My neighbours are very loud

17 posts
work1
Options:
Share this post on:

My neighbours are very loud

Postby work1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:56 am

Hi
We live in a typical London terrace house and our bedroom has a fireplace which "shares" the chimney with the house on the other side of the wall.

On a really quiet night with not much traffic or wind I can hear my neighbours in their bedroom. Some nights they sound muffled and I can only hear the rise and fall of their voices, not the words, and on other days it feels like they are actually in the bedroom talking to me as well. :o

Honestly the first time it happened I thought someone was in the room, it was really scary.

This didn't really bother me and it didn't happen very often and I put it down to London living.

However recently my neighbours seems to have refreshed their, ahem, relationship and to be frank they're at it like teenagers. :o

So three times a week I go to bed and feel like I'm sharing a bed with a couple going at it hammer and tongs. It was funny the first few times but now every time I go to bed I feel like a I have a ringside seat to some sort of show they'd put on in Amsterdam.

They're a really lovely couple in their thirties and I'm delighted they're so loved up but I have no idea what to do?

Can I pop around a borrow a cup of sugar and ask them to tone it down, the thought makes me blush :oops: or does anyone know if it can be soundproofed?

I sounds really triffling but I'm dreading bed times now

W1
Hattie
Share this post on:

Re: My neighbours are very loud

Postby Hattie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:24 pm

How about getting some good rubbery earphones and retiring to bed with some relaxation music till the show is over! :lol:
Hattie Weeks
Maternity Consultant
http://www.hattieweeks.co.uk
Lulumoo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Lulumoo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:18 pm

Perhaps turn it around and when you next bump into one of them say something like "gee I hope I wasn't too noisy the other night, I had a few friends over and we were having a good laugh. I'm sure you would have heard us as you hear EVERYTHING through these walls and down the chimney". Hopefully they'll take the hint…?
Good luck! I'm a very light sleeper myself so that would really bother me enough to move out!
NYE31
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NYE31 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Or just banging on the walls, that should give them the hint!

I feel for you, I spent years being disturbed by my neighbours.

Good luck ;)
SFMC
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SFMC » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Agree maybe when it is happening maybe bang on the walls and shout 'keep it down lovebirds' or say something humorous but loud so they hear?! Or turn up the music so they are aware you can hear them.
Assume they have no idea how much you can hear.

Or just as you say knock on their door and vaguely mention if they could keep it down after 10pm as you can hear everything through the walls. You could keep it vague...

Also suggest ear plugs regardless.

Wow I'm just cringing thinking about it.

KatherineHepburn
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby KatherineHepburn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:02 pm

You could always try having a Meg Ryan moment during one of their quieter pauses... :D
Kittens77
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Kittens77 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:56 am

You can get your chimney stuffed which would work as a sandproof...otherwise as already suggested, I would knock on their door and just keep it vague... Say something along the lines if being able to hear absolutely everything so if after 10pm they could keep or down etc etc. good luck! Xxx
Noles
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Noles » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:11 am

How about knocking the next morning after a particularly noisy night and asking them if they wouldn't mind turning the telly down in their bedroom late at night?
MaternityNurse
Share this post on:

Postby MaternityNurse » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:43 am

err,mm, perhaps younwouldn't mind popping round with my business card and suggesting that they call me once they have confirmation of the fruits of their 'fun' in the bedroom????! :D :D
Suzy Lane - The Baby Expert
www.suzylanebabyexpert.com

Stellarosas
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Stellarosas » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:24 am

Put white noise on your iPad...it helps sleep and blocks out an amazing amount of noise ......it will fill in the time between deciding what options to go for....
I wouldn't confront them directly...too touchy a subject....
Stella
papagato1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby papagato1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:28 am

one of the great things about living in a house is the freedom it gives you compared to a flat......your kids can jump and scream around in the house, you (well,....not me!) can wear high heels in the middle of the night, turn the music a bit loud.....without, most of the times bothering anybody.
.....or enjoy a bit of silence without being annoyed by your neighbours.

That peace, or freedom is now gone, probably for good as you dread going to bed....so talking to them would probably be just a limited relief.

I would definitely soundproof that chimney.....and maybe ask the neighbours if they want to do the same on their side!
Tealover
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Tealover » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:49 am

This post made me LOL. We had a very similar 'issue' a while back. We called it the Fifty Shades Effect. We never heard a peek from our neighbours and then suddenly it went from zero to hero in the space of a few weeks. Three times a week we had 1hour full on 'fifty shades' going on 10ft from our bed and it was awful! I'm not sure where they got the energy (or stamina ) from....they have 2 boys. Anyway....we debated mentioning noise subtlety, shifted our bed times and even slept in our spare room on 'special occasions' ie a birthday - as it was particularly eventful on those nights - however thankfully the 'fifty shades effect' subsided as quickly as it began....and we rarely hear them now. We have a giggle about it now and again. Hopefully your neighbours are also just going through a phase.
Bubs
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bubs » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:44 am

You could try one of these notes:

http://happyplace.someecards.com/send-p ... g-loud-sex

work1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby work1 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:18 pm

Thank you for all your advice.

I am still plucking up courage to say something but I need to as last night was the worst yet.

Felt like shouting out suggestions :oops:
manuellee
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby manuellee » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:53 pm

I've been in your situation before. I just knocked on there door and politely told them I could hear everything . They where very embarrassed but they didn't realise I could hear them. Things quietened down a lot and life got back to normal. It's something you just have to do and see what reaction you get luckily mine was a positive outcome .

Good Luck

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.