House move - what are rules about children’s school attendance?

3 posts
CraftandArt
Options:
Share this post on:

House move - what are rules about children’s school attendance?

Postby CraftandArt » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:16 pm

Hi everyone,

We are planning to move out of the area this summer and put our children into a private school in the countryside to start year 3, year 1 and nursery. They are currently at a local state school. We are looking at rental properties in the countryside, and wondering what the rules are about children’s school attendance in these circumstances. The rental properties may be available before the end of the summer term - are they allowed to leave school early? If so, how early is permissible? Does anyone know where I can find the rules? Ideally they wouldn’t join a new countryside state school for their last few weeks of term, or start at their new private school before the long summer holidays, as that wouldn’t make much sense, and I’m happy to unofficially homeschool them as they’re only little, but I would love to know what the rules are so I have all of the information to make this important decision. Can anyone can point me in the right direction?

Thank you so much! :)
Danijeanne2502
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: House move - what are rules about children’s school attendance?

Postby Danijeanne2502 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:18 am

As they are so young and you are going to home educate in the short term, you can de register from school to electively home educate you can then reapply from your new address for September? Although places for September have already been given so you will need to find out whether there is space at the school that you are wishing to apply for as it would be counted as a late entry.
Pupdates
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: House move - what are rules about children’s school attendance?

Postby Pupdates » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:18 am

You can deregister the younger two by sending a letter to their present schools stating you have decided to assume personal responsibility for their education for the remainder of this academic year, and that you will be starting them in new schools in the autumn. Education Otherwise has a template letter for this, if you google it.

As the new schools are independent, the standard admission round isn't important - I am assuming you have secured places at the new school already?

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.