Help! Am organising birthday drinks for my husband's 40th . . .

9 posts
Balhamberry
Options:
Share this post on:

Help! Am organising birthday drinks for my husband's 40th . . .

Postby Balhamberry » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:52 pm

So, I'm organising some drinks in town for my husband's 40th next month.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make it a bit more of an occasion than just a general group meet up. He won't want anything that is too much of a fuss or draws too much attention to us, but equally, would like it to be a bit more of a birthday celebration. We haven't really been to any 40th parties with this set up, only family BBQ type events (and the rest of us are younger than him!)

There will be about 25 of us, and will be at a bar in Soho, drinks, bar food etc, on a Friday evening. We will have a small area reserved, but will be in the main bar area.

And should I organise a cake?? Or is that a bit weird given the location and the fact it will be a busy bar on a Friday evening . . . ??
daisydaisy
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Help! Am organising birthday drinks for my husband's 40th . . .

Postby daisydaisy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Yes to cake!
There's a brilliant cake shop on Sydenham high street that will do any type of design and it's yummy!
misstemple
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby misstemple » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:24 am

Such a lovely idea. Could do a theme, like "hats" if you don't think it's too silly! I went to a 60th like this, but it was at a private home.
Regarding the cake, I would order mini tartelettes because it's a lot easier to serve & looks pretty too! I did this for my husband's birthday and it means you can order a mix of 2-3 different types and have a simple candle 40th in the middle.
Just an idea.
It will be special no matter what, it's nice to celebrate.
Balhamberry
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balhamberry » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:03 pm

Thank you! I like the idea of individual cakes/ treats.
Seb
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Seb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:06 pm

I received a caricature for my birthday - loved it and it's something that can be passed around the pub for everyone to laugh at.

Depending on how much fun you want to make it you could also go for:

1) dice games to decide who drinks or doesn't drink
2) a quiz about him (might not work if he is very shy or pub very busy)
3) paper coasters for drinks printed with photos of him as a child on them - great fun and easy to do and even better if he doesn't realise for a while

not sure if these are too infantile but hope they help!

Kayleigh91
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Kayleigh91 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi if you need a cake my mum is amazing a lady contacted me 5days before needing a 2tier cake Scottish themed to feed 40people woman was very pleased if you what's app me I can send you pics of all her work and send you her details so she can discuss price and what u roughly want. She has loads of reference's . My number is 07900817173 she is based on sw12
Balhamberry
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balhamberry » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:55 am

Thanks all. Love the beer mats idea, will definitely do that.

Major flash of inspiration triggered by Annabel's round up e-mail this morning. On the offchance anyone has a lifesize cardboard David Beckham they are willing to lend out for a night on the town, let me know!!
loragrey
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby loragrey » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:51 pm

Mushave wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:50 pmI also need ideas for organizing a party for a loved one. I wanted to organize birthday drinks. And I don 't know how to do it better , I should look up drink recipes on the Internet and organize everything myself. Or invite a professional bartender to a party.

I think inviting a bartender is a great idea! We did this once and were very pleased. These were the most delicious cocktails at our party.
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Annabel (admin) » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:29 pm

A good friend of mine, her son is just back from travelling and before that he was a bar tender at a VERY famous London restaurant.

I know he's been doing some odd jobs so I can ask if he is available?

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.