Northern line morning woes / Conservatives campaign / Massive rant!!!

36 posts
Mum2Monkey
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Northern line morning woes / Conservatives campaign / Massive rant!!!

Postby Mum2Monkey » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:03 pm

After 9 things are calming down, by 9.30 things are pretty good. You won't get a seat at either time, unless you are very lucky, but from 9am should get on a tube pretty much straight away - at worse waiting for the second one on the platform.

Only if there were delays earlier in the morning will you have a problem and that's v rare these days. Most probs still caused by sheer volume of people rather than anything technical.
malixp
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby malixp » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:26 pm

Hello, we are also looking to move in the ares and I also so have a similar question about getting on the tube at Balham station. I understand that you will be in any case standing and squashed until Stockwell station at least, but How long must one wait on the platform to get on a tube if you are taking the tube at 7.15 / 8 or 8.45 ? 
many thanks 
Ex Clapham resident
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ex Clapham resident » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:10 pm

Im afraid I don’t know but you’ve since had a good response. The closer to Balham, the better as if something goes wrong you have the overland.
rubyonrails
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rubyonrails » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:24 pm

I would say from limited experience of using the tube at that time that you will be fine. It seems to get significantly quieter from around 8.45 onwards.

soontobe
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby soontobe » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:09 am

@malixp i don't know balham so well but from Clapham South at the earlier times you can shove your way on after a train or two normally. Later on you can squeeze in - from 8.45 it gets quieter. 
@lukewd i normally only have to catch the earlier trains from Clapham South occasionally. You are fine after 8.30/8.45. If you have the time/inclination and depending on where you end up,  i like to walk to Stockwell/Brixton and jump straight on the Victoria. Gets a few steps on the pedometer...

boonkoh
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby boonkoh » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:12 am

Balham: even during peak hour (8 to 8:30) you can get on the first train 90% of the time. No seats, standing only, and will be squashed, but at least not against the doors, and probably 50% chance of a seat come Stockwell when many get off.

Clapham South: 25% chance to get on the first train between 8am and 8:30am, otherwise its usually 3 or 4 trains wait. Any other time you can get on the first train. Really squashed. Probably 10% chance of getting a seat at Stockwell, 30% at Kennington.

Clapham Common and North: avoid anytime between 7:45 and 8:45, you are not getting on unless you are thick skinned and push real hard.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.