Moving to London - Graveney, Bollinbroke, Chestnut Grove???

13 posts
AngyMum
Options:
Share this post on:

Moving to London - Graveney, Bollinbroke, Chestnut Grove???

Postby AngyMum » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:59 am

Hello, we are about to move to London from Italy and trying to find out the right school for our older daughter which is starting secondary in Sept.
Which of these three would you pick up first? I read negative reviews about the Bollingbroke, what do you thinK?
We do not want a "posh", snobby school, nonetheless the environment is important especially in our case where everuthing in our lives is going to change.
thanks
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Moving to London - Graveney, Bollinbroke, Chestnut Grove???

Postby Goldhawk » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:51 pm

You have already missed the normal admissions round so it will be pot luck as to which schools have space left
windmill26
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby windmill26 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:32 pm

As Goldhawk already pointed out you have already missed the normal admissions round so you will get a place in a school in the borough that has a free place when you move and your daughter will go on your preferred school waiting list.All the school that you mentioned have very long waiting lists.
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rooting4tooting » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:03 pm

you will have to go where you are sent and that could be out of Wandsworth.
you will have to go on the waiting lists for the schools you want. One possibility is that most kids will be settled in their schools by the start of the new year and won't want to move even if they are not at their first choice school. Things to consider are unless you are in the top forms at Gravney it is only an average school, go for Chestnut Grove or try for more high performing schools such as Greycoat or Kingsdale. They are train rides away but don't have catchment areas, but their results speak for themselves.
Pud1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pud1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:22 pm

As others have pointed out, it is unfortunately not a great time of the year to be moving as all places have been allocated. The schools you mention are all good schools but they won't have spaces now. Your best bet is to contact the council where you will be living and they will explain the process for a late application. Good luck!

PattyGno
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby PattyGno » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi,
I am also Italian and have been living in Clapham for 17 years. My eldest child goes to Bolingbroke Academy, he is 15 years old (Year 10) and my youngest son will be starting next Sept. I don't know where you have read bad reviews about the school, but they must come from parents who disagree with the school policy. The school must be firm with the pupils, as it's a mixed ability school, non-selective, and it's important that every child has the opportunity to learn in a calm and organised environment. My son is very happy there and my youngest son cannot wait to start in Sept. The school is local to most families; it takes my child only 15min to walk there, whereas there are a lot of children who have to travel far to reach their schools. It's very much a community school and the Parents Association is very strong, which is quite unusual for most secondary schools.The teachers are absolutely fantastic, so dedicated. Bolingbroke is part of ARK Network which runs about 26 schools in the country. This means that the school can draw from experience/resources of the ARK network. We had a pupil who came from Italy 2 years ago without speaking a word of English and the school was so helpful...and now he is doing better than the mother-tongue pupils. How old is your daughter? Places always become available during the year. You would be surprised how many families move homes! I think you will be fine, you just need to find a place very close to the school you choose. By the way, Bolingbroke is located in a great area for families! If you need any more help, please let me know. If you get a place, I would be happy to meet your family and introduce you to the Bolingbroke community. Good luck!
AngyMum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AngyMum » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks all for comments and suggestions!
@PattyGno: good to know about your experience which being from an italian I value particularly as probably we have a common ground. I'll be in and out from May, while the whole family is moving Mid June after the school ends.
It would be lovely to meet you and start making new friends!!!!
I'll write another post, similar topic
Flowermummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Flowermummy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:31 pm

I am not an expert in secondary school admission...but if you move in May very very close to your school of choice - won't you be higher up on the waitlist, as priority is by distance to school?
You should read the admission criteria thoroughly and call Wandsworth pupil services to confirm.
louisemere
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby louisemere » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:25 am

Hello there
Good luck with the move! I know your situation very well as my two step sons moved to the country after all the admissions deadlines. After a term of being in a school that we were not too happy with a space in Year 8 became available at Bollingbroke and we really are so happy with the school - as is my step son (the youngest is still at Primary).
I wish you every success!

DeeMummyof4
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby DeeMummyof4 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:33 am

As others mentioned I think it is going to be a case of crossing your fingers and hoping to get a place somewhere good. My eldest goes to Bolingbroke he's 16 is in Yr 11 about to do GCSE's, he's been there since Yr 7 having previously gone to one of the feeder schools near by. I have to say we've had a sort of love/hate relationship with Bolingbroke. They have some amazing teachers particularly in the English and Maths Departments who actively engage with parents and regularly correspond about good and bad issues. There are unfortunately some not so great teachers who are less than enthusiastic about their jobs and seem to be more interested in their own power trips than teaching and keeping in contact with parents. We've had various issues which admittedly were eventually sorted out after meetings with the Principle. I feel that this was because we were one of the 'founding families' and the Principle was more accessible when there were only one or two years at the school as opposed to now. I know other parents that have had very vallied complaints and instead of trying to work with the parent the School basically said if you don't like it leave! Anyway just wanted to give my experience of one of the schools mentioned, good luck with your applications. :D
Darkmag1c
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Darkmag1c » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:29 pm

I have to say i also agree witg a previous comment... if you have heard negative comments about bolingbroke then it is from people who either havent been there or from the sort of parents who believe their kids can do no wrong. I have 2 children at Bolingbroke in yr 11 and yr 10 and one of them has special needs. The school have been fantastic in supporting my child... They are firm but fair, Supportive encouraging understanding friendly and all the things i look for in a secondary school, and my child doing their GCSEs this year has been given helpful advice support etc. yes there are some kids who misbehave and cause problems but tell me a secondary school that doesnt have this. I would recommend Bolingbroke
rwickham
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rwickham » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:01 am

Just to add to this.
I think there are some new schools that probably do have places - eg Harris Battersea and St John Bosco (Roman Catholic).

Pupil Services Section at Wandsworth Council have been very helpful in replies to emails I had with them - admissions@wandsworth.gov.uk or give them a call.
pumpkin23
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pumpkin23 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:46 pm

Darkmagic- I have asked advice and am seeking advice on two schools. I feel that your comment that anyone disagreeing or having a bad experience of a school, in this case Bolingbroke 'are the sort of parents whose children can do no wrong' is wrong on many levels.

It is just as important to listen to feed back from disgruntled parents who may have had a bad experience as it is to listen to parents who have had a good experience. The fact that you have had a good experience is great but don't tar all unhappy parents with that put down. It isn't a one size fits all situation and one persons experience is entirely different on anothers.

As a parent looking for feedback, it's important to hear of good and bad experiences and there are plenty of bad experiences of Bolingbroke Academy and plenty of good ones too.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.