Safety on Thurleigh Road

9 posts
belfagor21
Options:
Share this post on:

Safety on Thurleigh Road

Postby belfagor21 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:07 pm

Has anyone else heard about the huge development that has been given approval to go ahead behind the Thurleigh Road Practice? 8 houses are going to be built on a plot of land that used to be 2 tennis courts. I am really worried about the safety of my children passing the building site when the building works begin. Huge 40 tonne trucks will be loading and unloading on the pavement outside the surgery because the trucks can't access the site due to the tiny driveway. I am also worried that when the building work is finished, the residents driving in and out of the driveway have very, very limited visibility because of the walls on either side. A flyer came through my door and when I clicked on the link that was printed on it, I was horrified at the number of regulations being ignored by the council. We've got to do something before there is a serious accident! To read more, this was the link printed on the flyer: https://www.crowdjustice.co.uk/case/wandsworth/
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Safety on Thurleigh Road

Postby juliantenniscoach » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:51 pm

Is there a CGI or plan of how they propose to shoehorn 8 houses into that space? Progress is one thing but 8 houses seems implausible. Maybe it's a bluff tactic of applying for 8 and putting in 5 or 6 to create the illusion of a compromise?
nuttymummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby nuttymummy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:30 am

Wow have they genuinely definitely actually got pp to build?! They have been trying on that site for years and years. I seem to remember the last one I saw (approx 4 yrs ago) they were trying for 3 or 4 mainly underground houses with only one floor above ground ...and I think were still refused due to the small scale and (most notably) access of site. Wandsworth planning dept have in last 18 months however been riding roughshod over what they've previously denied...and in some cases 'neighbour consultation letters' are failing to arrive - I speak from (several times!!) experience. I & my neighbours are starting to get suspicious and are trying to make this clear in our objection letters - developers are obv thinking that if they keep trying we'll get bored of objecting...which still doesn't explain the ever missing consultation letters... Very, very fed up... As you might tell. Sorry totally off topic for the inappropriate traffic for Thurleigh Rd theme on which I agree with you.
belfagor21
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby belfagor21 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Planning approval is all very confusing. There are conditions that need to be met. The only 2 live applications right now are: 2015/5016 and 2016/2062. Building work cannot commence yet because the neighbours are contesting this thing in court. As for consultations, the building company (Thornsett) apparently only posted 2 letters - to the 2 properties that most affect their development!!! I live nearby and certainly didn't hear about the latest plan for 8 houses until late last year and as you say, planning applications have been coming and going since 2007. A guy INHERITED the land and got approval for 2 eco-houses in 2010, but then sold the land for circa £5.3 million to Chertwell! Chertwell then sold the land to Thornsett for circa £8million!!! As you can tell, I've been following this story because I hate the arrogance of the Development companies and the council! Especially the council, as it's meant to represent us but is not doing so since it keeps ignoring the objections and working around it's own guidelines and protocols! Anyway, I really am worried about the safety of kids and pedestrians passing that area given how busy Thurleigh Road Practice is and also St Luke's Church too.
lalectrice
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lalectrice » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:53 pm

The other concern is the safety of children at the two nurseries at St Luke's (Sparkies and Nightingale), who use the garden adjacent to the proposed development. I have also been told that the developer has a poor safety record.

monaco
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby monaco » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:50 pm

Is there a petition or something we can do to help oppose that? I live in a parallel road and have noticed this and read the article about the tons of policies that are not being followed.
There are also risks if there were a fire as the entrance is too narrow for a firetruck to get in.
For stylish family holiday ideas in hotels and villas with pools, visit https://fromthepoolside.com
richmail@mac.com
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby richmail@mac.com » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:55 am

Share this post on:
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
PostTue Apr 26, 2016 8:51 am

The permission for the eight houses was granted in September 2014. Since then not a spade has gone into the ground! It's been extremely difficult for Thornsett (developer) to start because there were so many conditions placed on the permission which needed to be discharged pre-commencement. They have been working through these one by one at various planning committees and with shameless and think veiled collusion with planning officers, ward councillors and committee members. The safety issues have been serially ignored - everything has been in the developer's favour. Over 4,000 truck journeys are planned and they have now green-lit for the trucks to travel the whole length of Thurleigh Road. The ridiculous thing is that residents have supported development on the site but that this scheme is SO squeezed there isn't even enough room for the rubbish/fire trucks, delivery trucks cannot enter, cars will jam-up and there is no room for turning on the site, let alone the ZERO visibilty at the entrance. Residents have been threatened by the Council's lawyers - for complaining! The whole situation is a fiasco. The Ward Councillors have hidden behind the same lawyers refusing to represent their constituents, (although at the 11th hour one of them did read-out a representation to the planners feeling guilty and no doubt with one eye on the next election). The best thing anyone can do is go to the crowdfunding site and pledge funding. https://www.crowdjustice.co.uk/case/wandsworth/

There is more information on the Clapham Junction Action Group's site which explains exactly how bad this has got throughout the borough.

https://cjag.org/2016/04/20/town-crammi ... e-council/
monaco
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby monaco » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:29 pm

I have noticed that they put up a board with photos at the entrance of the alleyway so that made me think that they were about to start.

I have pledged some money on the site. Thanks for pointing us to this.

Best of luck!
For stylish family holiday ideas in hotels and villas with pools, visit https://fromthepoolside.com
MGMidget
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MGMidget » Wed May 04, 2016 3:29 pm

There's a lot of history to plough through but it looks like planning application 2014/3016 is quite informative and wow, there were lots of objections! In there, a document labelled '88 Thurleigh Road revised drawings 160514' shows a plan for 8 houses which seems to have been approved with conditions. There have been some applications since to tweak aspects of the planning approval.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.