180 posts
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: local celebrities

Postby Annabel (admin) » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:09 am

Now this just got weird! :o

I answered the phone this afternoon and a polite (youngish) female voice at the other end said

"Hello I am calling on behalf of XXXXXX (a *MASSIVE* celebrity)

"Yessssssssssss" I replied with a growing sense of trepidation. Maybe we were about to get a big telling off?

"I understand NappyValleyNet.com is running a feature on local Wandsworth Celebrities and XXXXX is very disappointed that you decided not to include him"

"Errrrrr no!" I explained that as a forum we don't "include" people, its just sort of happens.

"Ok" said the young voice "so should I ask YYYYYYY" (a *massive* global PR company) "to write a profile and post it on the site?"

It was tempting to say yes because I was fascinated to see what username they would use

Cassandraskinnyandyoungandnoideawhysheisamemberofmumsforum spotted XXXXXX in Tooting

That would be a little bit of overkill, I gibbered.

"Only he was at dinner with ZZZZZZZ and he was teasing him that he wasn't included in your list"

At that point I started to think it was a wind-up and was waiting for the fits of giggles at the other end but they never happened.
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:33 am

now administrator, that is so funny given the di-opposing positions of local gal and moops for example. I'm curious now as to who the unbelievably vain 'celeb' who's clearly devastated at not being spotted or mentioned!

I don't think street names should be printed really, everyone needs a bit of privacy but in general the blog seems to be fun and good natured. cheers!
moops
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby moops » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:22 am

PMSL that is sooooo funny!! I can't believe celebs are looking at our thread! :lol: A you are tooooooo cruel! I'm dying to know who it is! Hope they 'out' themselves!
mattyc
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mattyc » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:29 pm

This is now my second rant - the first was about walking on frozen ponds.

I guess I am new to this area as I have only been living in SW London for less than a year. However, I do know it well as my best friend since childhood (5 years old) lives between Wandsworth and Wimbledon. We are now in our thirty's and my best friend is very well know and married also to a very well known person, she also had a little girl less than 12 months old.
This is my story (my friends are aware that I am writing this) as we were talking about your site this week.

These are just an small insight into the lives of celebrities.

I always enjoyed visiting my friends and popping out to do some local shopping, having a coffee and even dinner. However, all this changed about two years ago - I remember being in Waitrose in Wandsworth one Saturday afternoon with my friend we were shopping for dinner that evening (round her's) whilst at the meat / fish counter someone took a photo of her with a mobile phone camera they never asked? This person walked away saying that was Bla, Bla, Bla... we were then at the cake counter when along came a party of happy snappers (in fact it was just three people) who all took a photo again without asking?

In the past 12 months I rarely now go shopping with my friend and popping out for a coffee has never been just that as someone is always staring at us or worst lurking with a mobile phone camera.

But the worst story is since then my friend had her baby and I remember being at her home when a few people were outside waiting for a glimpse of the new family addition and my friend said they aren't wanting to snap my daughter therir here to snap my waist line. So what I'm really trying to say here is please be careful with the information you put here as not every one in the world of fashion, food, tv and cinema wants the world to know where they live and what they do with their time.
moops
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby moops » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:40 pm

Hello Mattyc

We meet again 8-) . I'm sure you have read all of this thread before posting and have seen that a few people share your view but most of us are just having a bit of a laugh and aren't causing any harm. If you google this there are plenty of websites about celebrity spotting so it isn't anything out of the ordinary, in fact you can read about it every week in Heat magazine!

You said that your famous friend was talking about this site last week, are you sure they weren't the ones that contacted NVN??! :lol: I realise there are a lot of rude people about who take it too far and invade their privacy but I don't feel that we are doing this on here and have to say the phrase "Comes with the territory" springs to mind. You can't really expect to be famous and well known and not be spotted or recognised!

moops
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby moops » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Ooh I've just found this on Wiki, I wonder if our secret celeb readers are on this list??! ;)

