Re: Teenage scammers "Fundraising" door to door for football clubs

Postby Balham Blazers FC » Tue May 03, 2016 10:02 am

Thanks for the updates guys.
Mumbojumbo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mumbojumbo » Thu May 05, 2016 11:27 pm

They were on the toastrack roads between the commons just down from Webbs road, I asked them for ID which they were unable to provide. They said they were legit, but had photocopied letterhead. I explained about posts on here, said if it wasn't them, they could well take the wrap for those who are! Not bothered, they just carried on. Can describe if anyone needs me to
MrsOctober
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MrsOctober » Tue May 10, 2016 7:11 pm

They're at it again. I'm just off Northcote Rd and have just had a young lad (about 13ish maybe) knock on my door claiming to be from Lambeth Lions. Asked for sponsorship money. (Like an earlier poster, I've googled Lambeth Lions football club & only one I can find is in Ontario)
Balham Blazers FC
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balham Blazers FC » Tue May 10, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi Guys
Thanks for the updates. I fear that the only way we are going to stop this is for people to tell them that we know it is a scam and that we are going to report them to the police on the doorstep. Difficult, I know, because it is a bit confrontational but that is the only way it will stop. Otherwise they are long gone by the time we get to report them.
laritacampanilla
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby laritacampanilla » Thu May 12, 2016 6:27 pm

I have had these boys knock at my door too! I didn't give them anything as i had seen them many different times trying to 'raise' money outside McDonalds on Northcote road.

Seeing teenagers on Northcote road is not uncommon, however i remember them as i thought to myself at the time 'why are you not in school'. I have probably seen them there 8+ times now.

Balham Blazers FC
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balham Blazers FC » Thu May 12, 2016 6:45 pm

Thanks for the update. It looks like word is getting out about this. Hopefully they will soon get so little from it that they will stop.
Aprilmama
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Aprilmama » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:43 pm

I have also been targeted by this scam. A boy turned up on my doorstep (SW4) last week allegedly from Lambeth Lions collecting for Alive & Kicking. Despite my suspicions I was feeling charitable so gave him the benefit of the doubt and a couple of quid. However as i turned my back to get a pen to sign his form he nicked my wallet from where I had put it down! I gave chase, screaming for someone to catch him, and a man to whom I owe an eternal debt of gratitude did catch him! Police were called and he was arrested. I don't believe he set out to steal but gave into temptation when I put my wallet down in front of him - made me so angry at his stupidity - he's only 14 and could ruin his life by doing such things. Anyway I've been in touch with Alive & Kicking and they confirmed it was a scam. I don't want this to turn me into a cynic but I will be more careful in future! (p.s. he wasn't that bright as he'd put his name on the form!)
sarahsarah
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sarahsarah » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:39 am

Lambeth Lions are a team in the USA? hahaha oh my lord. thanks for the heads up!
cmf
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cmf » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:19 pm

I think I've just had the same scam. Argh! A boy approached me asking for money and he seemed very genuine. His form said he was called Daniel Richards and raising money for Lambeth Lions and an AIDS charity in Africa. So they're at work again.

Abbmun
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Abbmun » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:23 pm

I think I had the same boy ringing in my door last night, abbeville village.
jafina
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby jafina » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:27 pm

This is so annoying, I gave some boys a few quid in Dulwich Park a few weeks ago. They were from "Lambeth Lions" too and they were getting loads of dosh. I will know better next time.

If anyone rings the door asking for cash I just say "sorry I've been scammed before and I no longer give cash at the door, just leave any info you have and if I can donate online then I will". I prefer the non-confrontational approach!
Aprilmama
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Aprilmama » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:46 am

I have alerted the police to the fact that the older brother of the boy who nicked my wallet whilst running this scam seems to still be at it - the named "Daniel" who was also involved in my incident. They have said that anyone with any information should pass this onto them at the Clapham Common team:

ClaphamCommon@met.pnn.police.uk
020 8721 2623
cmf
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cmf » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:32 pm

hi Aprilmama, i tried this email address but it bounced. do you have an alternative?

Buddybear
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Buddybear » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:06 pm

They are currently collecting for 'Lambeth Lions' on Leathwaite/Chatto and Webbs Road.
Aprilmama
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Aprilmama » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:33 pm

Hi

I've been given these details instead if you want to contact the police:

SNTLX-.ClaphamCommon@met.pnn.police.uk

Or the dedicated ward officer is:
steve.fares@met.pnn.police.uk

Hope these work!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.