Choosing a hospital to give birth

8 posts
Henrysmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Choosing a hospital to give birth

Postby Henrysmum » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

Brand new to NappyValleyNet! I just recently moved to SW18 and also just found out we're expecting our second child.

My GP has asked me to let them know which hospital we want to pick to have the baby in and I'm not sure which one to go with. The options open to me are St. Georges and Chelsea? Both have midwife led birth centres which is what I'm planning for.

Does anyone have any experience of either or both of the maternity services offered.

Thanks so much in advance x
Roo
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Choosing a hospital to give birth

Postby Roo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi Henry’s Mum,

Firstly congrats! If you're considering midwife led birthing centre , why not have a home birth? I had a home birth with my second child and the Chelsea and Westminster Cherry Team midwives were absolutely wonderful.

The care was so attentive, it was a very personal and special experience. I felt completely spoilt and privileged to have 3 midwives at my house - who couldn't leave to go to a more urgent case or go because their shift had ended - they were in it until the job was done! It was lovely having my baby girl at home in my own space and straight into my own bed.

If any issue had of arisen, then of course I would’ve been into hospital quicker than quick, but if you’re first child birth was ok then perhaps you should consider it? Works really well when you have another child to care for too.

PM me if you’d like any more info on my experience.

Best wishes!x
YogaBirth
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby YogaBirth » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:14 pm

Location is important as you don't want the stress of a long journey (in rush hour!) Both the birth centres at C&W (new and impressive) and St. Georges (The Carmen Suite) are good and the women I teach have given good feedback from both places. As the other message said 'home birth' is a good option but if its your first baby I understand the anxiety. It is however the best way to get good antenatal care on the NHS.
Annabel
K1999
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby K1999 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:07 am

Being a birth doula, I see a lot of hospitals. Chelsea has the best birth centre going. It is very knew and state of the art. The midwives are amazing. Should you worry at all about what might happen if you needed more medical help, the labour ward is next door & can be at the BC in a flash. Highly recommend Chelsea & had both my kids there.
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:44 am

Regardless of which you choose - if you go for a hospital birth (and I take the above poster's point about a home birth but I would worry about having to go into hospital in an emergency while in labour) then I would really recommend a birth doula. Midwives are busy but your doula will stay with you throughout the birth. It's just so nice having a friendly face who understands what's going on and can be your advocate.

Fruisli
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Fruisli » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:04 am

Another vote for Chelsea and Westminster - I’m due to have my first baby there in about 10 weeks (eep!) and have been so pleased both with the quality of care and how modern the facilities are. I’ve heard good things about both the private and NHS sides - and if something does go wrong, they have one of the best neo-natal ICU units in the country, which definitely makes me less nervous!
ZNW
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ZNW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:29 pm

St George's were fabulous but post birth I think they were too stretched. Had to stay an extra night because they didn't have capacity to check my son before discharging us. Good luck!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.