Primary School Waiting List Stress - 2017

29 posts
BalhamDaddy
Options:
Share this post on:

Primary School Waiting List Stress - 2017

Postby BalhamDaddy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi everyone,

We didn't receive a place at any of the schools on our list (we only put three) and were allocated a school instead. We are really gutted, and particularly surprised we didn't get a place at either Henry Cavendish or Telferscot as we would have got into both last year... in fact we would have got into Telferscot comfortably in each of the last 4 years (340 metres away)

Anyone else had a similar experience? Any tips on what to expect on waiting lists?? Lambeth won't tell me what number we are on the list until 9th May... but surely we can't be that far down given how close we are!?

I'm looking for a bit of moral support and good vibes on our waiting list chances please! (plus a healthy dose of realism)
actuallyadad
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Primary School Waiting List Stress - 2017

Postby actuallyadad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:46 pm

In 2015 AND AGAIN in 2016 we got into the first choices about two/three weeks later having been given none on our list first time.

(Second kid wasn't sibling preference as first went somewhere else in the end). This was Belleville school, so different to you, but it does show that the lists move substantially.
claphamite
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby claphamite » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Which school did you get into?

I suppose a risk with only putting three is that you reduce your chances of getting a place if they are all heavily oversubscribed, and then you get allocated a random school.

I can't speak for Balham, but I know a couple of the Clapham schools around the Old Town / Common continue to allocate pretty much up to the first day of term from the waiting list. This may only work at the particular school we heard from the head, but she said that if you let them know you are really keen on the school, and ring up regularly then you can get an idea of where you are on the waiting list. Nothing to lose I suppose in that approach.

We got our first choice - Heathbrook- so are obviously very happy. But it must feel ridiculous that you are unable to get into one of the three local schools to your house when you are in spitting distance.
BalhamDaddy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BalhamDaddy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Good to hear that things move actuallydad. I expect that there is a higher than average number of families that go private in the belleville area... which probably helped.

We got given St Bede's Catholic Infant School. Wasn't on our list, but is a 'Good' school and also very close to our house so it could have been a lot worse.... Never expected to get a spot in a catholic faith school though when we didn't provide any faith criteria evidence. The issue with St Bede's is that it only runs up until the end of Year 2 so we'll potentially have this whole headache again in 3 years time.

Telferscot and Henry Cav are our two closest schools (other than St Bede's) and we bought a place in the area in a large part because we knew the schools were good... which only adds to the frustration.
BalhamDaddy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BalhamDaddy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Just to add... we are 340m from Telferscot and about 430m from Henry Cav...

Although we do actually live on the same road as Henry Cavendish (Hydethorpe Road)

Balhammumwithbabies
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balhammumwithbabies » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Balham Daddy,
we must live very close (any chance you are A's dad?) and had HC, Telferscot then Alderbrook and also got St Bede's.
Desperately waiting info on offer distances (meant to be today/ tomorrow) and then waiting list positions. Did you get your exact distances from lambeth? If you email them (can dig out the address) they can tell you the distance they calculated. Not a huge help but might help gauge waiting list position once the offer distance info is released?
Not too optimistic about waiting list movement, last year Telferscot had barely any movement which we were told is typical. HC had 14 between offer day and 1st october but a huge number of siblings this year and i assume they are unlikely to turn down a place.
I would love a sibling policy and clamp down on renters in line with Wandsworth's policy.
BalhamDaddy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BalhamDaddy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Yes I am A's dad... I'll send you a private message
actuallyadad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby actuallyadad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:59 pm

I think the sibling policy should be subject to the catchment area. Ie sibling only gets preference if they still live in catchment area. Seems fair to me.
BalhamDaddy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BalhamDaddy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Balhammumwithbabies I sent you a PM (or I think did). Let me know if you didn't get it.

headshrinker
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby headshrinker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Do people in that end of Balham only put Lambeth schools on the application then? From there you could do Ravenstone or Trinity St Mary's too. Both good schools but in Wandsworth.
Battersea Mummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Battersea Mummy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:24 pm

Sorry to hear that you didn't get into Telferscot or HC on first round offers when you do live so close to both. Telferscot is also very sibling heavy this year.

We were having to deal with the stress of waiting lists and Lambeth council two years ago. We did eventually get into Telferscot a week after term had started because someone had moved out of the area over the summer. However, as I was even told by someone in the school admissions department at Lambeth, the department basically shuts down over the school summer holidays, so nothing will happen between mid/end of July and September. Totally crazy and so stressful for parents. But just hang in there if you are still waiting for a place at either school and it gets near to the start of term.
Pud1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pud1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:18 pm

It can also be the case that parents don't bother to inform the LA or the school that they have moved. The first the school knows about it is when the child just doesn't turn up in September.
windmill26
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby windmill26 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:37 am

Pud1 wrote:It can also be the case that parents don't bother to inform the LA or the school that they have moved. The first the school knows about it is when the child just doesn't turn up in September.
This is a huge problem for both primary and secondary schools. I personally think that a fine should be introduced for this kind of behaviour. It smacks of "I am alright Jack. ..stuff everyone else! ".

mumtobusyboy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mumtobusyboy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:16 am

We have a few places remaining at Trinity St. Mary's Church of England Primary School which has been serving the community of Balham for over 150 years. Known as a friendly, family orientated school, with just one class per year and smaller than average classes, we are committed to outstanding teaching standards and exciting, inspiring lessons.

We are currently in the top 5% of primary schools nationally for maths and in the top 20% nationally for English. We are 10th in Wandsworth!

Our latest Ofsted comments that 'pupils are making rapid progress in reading, writing and mathematics across the school'.

My son is incredibly happy there having been to the nursery and this year reception! He is making fantastic progress too, huge leaps in his reading and maths.

If you would like to visit our school, please call to make an appointment. 0208 673 4166

http://www.tsm.wandsworth.sch.uk/
BalhamDaddy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BalhamDaddy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:18 am

Hi Batterseamummy, I sent you a PM. Wondered how far outside the initial catchment area you were and what number on the waiting list you were?

Headshrinker - no you can apply to schools in both boroughs. I also had Alderbrook on my list (Wandsworth).

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.