Child Friendly Cafe

36 posts
UnderTheWillowTree
Options:
Share this post on:

Child Friendly Cafe

Postby UnderTheWillowTree » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:30 pm

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/DRK5X8B

If anyone would take the time to please fill out my survey i would very grateful.

I am currently in the process of creating a Child Friendly Cafe in London (location to be confirmed) and have begun my market research. I want to give a service that has the customer in mind all the way so please help me do that!

Many Thanks
Under The Willow Tree Team
UnderTheWillowTree
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Child Friendly Cafe

Postby UnderTheWillowTree » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:13 pm

Thank you so much i am very grateful!

I completely agree with you on the food! If i perhaps post a sample menu feedback surrounding that would also be amazing!
UnderTheWillowTree
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby UnderTheWillowTree » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Children Under The Willow Tree Breakfast Options

Selection of Cereals:
Tots Muesli with Greek Yoghurt & Fruit
Choc Alpha Bites
Multigrain Hoops

Homemade Bread Toasted with mini jam pot,
butter or honey

2 Boiled Eggs with Soliders

Raisin Pancakes with Cheese Cubes, Cucumber sticks & Banana Slices

Baby Bear Porridge Pot

Any adult breakfast can be ordered in half portion for child also

Under The Willow Tree Toddler Tapas

Available from 12:30-3:00pm
Choose 3 items for £7 includes Mini Water/Apple Juice/Orange Juice

Risotto Balls
Sweet Potato, Pea & Feta Croquettes
Vegetable Skewer with Red Pepper Hommus
Cod Dippers
Beans
Sweet Potatoes with Aloi Dip
Mini Salmon Cakes
Sweetcorn Fritters
Steamed Carrots/Green Beans
Flat Breads
Cheese Cubes
Fruit Kebab w/yoghurt

All ingredients are sourced locally and made fresh on site
Gingercat2
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Gingercat2 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:01 pm

Have taken the survey...there are multiple answers as to what I look for in a child friendly cafe.
Space for scooter/ or pram
Good choice of food..no nuggets or sausage and chips please
Activity like colouring provided
Cutlery
Space
Friendly staff
Clean environment

I don't ask for much!

Harvester has a very well thought out menu, with opt in and out selections of food, colouring, relaxed environment and children's cutlery.

I would add weetabix to you cereals..i.would say your toast toppings could be more varied..jam and honey are very sugary.

Marmite or peanut butter are good too x
Alchemy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Alchemy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:44 pm

petal wrote:not the unhealthy boring classic choices of sausage or fish and chips.
I think you need to do both -- a healthy, modern choice is certainly welcome, but "classics" are called that because they always sell. I think from a purely commercial perspective it would be unwise to not offer them and thereby exclude probably quite a large part of their clientele. (Case in point: Compare the Skylark's ambitious menu when they first opened to what they offer now!)

Maybe consider modern/healthy takes on these dishes?

Alchemy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Alchemy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Your survey is broken, in Question 4 I should be able to select multiple options, not just one, and in others the answers are not mutually exclusive.
Last edited by Alchemy on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alchemy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Alchemy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:50 pm

A couple of other thoughts:
  • Find ways to avoid getting stuck with the buy-one-coffee-and-sit-for-hours crowd
  • Try to be busy all day, e.g., by turning into a licensed restaurant in the evening -- your premises are paid, no need to keep them empty
  • Supervised play areas (like Bertie and Boo) are a big draw for parents
nannyalison
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby nannyalison » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:32 pm

I think it's important to have a menu for younger children and older children, a 4 yo will eat a lot less than an 8 yo, but are both eating from the children's menu.
A supervised play area is great, but I don't like to eat lunch in a soft play centre because the children never eat well.
I like the option of a fruit salad for children too.
2009Kat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby 2009Kat » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:16 pm

The kids menu looks lovely but ambitious - my kids would eat nothing off that (as babies they would have!) Suggest you add in some of the "classics" like sausages, pasta etc because there is a reason they are on most menus!

UnderTheWillowTree
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby UnderTheWillowTree » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:45 am

Thank you all for your suggestions some great ideas!!

Our concept is to not be a soft play cafe,more a cafe that welcomes children with their Parents, nannies etc for a nice meal with their needs in mind to.

Been a nanny in London for almost 8 years now i felt there was a gap in the market for more places to cater towards children! Having somewhere like this forum is so great to get such positive suggestions from everyone! Thank you for taking the time!

Please continue to display your thoughts & recommendations!
UnderTheWillowTree
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby UnderTheWillowTree » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 am

2009Kat wrote:The kids menu looks lovely but ambitious - my kids would eat nothing off that (as babies they would have!) Suggest you add in some of the "classics" like sausages, pasta etc because there is a reason they are on most menus!
Thank you will defiently keep your post in mind

As we are not meat eaters we won't be serving any, the menu will rotate over time with the seasons this is merely an example of whats worked well for me in the past as a nanny! Pasta will of course be added how did i leave it out! Thank you!
UnderTheWillowTree
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby UnderTheWillowTree » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:51 am

Alchemy wrote:Your survey is broken, in Question 4 I should be able to select multiple options, not just one, and in others the answers are not mutually exclusive.
Thank you Alchemy- I will look into it! All very new to me so thank you for pointing that out!
UnderTheWillowTree
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby UnderTheWillowTree » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:57 am

Gingercat2 wrote:Have taken the survey...there are multiple answers as to what I look for in a child friendly cafe.
Space for scooter/ or pram
Good choice of food..no nuggets or sausage and chips please
Activity like colouring provided
Cutlery
Space
Friendly staff
Clean environment

I don't ask for much!

Harvester has a very well thought out menu, with opt in and out selections of food, colouring, relaxed environment and children's cutlery.

I would add weetabix to you cereals..i.would say your toast toppings could be more varied..jam and honey are very sugary.

Marmite or peanut butter are good too x
Thank you Gingercat2- We have very similar views, i want all the above and more!! Weetabix are a great choice i have just always found them so hit & miss with kids!

Eating at our Cafe will be a treat hence the little bit of sugar toppings but those other condiments are easily added too thank you!

There will be a small section in the Cafe that will have some items to keep the little ones entertained with a Mini Coffee Bar, colouring station & Lego Table.

2009Kat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby 2009Kat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:10 am

Actually one more thought - you might want to search NVN for posts about the Crumpet café that used to be on Northcote. It did try to do what you are thinking of (nice food, space for prams, small play section...) and was great before it went downhill/out of business. Just so you can consider all angles etc.
UnderTheWillowTree
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby UnderTheWillowTree » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:33 am

2009Kat wrote:Actually one more thought - you might want to search NVN for posts about the Crumpet café that used to be on Northcote. It did try to do what you are thinking of (nice food, space for prams, small play section...) and was great before it went downhill/out of business. Just so you can consider all angles etc.
Thank you 2009Kat- Have had a read through and some great comments!

Northcote Road will unfortunately, for now not be the location for my Cafe for a variety of reasons- high rents been the main reason! But what better place than NappyValley Net to obtain great feedback and suggestions so grateful for this Forum since i arrived to London. I started my Nanny Career in Clapham and would have been so lost without this Network!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.