Have you had your chimney swept, ready for winter?

3 posts
TootSweep
Options:
Share this post on:

Have you had your chimney swept, ready for winter?

Postby TootSweep » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi, I am a professional, reliable and friendly local Chimney Sweep, I use clean dustsheets and a high-efficiency vacuum to ensure that sweeping is mess and dust-free. I recommend that chimneys are swept annually, or twice a year if you are using them often. Woodstoves, multifuel stoves and gas fires need sweeping annually. See http://www.tootsweep.com for my contact details.
Attachments
TootPortrait.jpg
TootSweep
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Have you had your chimney swept, ready for winter?

Postby TootSweep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:25 am

A big thankyou to the many people who have booked me to sweep their open fire or woodburning stove after seeing my post on Nappy Valley.

Just to let you know I still have some availability between now and Christmas, so if you are planning to light that fire over the festive period - I can make sure it's safe to do so.

You never know what might be lurking up your chimney - I found this cat skull in a Tooting chimney last week. Just the skull - no skeleton - which is a bit of a mystery!

Regards, Ian.
Attachments
tootskull.jpg
TootSweep
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Have you had your chimney swept, ready for winter?

Postby TootSweep » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:11 pm

I am asked many times "do gas fires need sweeping" , so I thought I would post here that the answer is 'Yes!"

Although they don't produce any soot or particulates, gas fires can still become blocked with a mixture of cobwebs, feathers, leaves and dust from the brick chimney lining.

It is recommended that they are swept annually for safety. A good quality carbon monoxide alarm should be fitted in every room with a gas appliance ( or open fire / wood-burning stove ) . The latest CO alarms have a 7 year sealed battery and are worth the extra few pounds that they cost.

This photograph shows a beautiful gas fire - just swept and in the process of passing it's smoke test - ready for another 12 months of safe operation.

Regards, Ian at TootSweep.
Attachments
gasfire.jpg

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.