensive if you need to call them out. Our lock rusted in 15 months and the pain we went through to get them to replace was amazing. For a product that expensive they would struggle in a court of law to win.

Yes, dust goes constantly into the lock and you keep needing to spray a 3-1 dry lube in (sds sell) every few months - bit of a pain.

I would never buy Banham again
firsttimerSW11
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby firsttimerSW11 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:38 am

Have to say I have had no issues whatsoever with Banham and I have 6 locks.
Alchemy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Alchemy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:57 am

daddydaycarerocks wrote:dust goes constantly into the lock and you keep needing to spray a 3-1 dry lube in (sds sell) every few months - bit of a pain.
I live on a busy road, and have had no issues with my three Banham locks. Every other year or so the keys start needing a bit more of a push to go in, which is easily resolved with graphite powder (rather than WD40 or other "sticky" lubricants). On the one occasion when I needed customer service they came out the same day, so I'm on the "recommend" side.

Motherslittlehelper
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Motherslittlehelper » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:04 am

But how much do they charge you for their presence ? Bet it's about £80 - who wants to pay that every year ?
this_is_cat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby this_is_cat » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:35 pm

I've also never had problems with Banham, but agree they are expensive.

But I came here to warn you off getting a Chubb Ava lock, which I did on the recommendation of a locksmith.
The lock is very hard to pick (a plus point), but it's nearly impossible to find anywhere to cut the keys. There was one place in Brixton, but I think it has closed down now. None of the locksmiths in SW11 were able to cut them, as they require a special machine, and you can't buy them direct from Chubb
Mum2two2012
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mum2two2012 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:00 pm

I have a registered ERA lock from SDS. Two locks one key. I have also used Michael from the lock centre for years. He is great. I have also used Wadsworth Security 01737 360 512 again a registered lock so you can only get your key cut with them.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.