Rats in Battersea

7 posts
SnowStar
Options:
Share this post on:

Rats in Battersea

Postby SnowStar » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I just wondered whether anyone else has noticed/had problems with rats in Battersea? I've seen the post about some people seeing them on Clapham common, but I am nearer to Battersea Park.

Since the Nine elms project has commenced I've noticed rats in my garden, I hear them at night and (scarily) I can now hear scratching in the wall cavities.

I am pretty sure it's from the work and food being left around from the builders of the development as well as the obvious disturbance of the areas they lived quite happily until now (especially under the railway arches).

Next door is wondering whether they should pop down poison, but I'm worried about cats eating this.

So essentially, I'm wording whether the residents of Battersea around the power station and park have noticed anything and what they're doing about getting rid of them. Or maybe my house is just rat HQ :(
Mamanchelsea
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Rats in Battersea

Postby Mamanchelsea » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:30 pm

My friend down in Battersea has the same problem! She's been so upset by this especially given they just completely renovated the house. She's had pest control over to check in order to ensure they stay outside. Terrifying!
SnowStar
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SnowStar » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Oh wow, really?!

If you don't mind me asking, what road is she on?

I'm just wondering whether if there's enough people who this is affecting whether the council would step in and take some action.

It's so awful, and we're terrified to leave our garden door/windows open so I feel your friends panic. I feel it's only going to get worse in the summer too, so I might try get a list of streets and take it to the council.

thanks for your reply x
Nadia.dou
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nadia.dou » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:36 am

Hi,

I live on Queenstown road and my back garden is full of rats. Found a hole they dogged though the stones and under the house too... I also can hear them gnawing it’s horrible. Pest control came but as far as I understood if the council doesn’t help with poison it’s a lost battle.
I have the railways and a cafe just at a corner where I live but despite behind at high risks rodent area some effort needed to be done by the council..
The more I pay attention, the more I can see pest control baits in the neighbourhood.. I believe many people are experiencing this problem!
I’ll be happy to help if you need!
Thanks,
Nadia
ShezLexi
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ShezLexi » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:30 pm

I live right next to the new nine elms station development. Since the work began I've seen a huge amount of rats and mice.

I now have mice in my loft that were never there before and I have rats trying to scratch their way into my house via the cavity and local drainage. Just saw a rat run across my garden! Yuk. I have to leave.

Ratski
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ratski » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:44 am

Putting bait down is not the best solution as they breed pretty quickly and you can’t kill them all.

If they are in your garden then there is obviously food for them there or close by so tidy up your backyard, move any sources of food (bird feeders in particular while nice for twitchers do encourage rodents) and look for any signs of nests in flower beds then bait accordingly.

Under your floors or in the walls then they are inside your property so you need to find out how they are getting in. Most often it is either broken air bricks, cracks in walls or the drains. The latter is very common around here and you can get rat drain blockers which should prevent this and cheaper in the long run than just putting bait down.

Good luck.
Pod
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pod » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:20 am

Hi there,
I feel for you immensely it's the most horrid invasion and can empathise wholeheartedly from experience.
We had non return valves fitted to our waste pipes and bait set by Paul from a reputable Pest Control company and the issue resolved quickly last Christmas after our neighbours had work done which disturbed things.
His number is Paul -+44 7976 784424

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.