Wandsworth Notable Residents

Naveen Andrews — actor
Alun Armstrong — actor
Marcus Brigstocke — comedian
Martin Bashir — journalist
Tony Blair — former Prime Minister (shared a house with Charlie Falconer in the Tonsleys on Bramford Road)
Sophie Dahl — model
Daniel Defoe — author
George Eliot — author
Lord Charlie Falconer — politician (shared a house with Tony Blair in the Tonsleys on Bramford Road)
Rebecca Ferguson — Nanny of Royal Family, originally from Canada
Jason Flemyng — actor
Edward Gibbon—English historian
Francis Grose ( 1731-1791) —Antiquary. He lived in Mulberry Cottage on the Common.
Mark Owen — singer
Ainsley Harriott — TV chef
Keira Knightley — actress
David Lloyd George — former Prime Minister
Daniel Massey: actor
Andy Murray — Tennis player
Penelope Wilton: Actor
Daniel Radcliffe — Actor, currently lives with girlfriend, Rebecca Ferguson
Kevin Pietersen — cricketer
Jessica Taylor — singer with Liberty X
Steve Sidwell : Aston Villa F.C. midfielder was born here.
Paul Theroux : travel writer
Louis Theroux: TV presenter
William Makepeace Thackeray — novelist
Holly Willoughby — TV Presenter
Thomas Craig — actor
Michael Nicholson — journalist
Marcus Jones — philanthropist
Jonathan Ansell — singer
Phil Spencer — TV presenter
Frank Bruno — boxer
Thomas Hardy — Author (A blue plaque on the junction of Trinity Road and Broderick Road commemorates his residence)
Lesley-Anne Down — Actress
Martin Marquez Actor hotel babylon
Ramona Marquez Child Actress Outnumbered, Eden
sw17mamma
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sw17mamma » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:18 pm

ANother one we have all missed and he tells us most mornings on his breakfast show is Jonny Vaughn!! He also tends to 'out' other wandsworth celebs!
KatherineHepburn
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby KatherineHepburn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:07 pm

And the lady who used to host Ten Years Younger....sorry, baby brain..name gone.

She looked quite pregnant when I last saw her. Still fabulously dressed though...felt quite the frump as I wandered past.

I also saw Rob Brydon the other day.. which was pretty cool.

Yeah, this area is the new celebrityville. ha ha.
catief
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby catief » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:20 pm

sw17mamma wrote:ANother one we have all missed and he tells us most mornings on his breakfast show is Jonny Vaughn!! He also tends to 'out' other wandsworth celebs!
Check back to page one sw17mamma - ole Vaughny gets a few mentions!! And yes, I did write what street he lives on. Soz!

EmmaVictoriaID
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby EmmaVictoriaID » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:32 am

Well, I must say I found that thread all rather fascinating! As a local resident I am always interested in what goes on in the area, from the negative such as crime to the light-hearted such as celeb spotting, it is one of the perks of living in London (if you give two hoots about celeb spotting obviously, which I do!)! I can see the point of view re. addresses, that is potentially problematic it only takes one person with a screw loose to do something mental but who is to say the celebrities wouldn't come across that person walking down the street anyway?! I'm a huge Take That fan and have been since childhood, I am not planning however, to hang around Mark Owen's house! I'm happy enough to know I might bump into him at the shops, if I did I would undoubtedly be too startstruck to do anything and will stand there with my mouth gaping open until he leaves the vicinity! As long as there are no more street names from this point forth I say spot away... I'll be keeping my eyes peeled!
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:52 am

let's keep it light shall we? I'm way too suffocated by the PC brigade already without being lectured on what is obviously light hearted. unless I've missed a blog, no one has started slating any celeb' have they?

finally a not so small point - jill dando was not murdered by a 'nutcase', her killer has not yet been found. the man convicted was cleared after an appeal process.
moops
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby moops » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:15 pm

Well said Julian :)

Did anyone see Tana Ramsay on Dancing on Ice?? Not the best first performance but I think we should support our local star! Apparently she has promised Gordon a fifth child if she wins, not sure if she'll be putting in 100 percent! :lol:
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:23 pm

crikey that's some promise! no way my wife is getting dance classes for her birthday given the cost of childcare!! :o

MrsAmanda
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MrsAmanda » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:50 pm

I'm new, hope you don't mind me joining in.

I saw Ben Daniels (Cutting It; Law & Order UK) in Balham branch of Boots a few weeks ago. Almost ran over his foot with the puschair. I'm a menace with that thing :oops:
nappyvalleygirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby nappyvalleygirl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:05 pm

Just thought I'd put my tuppence worth in on the local celebs; no street names mentioned but this is where I've seen them.

Neil Pearson - (Drop the dead Donkey etc) - Holmes Place gym, Clapham
Ainsley Harriot - Tsunami restaurant, Clapham North
Doon Mackichan - many times on Clapham Common riding a bike
Billie Piper, Laurence Fox & baby - Clapham High Street
Keith from Eastenders - in Kew Gardens - possibly the worst celeb spot ever......!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.