B&Q Parking

11 posts
Haggis
Options:
Share this post on:

B&Q Parking

Postby Haggis » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:06 pm

This is an ALERT for parents re car parking at B&Q Wandsworth. Watch out! The store has started enforcing a parking rule that insists you MUST stay on the premises for the duration of your parking. In other words, if you intend taking the children for a quick break from B&Q shopping to visit nearby McDonalds (like I often do) you could face a £75 fine!!
It happened to me. The carpark was half empty, with no crowding issues, and yet the attendant warned us we must not leave B&Q, or face the fine.
I've spent thousands of pounds in their store and complained to the manager that this is a silly rule that will affect parents with children in particular.
Needless to say, B&Q is on my blacklist now. There's a Homebase across the road anyway. So they will definitely lose out from my DIY custom in future.
Other stores, like Tesco, operate a similar 2 hour park for customers - but don't insist that you can't leave their premises if you need a quick shop elsewhere.
Be warned parents: your Happy Meal might set you back a whopper of a fine.
Attachments
B&Q Wandsworth parking
B&Q Wandsworth parking
IMG_4348.JPG
windmill26
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: B&Q Parking

Postby windmill26 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:12 pm

Or you can just park in McDonalds...
Haggis
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Haggis » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:17 pm

Well, of course, you could walk...or go everywhere by Uber...but when you have children there is such a thing as convenience. Most stores with parking acknowledge this and the "must stay on premises" order from B&Q is not typical in my experience.
parsleysong
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby parsleysong » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks for the warning. I think they've been doing this for a while, because there is usually a guy (the same one every time I'm there, poor sod!) in a non-b&q uniform patrolling the parking area. I guess it's mainly to stop people parking there to use the gym over the road rather than the maccas. The drive-through is another option.
Vhopeful
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Vhopeful » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Seems fair to me, definitely doesn't put me off shopping there.

sloaney donkey
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sloaney donkey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:19 pm

screwfix better
tooposhtopush
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby tooposhtopush » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:42 am

Needless to say, B&Q is on my blacklist now.
They've been tightening up for a while now.

Not sure why but I suspect the parking firm get their money from the tickets issued and as a result they're getting tougher. You used to be allowed to park in that car park when using the gym but that stopped a while ago. I couldn't work out if it was the fault of the gym or the fault of BandQ.

I agree though, to some extent, with the blacklist - I wouldn't go as far as never using them but every time someone makes something less convient I reach for my mouse to shop online a bit more!
mumbelievable
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mumbelievable » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:21 am

I don't understand why you think you should be able to park on somebody's else's property for free - I certainly wouldn't like it if someone parked on your drive when I was out and it was empty
janee
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby janee » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:20 am

Even if, at the times when you have used the car park, there are plenty of empty spaces, there are times when it has been difficult to find a place to park at B&Q when I have gone to the store. I think it is perfectly reasonable for them to ask people who are not using the store to go elsewhere. What is unreasonable is for people to assume that they have a right to park there, even when not spending money in the store. I suspect that they also have a problem with people who live in the flats using their car park, rather than pay the extortionate amount charged to park in the flats.

Talkman
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Talkman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm sure B & Q will survive the loss of your custom.
Dickyd
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Dickyd » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 am

No real comment on the parking issue but just to say ALWAYS check out Toolstation for prices before buying at B&Q. Nearest to SW18 is inside Wickes in Plough Lane

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.