iron supplements for vegetarian chilcren??

11 posts
Thecouplescoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: iron supplements for vegetarian chilcren??

Postby Thecouplescoach » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:07 pm

Hello,

I'm not an expert or nutritionist but my kids are approx 90% vegan and to make sure they get enough iron I make sure to include foods such as pumpkin seeds, broccoli, green leafy vegetables, dried apricots etc. Oh and beans / chickpeas galore! Have a google for good veggie sources for iron and there will be lots of suggestions and perhaps try really focusing on including plenty of them for a week or so to see if that helps.

Have you thought about a B12 supplement as one of the symptoms of not enough B12 is tiredness and it's hard to get on a Vegetarian diet? It's the only supplement I give my kids. Apparently quite a few meat eaters are deficient in it as well so it's possible that even though you include meat they may not be getting enough.

Hope it improves for you,

Sue x
LindaS
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LindaS » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:49 pm

My kids are vegan and they are "full of beans", so much energy it's crazy. Don't let people tell you it's diet. I'm lucky since my mom is a nutritionist so I've been well schooled.

Sue has very good advice, dark green leafy vegetables are always a good source as well as lentils. And it's also very beneficial to have foods high iron along with vitamin C for better absorption.

Good luck.

Linda
LP73
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LP73 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Is he drinking enough fluids? The first thing that happens if not is tiredness, lack of concentration etc.
If you give him a varied diet then you won't need iron and really shouldn't be thinking about it so early in unless it's for a medical problem.
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:28 pm

Maybe he's just bored at school? :lol:

I've been a veggie for donkeys years and have low iron levels. You have to be careful with iron supplements though as they can be hard on the stomach and digestive system. I've recently taken to using Spatone which you can buy in supermarkets. It's basically very iron rich mineral water - I put it in a glass of freshly squeezed (I squeeze 'em myself) orange juice and not had a problem with it, plus I feel a lot less tired and more energised.

But I would get a blood test one first just to check that's what's causing it.
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:32 pm

Well I always look at gorillas - they're vegetarian and don't seem to have too much trouble getting big!

Yes I take a sachet of Spatone a day - they do apple flavoured ones too where you can drink them straight out of the sachet, but I prefer to put the plain ones in OJ then you can't taste them (they're pretty metallic!). You should maybe take some yourself - you might be surprised at how much better you feel. They're in the supplements section of Waitrose.

Mummymummymummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mummymummymummy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:59 am

I'm veggie, my children eat very little meat. I agree check his iron levels, more iron rich food, drinking more water etc. But don't discount boredom, esp as he has loads of energy when he gets home, perhaps he needs to be challenged more/ be more physically active during the day. I know my brain tends to switch off pretty quickly if I'm sitting still for too long :?
sixfootredhead
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sixfootredhead » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi there.

My two boys are vegan (as am I) and we all have boundless energy! The only supplement we take is B12 (vegans cannot get enough from a regular diet) and vit D in the winter/when they can't get out into some good sunshine! As long as you have a good understanding about nutrition you can get everything you need. Legumes and pulses, nuts and seeds, molasses, leafy greens, dried apricots - all excellent sources of iron. The Vegan Society does an excellent wall chart depicting the various foods that are sources of vitamins and minerals in food stuffs. Many of my friends and family have commented on how useful it is, whether you are veggie or not - many people need help understanding where to get what...

Most anaemics I know have been meat eaters!

Good advice from thecouplescoach and LindaS.

Hope you get it sorted. Good luck!

Don't hate me for saying this but you/your children are not 'veggie' if you eat fish - fish is not a vegetable and doesn't fall within the definition of vegetarian! It's really upsetting to vegetarians and vegans to hear people call themselves veggie when they eat living creatures. :? :shock: Hope you don't mind me saying! :D
sixfootredhead
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sixfootredhead » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:51 pm

Bless you Mangomuffit! :D
MrsAmanda
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MrsAmanda » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi Mangomuffitt :) Hope you're well, long time no speak.

My children are lifelong vegetarians. Although I give them as balanced a diet as I can, I also give them a supplement.

They take Wellkid chewables, which have B12 and iron, amongst others, and no fish oil or gelatine! Am sure they're widely available, I just bung them in the Ocado order.

sixfootredhead
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sixfootredhead » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:18 pm

Ha ha - sorry Mungomuffit! Slip of the keyboard... :lol:

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.