Changing internal layout on 1st floor of a victorian terraced house - possible?

8 posts
Familycompleted
Options:
Share this post on:

Changing internal layout on 1st floor of a victorian terraced house - possible?

Postby Familycompleted » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:13 am

We cant really afford to buy a new place in the area and wondered if there is any possibility of converting the internal structure to make another room? The current layout means we have 2 very large bedrooms and a tiny study. If we could make 3 bedrooms instead, would be so much better. Not sure if it would be possible. Do we start with asking a structural engineer or an architect? Any recommendations??? Thank you so much!!
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Changing internal layout on 1st floor of a victorian terraced house - possible?

Postby Annabel (admin) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi
It's a great question and I hope we can help.

Have you seen our D&B Guide? It's a free printed magazine and the last issue had an article about the different layouts for the ground floor of a Victorian house.

Although that's the wrong floor I can pop a copy in the post if you'd like (email me at annabel@nappyvalleynet.com) and perhaps the contacts mentioned in this article can help?

I'll also do two other things...

1) I'll mention it in the weekly email and...
2) we are working on the next D&B Guide (it's an annual) and I'll talk to editorial team - perhaps we can work this into next guide...

Good luck and do please let us know how you get on...
Sublime Property
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Changing internal layout on 1st floor of a victorian terraced house - possible?

Postby Sublime Property » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:06 pm

Dear Sir/Madame,

Hope this finds you well. I saw your post on here and I'm sure it's possible to do it. Fell free to make an appointment so we can see what needs doing and discuss everything in detail. All work is carried out to the highest standard using only the best quality materials. All quotations are FREE so please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Services we offer include:

Kitchens from refurbishment to complete installations
Bathrooms from simple tap installation to complete suite installations including wet rooms
Carpentry
Painting and decorating
Internal and external refurbishment
Plumbing and electrics
Tiling and flooring

and more...

You can contact us on 0777 2 555 881 and 020 3627 2737 or drop us a line office@sublime-property.com

Kindest regards,

Pawel
http://www.sublime-property.com
https://www.facebook.com/sublimepropertymaintenance

I've attached few pictures of our work here:

C8989
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby C8989 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi,
When it comes to building work, much is possible, it all depends on time and money I suppose. I’m a trained architect, but not currently practicing.
Key issues you want to consider are existing loadbearing walls and services locations (gas Boiler, soil pipes, kitchen drainage etc). Changing these are the most costly.
Certainly speak to an architect to help you work out if your idea is feasible.
Also, if you haven’t already done so, speak to your neighbours downstairs and see the layout of their home- it’s helpful for the architect/engineer/builder to know this.
Best of luck.
AVC
Share this post on:

Postby AVC » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi,

I think I can help you. Following 15 years of post-qualification experience in architectural and senior design roles with respected architects including Zaha Hadid Architects and Foster + Partners, I opened my own architectural design company in 2013. My business; Studio AVC is currently based in my home studio in Tooting and in our office space in Blackfriars.

Our recent work includes a house refurbishment project in London which may be similar to your project.

http://www.studioavc.com/portfolio-item ... se-london/

Please don’t hesitate to get in contact with us to discuss your project. I would be more than happy to get involved in design-focused projects and provide architectural services.

Best,
Ayca
http://www.studioavc.com/contact/

parsleysong
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby parsleysong » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi, I had a similar query about our top floor, which was laid out badly, but I couldn't get my head around how to re-configure it. I found an architect through Architect Your Home (not sure if they are still around, worth checking) and they put me in touch with Susan Venner (http://www.vennerlucas.co.uk/) in Balham who came up with a fantastic layout for us. It included changing some external features so had to do a planning application but I don't think you have to if it's all internal. Best phone the planning department to make sure - Wandworth are really helpful if that's where you are. Her time and drawings cost £600 from memory but that was 5 years ago.
boonkoh
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby boonkoh » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:33 pm

If you're going to have to knock down a loadbearing wall, there's going to be lots of hoops to jump through, let alone the technical complexity (steel support beams, etc).

If you're just adding an additional stud wall to split two rooms, that's technically easy to install, but you might still need to get planning permission or building regs.

This is complicated even further if you only own one floor and you're either a leaseholder or a joint freeholder.

Coupled with the fact that (1) builder costs are increasing and highly in demand and (2) you're living in it at the moment and will make your life hell for several months (unless you're willing to move out and rent, but still hell having to pack up everything into storage to avoid dust), then maybe selling/buying could still be a better option.
AVC
Share this post on:

Postby AVC » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Hello,
I am the owner and director of a small architecture and interior design practice. My business; Studio AVC is currently based in my home studio in Tooting and in our office space in Blackfriars.
I do residential work similar to yours and would be happy to help you if you like.
I would be more than happy to meet you or talk over the phone when you are available. Best,

Ayça Vural-Cutts
Director

StudioAVC
T 020 8767 3663
E info@studioavc.com
www.studioavc.com

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.