Top ten places to eat?

80 posts
claphamchick
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Top ten places to eat?

Postby claphamchick » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Is Bellevue Rendez-vous gone...?? When?? How?? I think I'm going to cry... :(

I second Chez Bruce (my favourite by far!), Trinity, Mien Tay, Kaosarn (the Thai on St John's Hill), Tokyo Retro on Abbeville Road, Commensal on Abbeville Road, Thali and Pickles (a great authentic Indian in front of Balham Station - also perfect for lunch, unlike many Indian places with heavier dishes).

I'm afraid I disagree on Numero Uno and am not a great fan although I'm there quite often as a friend who used to live here gets nostalgic and insists on going there every time she visits. I think they have a great atmosphere and lovely service but I find food average at best.
claphamchick
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby claphamchick » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Is Bellevue Rendez-vous gone...?? When?? How?? I think I'm going to cry... :(

I second Chez Bruce (my favourite by far!), Trinity, Mien Tay, Kaosarn (the Thai on St John's Hill), Tokyo Retro on Abbeville Road, Commensal on Abbeville Road, Thali and Pickles (a great authentic Indian in front of Balham Station - also perfect for lunch, unlike many Indian places with heavier dishes).

I'm afraid I disagree on Numero Uno and am not a great fan although I'm there quite often as a friend who used to live here gets nostalgic and insists on going there every time she visits. I think they have a great atmosphere and lovely service but I find food average at best.
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Annabel (admin) » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:18 pm

Best fish and chips are, according to the Fish and Chip Awards (that's a THING?)

http://www.fishandchipawards.com/images ... an2016.pdf

Olley’s Fish Experience

69 Norwood Road
Herne Hill
London

SE24 9AA

www.olleys.info
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Annabel (admin) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:16 pm

From the Evening Standard

Former Smoking Goat, Begging Bowl and Som Saa chef Seb Holmes will bring London another Thai pop-up next month.

Following a run in Highbury and recently hosting a Burger Monday night, his restaurant concept Farang will take over The Lodge in Clapham on Monday nights throughout April.

This time Holmes has partnered with Tomas Lenko from drinks brand Bold Spirits, who he has worked alongside at Brook Green Market where they both have stalls.

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/rest ... 09366.html
LoveShoes
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LoveShoes » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:42 pm

Went to a great restaurant in Streatham this week with a whole load of friends and we all had great food, good service and lovely wines - beer list was extensive too. It's called Hood and is near Streatham Hill station. Hadn't been to Streatham before to eat but Hood's modern British fare was really delicious. Definitely worth a visit - my new favourite!

foodeditorjo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby foodeditorjo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:46 am

My absolute favourite place is Meza on Trinity Road, just up from Tooting Bec Tube station. It's really good value, fresh and authentic and always packed! But the good news (and not that well known) is that they do also have a room at the back. Everyone I know loves it...
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:47 am

I agree the food at Meza is delicious but I've been three times and had food poisoning twice!
foodeditorjo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby foodeditorjo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:51 am

That is bizarre! I eat there regularly, often with friends, and also hosted my birthday dinner there. No one was ill at all. I don't disbelieve you, but I'm very surprised to hear that. And, as a food writer, I am a pretty good judge of good food. I wonder what you ate?
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:16 am

Well I should perhaps have said that the last time I went was probably a couple of years ago (for obvious reasons I'm not going back!) so it may have cleaned up its act (not to say its kitchen!) since then. I'm a vegetarian so I'm guessing it was one of the cold dips which have a tendency to be left sitting around (I got really bad food poisoning from some baba ganoush at an all you can eat buffet in the Far East (at a very posh hotel)). A real shame as we do like the food there.

foodeditorjo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby foodeditorjo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:18 am

I think it must have improved ... I go quite often with a veggie friend and we just have a selection of the veggie dips etc and it's always fine. Then again, as you say, if food is kept hanging around, this can be a common problem.
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rooting4tooting » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:07 pm

Sorry to interupt here with a slightly off topic qustion but as there seems to be a foody audience, I will have a try... Has anyone tried the corsican/sardinian place off Durnsford road around the back of plough Lane?
thanks in anticipation...
foodeditorjo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby foodeditorjo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:18 pm

No, but it sounds interesting... thanks for the headsup.
ladiorange
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ladiorange » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:10 am

I definitely would like to add Rick's to the list:

Rick's cafe in Tooting
It's not a Cafe, it's a Restaurant
122 Mitcham Rd, London SW17 9NH

http://www.ricks-tooting.co.uk/

Nims
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nims » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:27 pm

Has anyone been to Gordon Ramsey's London House restaurant in Battersea Square recently? Any good?
Husband has booked to take me there for my birthday in a couple of weeks so hoping that it has good reviews. If not, then we have time to change the booking...! Thank you.
Nims
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nims » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:28 pm

Has anyone been to Gordon Ramsey's London House restaurant in Battersea Square recently? Any good?
Husband has booked to take me there for my birthday in a couple of weeks so hoping that it has good reviews. If not, then we have time to change the booking...! Thank you.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.