Wandsworth plans fines of up to £500 for climbing trees, flying kites or playing cricket in parks

8 posts
windmill26
Options:
Share this post on:

Wandsworth plans fines of up to £500 for climbing trees, flying kites or playing cricket in parks

Postby windmill26 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:58 pm

I have come across this article today and I am puzzled by it... https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 68126.html

I think we should have zero tolerance on dog fouling and littering not stopping kids playing in the parks! :roll:
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Wandsworth plans fines of up to £500 for climbing trees, flying kites or playing cricket in parks

Postby juliantenniscoach » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:35 pm

I've seen an online post by Wandsworth Council saying that they have no intention of stopping kids playing as inferred by the article title. Just a general clampdown on anti-social behaviour and ignorance of by-laws and other issues like adherence to dog free areas.
windmill26
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Wandsworth plans fines of up to £500 for climbing trees, flying kites or playing cricket in parks

Postby windmill26 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:47 pm

juliantenniscoach wrote:I've seen an online post by Wandsworth Council saying that they have no intention of stopping kids playing as inferred by the article title. Just a general clampdown on anti-social behaviour and ignorance of by-laws and other issues like adherence to dog free areas.
I really hope that the article got it wrong as it won't be the first time that the council would go ahead with an idiotic decision! :roll:
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Alas you have a point! :lol:
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm unclear why they need to update the bylaws

All the council have said is that they will use them in a common sense way?!

Sarah McDermott
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Sarah McDermott » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:03 am

I am a great believer in plenty of outdoor play for children doing all those things that challenge them and teach them how to deal with risks - climbing trees being one of them. Of course Wandsworth Council is not going to stop these wonderful childhood pursuits. As lead member for children's services I will be the first to stand up for good 'old-fashioned' childhood play. The bylaws are there to be used in extreme situations when vandalism, anti-social behaviour gets out of hand. More outdoor play, I say!

And talking of play, Wandsworth Council is planning upgrades at three playgrounds. Have your say in what sort of equipment you would like to see:

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/artic ... d_upgrades
Emptynestmummy.com
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Emptynestmummy.com » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Vaguely related: is there anything we can do about dog fouling? Like a body to report it to?
It sounds daft as I have lived here for years, but do we actually have any Parks Police? I haven't seen any, but perhaps I haven't looked hard enough - been too busy looking down to make sure I avoid the dog mess!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.