Postby Scottov » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:01 am

North of the river?

Its grim up north :D
Jen66
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Balham fourth best place to live in London

Postby Jen66 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:06 am

It was actually the best place to live in London which, as much as I like Balham, takes some swallowing...
audrey
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby audrey » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Did anyone mention that Balham is also one of the top spots for burglaries? Apparently SW12 postcode is in Top 10 of the list.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -list.html

There is another article which lists Wandsworth SW11 as one of the best places to live in the entire UK for families. Is this linked with the same study mentioned in the Sunday Times article?

http://www.insidebattersea.co.uk/page.asp?pageid=4
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:19 pm

shhhh please

We dont want Paltrow and her culinary tips to move south of the river... :lol:

But I agree I love Wandsworth

clapset
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby clapset » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:50 am

I never knew Balham was in (what is commonly known by this website as) "Nappy Valley". Glad it's considered a great place to live for all those that live there - but where does Balham start and end? What is Balham vs Clapham South, the Nightingale Triange and where does Balham end and Tooting start? confused ... may be I should look at a map!

I know IMHO Nappy Valley starts at St John's Hill and it ends at Nightingale Lane, and stretches from Trinity Road to Battersea Rise (as far as the common).

Balham to me is 2 streets with the houses off the main road ... and the road that goes to the Bedford pub. But then I don't spend much time there ... and don't get me wrong I really like Balham - but best place to live in London ... how so? May be it's measured on happiness - and the people of Balham are all really happy?!
pinkgrasshopper
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pinkgrasshopper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:13 pm

I'd imagine it has something to do with two excellent schools in Henry Cavendish and Ravenstone, good pubs (inc. The Bedford for its comedy, and The Clarence, Grove) and restaurants (Harrison's, Lamberts, Gazette), lovely cafes and bakeries (Trinity Store, Milk), a Bikram
Yoga centre, Aveda spas, good leisure centre and now Movers & Shapers gym. Our GP is excellent, as is the Balham Health Centre for walk-in emergencies. The library is also good. Being between the commons is also a huge plus as is access to the northern line and overground to Victoria, Gatwick...

Oh, and the fact we are all lovely ;)
clapset
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby clapset » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Is Balham between the commons?

How so?
pinkgrasshopper
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pinkgrasshopper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Balham (SW12) starts at Clapham South station so beside Clapham Common and runs down to Tooting Common.

clapset
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby clapset » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:39 pm

Yes, knew that - just didn't know Balham was counted as part of what the "locals" call between the commons ...
pinkgrasshopper
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pinkgrasshopper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Not sure then - have lived here 37 years though!
clapset
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby clapset » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Cool 37 years is a long time - sure you've seen some changes. My favourite parts are the bike shop Subliminal and the Grove.
papinian
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby papinian » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Balham is essentially the SW12 postcode.

The following are areas on the edges of Balham which are sometimes described as Balham, sometimes not:

- That part of SW12 that is north of Nightingale Lane (i.e. in Between the Commons). These are sometimes described as Balham, sometimes Battersea, often just "Between the Commons".

- That part of SW12 that is east of Alberbrook Road, north of Yukon Road and west of Cavendish Road is sometimes described as Clapham South (after the tube station) rather than Balham. The gap in the shops along Balham Hill, i.e. where the council flat blocks are each side of the road, is the dividing line between Clapham South and Balham.

- Those parts of SW17 that are north of Upper Tooting Park and Ritherdon Road are properly part of Balham, not Tooting. However, Upper Tooting Park is Tooting (or Upper Tooting or Tooting Bec as sometimes described) and the Heaver Estate south of Ritherdon Road is also Tooting. The Argos shop on Balham High Road represents roughly where the divide between Tooting and Balham lies.

- Some parts of SW12 that are east of Cavendish Road and north of Emmanuel Road are often described as Clapham Park rather than Balham. Those parts of SW12 are in Lambeth Council, not Wandsworth Council. There doesn't seem to be a clear divide but it gets more "Clapham Park" and less "Balham" as you go east from Cavendish Road.

pinkgrasshopper
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pinkgrasshopper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:46 pm

Years ago we would never venture down this far from where we lived as children near Wandsworth Common. Even 15 years ago when I lived in Clapham South, Balham was considered a no-go! All very different these days!
Scottov
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Scottov » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:53 pm

pinkgrasshopper wrote:Years ago we would never venture down this far from where we lived as children near Wandsworth Common. Even 15 years ago when I lived in Clapham South, Balham was considered a no-go! All very different these days!
How odd, large chunks of clapham south were no go 15 yrs ago, and still are.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.