Rough sleepers hub and hostel opposite Battersea Arts Centre, Lavender Hill

28 posts
Out2pasture
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Rough sleepers hub and hostel opposite Battersea Arts Centre, Lavender Hill

Postby Out2pasture » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:32 am

i've read the article. it's absolutely tiny, looks like it's only suitable for 6 clients and suggests it will be staffed 24/7.
i don't see this as being a really problematic development, and could be helpful. better than leaving them in doorways really.
the day area with computers and desks will not be of any interest to the severely ill.
if i was to live nearby i would want reassurance that the staff had the necessary tools to move those that may loiter away from the site. 
Lepresidente
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Lepresidente » Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:04 pm

There is a nursery literally next door to this proposed facility . Putting these two vulnerable groups next to each other is a huge safeguarding issue. The fact the officials have glossed over this issue is of huge concern to people objecting. The site is simply unsuitable purely on this basis alone. Drugs , needle , and alcohol abuse individuals shouldn’t be near young children!
sb311
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sb311 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:55 am

Indeed it’s the proposal of the placement. Next door to another vulnerable group. Even noise disruption during the nap times at nursery could be an issue. Think they need to relocate it.
DavidWT
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby DavidWT » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:17 am

This is a 'homeless' hostel proposition not a prison for criminals. Thing is the area has an increasing problem with more and more people sleeping rough in shop fronts on St Johns Rd, Northcote Road (the old All Bar One frontage for example), and of course St Johns Hill outside the station. You and your children walk past these unfortunate people all the time, it's not nice to see I agree, but they're not murderers or criminals! 
Of course the big difference will mean that they will now have somewhere to go and sleep as the weather turns  and it becomes colder. Hopefully a warm bed and proper shelter for the night. And who knows, it may even help some of them turn their lives around.  And maybe you won't have to walk past people sleeping in empty shop fronts anymore.  
People who are concerned about the hostel being proposed next to a children's nursery should be reminded that this is for homeless people not convicted criminals.    
Itscoldnow
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Itscoldnow » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:08 am

I also checked the plans, yes relatively small number, good staff ratio and a desked office area for staff to work on cases.
There is definitely a need, I think some of the homeless already stay in churches and here and there, in the area.
The centre would be on a large main road so I doubt noise would be an issue more than traffic.
There was a (regular) homeless young man outside the coop supermarket this weekend with no shirt on, in near freezing weather. Some locals were concerning themselves about him which was good to see.
I feel optimistic about the plan.

Concerned Citizen
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Concerned Citizen » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:20 pm

"People who are concerned about the hostel being proposed next to a children's nursery should be reminded that this is for homeless people not convicted criminals"

..... This is the type of unicorn thinking and ignorance unfortunately has real life consequences.

UK Government Homelessness code of guidance for local authorities
23.2 People with an offending history are over represented amongst single people who are homeless and sleep rough
23.5 Housing authorities will need to work in collaboration with HM Prisons, the Probation Service, Youth Offending Services, as well as other relevant partners to prevent people leaving custody, or living in the community, from becoming homeless.
23.13 Housing authorities should put in place arrangements that will help to prevent people with an offending history from becoming homeless

https://www. gov. uk/guidance/homelessness-code-of-guidance-for-local-authorities/chapter-23-people-with-an-offending-history
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:14 pm

I find most of these posts on this thread so upsetting and depressing to read.

These are homeless people in need of an emergency roof over their head.

These people are already here but they have nowhere to go in this borough. You pass them every day outside Co-Op, M&S, Asda, Waitrose.

I live round the corner and I 100% support the planned facility. I would love the council to do something to help the ever growing homeless population in our borough.

The concern around it being located next to a nursery is baffling. This is a fully staffed facility with high staff to guest ratio. These are homeless people, not barbaric, flesh-eating monsters. What do you think they are going to do? Crash through the walls and eat the babies heads??

Myself and my son have been volunteering at the very large homeless hostel in Vauxhall for around 4 years, since my son was around 8 years old. We deliver food there and we will often stay a little while and chat to those staying there. Everyone, without exception, has always been lovely to my son. Why do people on this thread and those citing objections on the council website think that homeless people are a danger to our children? Our children pass many of them daily on the street and have done since the day they were born.
Ramaboo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ramaboo » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:27 pm

AbbevilleMummy - could you share details or a link about the hostel in Vauxhall please? i've been meaning to look for somewhere i could volunteer with my kids
chorister
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby chorister » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:21 am

AbbevilleMummy - we are lucky to have people like you and your son living in our community in Wandsworth.  Thank you.

Nico
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nico » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:40 am

I objected to this on the grounds of the nursery whose business will probably be damaged. A Council member told me he had not realised there was a nursery there which shows they haven’t thought this through. I think the Council probably created the large number of objections by failing to consult local residents and reassure them. Although I have to admit that I am a bit baffled as to how rough sleepers from Richmond (which this also covers) will manage to find their way here. I do think they need a plan for the people who trek over to try and get a bed and find none available. I am not sure it is a great place to attract rough sleepers to either because there is a drug dealing hub directly opposite where some homeless people are already preyed upon by gangs. They need to address that urgently too before they use that address. In essence I am not too bothered about the location providing it’s well managed but I do think the nursery may have significant problems if it is not.
Nico
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nico » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:41 am

I objected to this on the grounds of the nursery whose business will probably be damaged. A Council member told me he had not realised there was a nursery there which shows they haven’t thought this through. I think the Council probably created the large number of objections by failing to consult local residents and reassure them. Although I have to admit that I am a bit baffled as to how rough sleepers from Richmond (which this also covers) will manage to find their way here. I do think they need a plan for the people who trek over to try and get a bed and find none available. I am not sure it is a great place to attract rough sleepers to either because there is a drug dealing hub directly opposite where some homeless people are already preyed upon by gangs. They need to address that urgently too before they use that address. In essence I am not too bothered about the location providing it’s well managed but I do think the nursery may have significant problems if it is not.
Nico
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nico » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:48 am

To be honest I think the last point is exactly what people are really worried about. This is because directly opposite are the gardens for Battersea Arts Centre. Between 4-6 people already sleep rough there annd where drug dealers anlso fight openly with them (I know cos I can see it from my window!) and the Council has not done anything to help them. The Police always attend to late after someone has been beaten up. Hopefully this facility might help but the risk residents want to see addressed is that that are will not become a rough sleeping hub itself given the limited number of beds at the facility.
CJInsider
Share this post on:

Postby CJInsider » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:30 pm

Clapham Junction Insider has just published an article about the proposal here:
https://www.cjag.org/2023/10/27/a-rough ... rt-centre/

Feel free to comment directly on CJI website at the bottom of the article and we encourage you also to subscribe to updates and our newsletter (all links on the page).
Clapham Junction Insider
Community News for Clapham Junction, Battersea, Wandsworth and around
:arrow: https://cjag.org

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.