Stolen land rover

15 posts
AmyDC
Options:
Share this post on:

Stolen land rover

Postby AmyDC » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi all. Our land rover was stolen last night and the police have told us quite a few others were stolen last night too. Anybody out there sharing our pain?
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Stolen land rover

Postby Denwand » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:07 pm

that's terrible - horrible feeling you're left with when that happens.

What road was it stolen in and approximately what time? - someone here may have noticed something.
Del
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Del » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:36 pm

oh no ! Another LR stolen ! Sorry to hear ...
Ours was stolen from our driveway end of October. The police found it abandonned in East London. The thieves have sophisticated tools these days ... be careful
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:42 am

My brother's new Audi vanished one night about a month ago.

Police suggested thieves used a small black box that captured his key fob signal and just had to stand near his house within a few meters from his front door to do it! :o

Amazes me that a £80,000 vehicle is secured by something so unfit for purpose that it would have been more secure to have left the keys on the bonnet overnight.

Meanwhile my old Mercedes needed a copy of the spare key - I have to send it to a MB workshop for two days whilst a team of technicians have to undo it's gubbins all in order to copy and duplicate a new one...total cost about £400!

...funny how a thief with a cheap box of electronics could do all of that in less than 20 seconds! :shock:
SJH Mummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SJH Mummy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:54 am

So sorry to hear about your LR, we have one we love and I’d be gutted if it went.

Randomly, I sourced my beloved LR through an amazing guy called Ross Burcham at Burcham Car Sourcing - he’s a total expect and seems to be able to find anything and he managed to negotiate a great deal on ours. I’m sure it’s the last thing you want to think about right now but he deals with insurance claims too as I recall.

Www.burchamcarsourcing.com

soph
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby soph » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:23 am

We had ours stolen from our drive. Complete pain in the arse. Our insurance was good at pay our but obviously went up significantly after. Such an inconvenience but we have a new LR now fitted with a tracker and we use a steering wheel lock!
Pentneyprincess
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pentneyprincess » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:54 pm

What an awful thing to happen. I have a new Evoque and was told that the older LR AND RR are very easy to steal due to the keys being duplicated easily with a master key allowing easy access. The post 2015/2016 (can't remember which) only allow two keys to help curb this issue.

I have a tracker fitted to mine, insurance insisted. They aren't too expensive. Mine was about £400 with a lifetime subscription. Thieves often dump the car for a week to see if there is a tracker before then going to sell it on.
monaco
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby monaco » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:26 pm

We have a new car so keen not to have it stolen! Where / how do you get those car trackers?
For stylish family holiday ideas in hotels and villas with pools, visit https://fromthepoolside.com
Pentneyprincess
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pentneyprincess » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:55 pm

Monaco you can get them in most places that do audio car enhancements etc. I got mine outside of London unfortunately. It is peace of mind although the landrover app does show the location of your car? I wonder if the stolen ones show a location?

monaco
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby monaco » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Ah good to know. We have one of those steering wheels blocking thing so we may just stick with that. Thank tou
For stylish family holiday ideas in hotels and villas with pools, visit https://fromthepoolside.com
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:37 pm

It seems ridiculous that the manufacturers of the most expensive models have "improved" car keys so much that they can be sidetracked at will...and very quickly too.

When car keys developed soo that they had a transponder inside and had to be physically "clicked in" to the car before they could be started car crime plummeted because no key=no start and the only way to steal them was to steal the key.

Now (regardless of the evidence) car makers force keyless systems on us and we might as well secure yhem with a piece of damp string...

I agree with Tomandbobby - a locking device that covers the whole wheel is the safest way to go, awkward heavy and clumsy but think of the benefit of carrying your keyless card in your wallet!

Talk about going back to the 1970's :?

AnandaG
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AnandaG » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:46 pm

soph wrote:We had ours stolen from our drive. Complete pain in the arse. Our insurance was good at pay our but obviously went up significantly after. Such an inconvenience but we have a new LR now fitted with a tracker and we use a steering wheel lock!
If you have a keyless entry system, as well as the steering lock, I'd suggest that you also buy a couple of signal blocking pouches to keep the fobs in. They're pretty cheap to buy and block the signal between fob and car so thieves can't intercept the signal. Buy a couple so that you have one for the fob you use and one for the spare inside your house.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blocker-Blocki ... BGT8SQ5FHE

P.S. You can also get RFID signal blocking sleeves on Amazon for your chipped/contactless cards too. Stops them being scanned using the same sort of kit that the car thieves use.
mumbelievable
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mumbelievable » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:26 am

Nice cars, but why anyone now has a Discovery in Wandsworth is beyond me as they are being stolen every week, our friends even had their Discovery replacement stolen 2 weeks after getting it (and used the special pouches to keep the keys safe in the house).

Quite often he cars will be out of the country usually in hours and the series numbers changed of the chassis and engine - off to Eastern Europe or Africa.

I guess it helps the criminals, that in Wandworth we have most useless bunch of police that appear to have no interest in preventing crime. Anyone who has been a victim of theft will know after getting your crime report, you never hear nothing more.

Del
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Del » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:58 pm

Well our LR was found in the East end by the police. Number plate was changed but the police checked the engine number and saw that it was our car.
I agree though, too many stolen cars in our area.
orderaboveall
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby orderaboveall » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Happened to our friends X5 in Kensington - it was in Africa before they even noticed it had been gone! Really annoying, we have a garage thankfully but this should be able to be sorted out more efficiently. Makes you wonder when all of that CCTV watching our every move ever comes in handy! Love to all of the victims out there!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.