How much do Architects cost?

6 posts
Mindful_mum
Options:
Share this post on:

How much do Architects cost?

Postby Mindful_mum » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:07 pm

Hello,

I am currently looking for an architect for our renovation project in Guildford. So far, the quotes seem to be around £6-£8k just to get planning drawings and now the architects seem to want an additional £3k for a measured survey. The costs seem astronical; how many hours work does it take to produce planning drawings? Is it really worth it? Or do they all just just a fixed percentage because RIBA says that it’s ok?

Many friends seem to have got drawings for around £2k - does this mean that they used a less qualified architect or more basic service?

It’s just that we have a limited budget, so wonder if this is really worth it, or will the architect have lots of bespoke suggestions so that the whole project becomes more expensive overall?

Many thanks in advance,

Annabel
parsleysong
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: How much do Architects cost?

Postby parsleysong » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:47 pm

I suppose it depends on the size and complexity of your project, but that seems very expensive to me. I got drawings, survey and planning application done 1.5 years ago and it was in the region of £3500 - for a large double-storey extension in a conservation area. We have now decided to go with another architect whose style I love and they are quite upmarket and had lots of projects featured in magazines but even they are not charging anything like that. I can give you the names of our two architects if you are interested.
Mindful_mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mindful_mum » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:19 pm

That’s hugely helpful, thank you! I’d love the names of your two architects - they sound just up my street.

Best of luck with your new project!

Annabel
zenhome
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby zenhome » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:02 am

Hi Annabel

My firm manages building projects for busy people, and could recommend several architects we’ve come across that are both good and well priced if you’re getting stuck.

Thanks!
Tim
AVC
Share this post on:

Postby AVC » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:19 pm

Hello,
I am the owner and director of a small architecture and interior design practice. My business; Studio AVC is currently based in my home studio in Tooting and in our office space in Blackfriars.
I do residential work similar to yours and would be happy to help you if you like.
I would be more than happy to meet you or talk over the phone when you are available. Best,

Ayça Vural-Cutts
Director

StudioAVC
T 020 8767 3663
E info@studioavc.com
www.studioavc.com

Sinead Connor
Share this post on:

Postby Sinead Connor » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:05 am

Wow this post is old okay,

Try Architect7, 

I promised my brother in law that I would give his architectural firm a mention on here. He carried our planning permission & drawings on a rear extension I needed done. I didn't get mates rates but his price is below the average market value, so give his firm a try it is Architect7 Planning Permission Architects they acted as planning permission architects for Barnet council which is renowned to be infamously painstaking but from my end it was surprisingly swift and they made it look easy.

Right I've got him off my back now

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.