which iron?!

8 posts
sparkletiger
Options:
Share this post on:

which iron?!

Postby sparkletiger » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:42 am

I need to replace my iron because it is basically rubbish. Do I really need to spend £100plus to get one that actually irons? Any recommendations of irons that work, expensive or not warmly welcomed!
SW12Pops
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: which iron?!

Postby SW12Pops » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:19 pm

No idea but please do let me know when you find one!

We totally need a new one!
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:42 pm

I bought a Bosch "Sensixx" for about £80 a while back and I must say it does the job perfectly.

I have used cordless irons in the past - useless as the cool down far too quickly and the "steam generating" irons are far too bulky and a faff to use.

Also modern irons seem to be designed to look like Formula 1 racing cars complete with stripes and graphics... avoid!!! :D
sparkletiger
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sparkletiger » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:39 pm

thanks! gonna give it a go
Bandstand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bandstand » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:17 am

I was persuaded to buy a really expensive Phillips iron in John Lewis £150 plus and have to say it is worth every penny to me, ironing is noticeably quicker and easier due to the abundance of steam, it also has an automatic temperature control so there is no need to change setting for different fabric (reducing the risk of damaging sensitive/ delicate fabrics). I am quite sure a cheaper model would do but I wouldn’t go back to one given a choice!

Popcorncandy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Popcorncandy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Completely agree. Go expensive steam iron if you can. We bought one a couple of years ago and have never looked back - worth every penny. Has completely changed my outlook on ironing (used to hate it), takes a fraction of the time and is rather satisfying ;-) .
Done&Dusted
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Done&Dusted » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:38 pm

At Done & Dusted we have used Bosch for many years now.

The models we recommend are the Sensixx steam generators.

The basic model has very superior results for a standard iron at well under £100.00. It is touch sensitive so there are no worries about leaving it on accidentally - it switches itself off. Very convenient if you are distracted by children or there is a phone call, someone at the door etc.

Although it has a very decent size water tank compared to other models, the downside is that it guzzles water very quickly. Easily remedied if you keep a jug of water by the ironing board to save a trip to the sink. However we recommend another handy bit of equipment that for us has been a godsend with the volumes of ironing we do here at Done & Dusted. Philips GC024 Water De Scale Filter Jug. This holds a litre of water that is filtered through the cartridge - a bit like a Britta or Bobble filter. This cuts down on the scale although we know from experience that there is no substitute for a regular monthly descaling of your iron. Leave this and you will be having to re-wash things after the iron emits its buildup by way of brownish streaks. Particularly annoying if this happens with white shirts and bedding!

If you want the very best in their range look at the model with a separate tank. The new ones come with a big price tag however I've just searched for the older model which is fantastic for big loads and they are available: Bosch TDS3526GB Sensixx B35L.

I think the model will depend upon the amount of ironing you have each week. Up to 4 hours - the basic model and over this the one immediately above.

You could of course always let Done & Dusted do the ironing for you!
Done & Dusted
boonkoh
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby boonkoh » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:40 pm

I converted to a steam iron a month ago and haven't looked back. Cuts ironing times down by at least half, the iron is not as heavy (because you're not moving the water around), and the end result is much better.

I got a Philips one (Aqua something) - they have different price points, ranging from £100+ for the compact basic ones to £300 for the top of the range. I did research before buying and I believe Philips is one of the top brands that do steam irons.

The downsides? The base unit takes up quite a bit of space, and there's more setup involved so not ideal for just ironing one or two items at a time. Also you might need a new bigger ironing board to hold the base unit, or iron next to a table.

Do check the Philips UK website out - they have an online shop - and sometimes do clearance/sales of their steam irons at really good prices. I got mine from there.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.