Commute to the City - Clapham South or Junction??

18 posts
CDSW11
Options:
Share this post on:

Commute to the City - Clapham South or Junction??

Postby CDSW11 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Hello we are looking at houses and hesitating between one on Mallison road and another one on Kyrle road.
For the first one I'd commute from Clapham Junction to Waterloo, then "the Drain" to Bank, the second would probably mean Clapham South straight to bank with the Northern line.

I was warned that getting in the tube from Clpaham South between 8 and 8.45 would be impossible.

What is it like at Clapham Junction?
Thanks for your lights!
alongwayfromhome
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Commute to the City - Clapham South or Junction??

Postby alongwayfromhome » Wed May 10, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi

I commute from Clapham South to Bank area, mostly during the peak hours of 810-830 as I have a nursery drop off at 8am. It is busy but not impossible by any means (it is a very different story at Clapham Common). You might have to wait a couple of trains at times but they come every minute. Once you are on a train it is very quick up to Bank with no messing around.

Hope that helps.
CDSW11
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CDSW11 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:35 am

Thanks That's good to know.
What is it like from Clapham Junction please?
this_is_cat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby this_is_cat » Thu May 11, 2017 9:48 am

Going from Clapham Junction would mean going via Waterloo on the W&C line (the drain), which is a nightmare
There is always a queue to get onto the platform, which can sometimes take 15+ mins
Some of the platforms at Waterloo have exits mid-platform which take you straight down to the tube, but at least once a week, the trains would get diverted onto a different platform meaning you have to go out of the main ticket barriers, and then back into the tube entrance, which would easily add 30 mins to the journey with all the queuing.

The other option from Clapham junction is to go to Balham and then get the Northern line to Bank from there. Easier to get a seat on both bits, but you have to get a zone 1-3 travel card
2009Kat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby 2009Kat » Thu May 11, 2017 10:17 am

Its a personal choice. Personally I prefer the waterloo route as I can't stand the crush underground on the northern line and I find the drain queue more civilised and not that bad. Also depends on the time you are travelling.
I used to walk to the city from waterloo which was quite nice.

Alchemy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Alchemy » Thu May 11, 2017 11:22 am

I'm with 2009Kat here.

I would rather travel on a (packed) overground train than an (even more packed) Tube, and the change to Waterloo & City line is not bad at all. The queues look scary but move very quickly.

And yes, in Summer the walk from Waterloo along the river to the City is the best commute I've ever had -- a very relaxed and pleasant walk, and a great way to get some fresh air before being stuck in an office all day.

The only downside is that Waterloo station used to get completely messed up once or twice a month in the evenings, which made the journey home a nightmare, but there are (slow and crowded) alternatives (bus, Tube).

Also, Clapham Jn has the obvious advantage that if you want to go somewhere else, for example on the weekend or in the evening, there are connections everywhere (Victoria, South of England, Gatwick, etc).
actuallyadad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby actuallyadad » Thu May 11, 2017 12:44 pm

For me it's the tube every time. It works way better and the trains come every minute and it's overall faster.

ALSO I think Kyrle is nicer than Mallinson for sure. Mallinson has more traffic as it links to Northocote Road. Plus Kyrle is closer to the Common.
Nims
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nims » Thu May 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Personally, I would go for Mallinson Road, as I see from your other post that you are considering Eaton House the Manor for your daughter - Mallinson road is that little bit nearer for you in terms of walking there (or even getting a bus there) although the walk across the common from Kyrle road is nice in good weather.

As for Clapham Junction to Waterloo, as long as you leave early enough then the trains are absolutely fine... I leave at 7.30am and get to CJ for about 7.40 and no problems getting on a train (apart from when there's signalling problems and so on). It's more challenging after 8am and worst around 8.30am I believe. But as long as you aim to get on near middle or the back of the train (when loads of people get off, then there's usually more room for you to get on). Then it's the Waterloo and City line to Bank - or you can jump on the Northern line at Waterloo. In terms of tube strikes, then CJ offers more varied travel options such as the bus (77 to waterloo, then there's several buses to the city from there or even walking which other posters have mentioned).

I think congestion issues is the same for the tube as well, as long as it's before 8am, you should be ok. Thing is, if you have no choice to travel until after 8am then it's pretty much pot luck with both, but from past experience, I feel that the train offers more room.

Also Mallinson road is fairly close to all day nurseries within the 'between the commons' area such as Northcote House (Salcott road) and Bright Horizons (Chatham Road) if that's the childcare you're considering, and nearer to the shops on Northcote road - always useful if you need to nip out for a couple of items such as bread / fruit.

Go with your gut feel though, that's the most important for you and your family. If you prefer Kyrle road, then go for it. If you prefer Mallinson Road, then go for it. Good luck and don't forget to let us know which one you eventually decide on!
runningmummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby runningmummy » Thu May 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Clapham South for sure. I sometimes have to do CJ and alway prefer Clapham South. Yes it can be busy but once you have a head in a book it's easy. CJ is up down up down steps. Cold, late trains. Kyrle Rd by the common is the most fantastic location as also so close to northcote.

NP1981
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NP1981 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:25 am

Whichever you choose you can mix it up a bit. I'm on winsham grove and do Clapham South to the city most days (its busy but it's fine... it's a London rush hour commute). On a nice day I might walk to Waterloo and pootle up the northcote rd on my way home after work... living up the far end doesn't mean you can't still use CJ!
oab
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby oab » Fri May 12, 2017 8:39 am

I think both are as bad as each other , really ... so you should go with the house and location that you like best.
Are you interested in being in the catchment area for the local state schools (Honeywell and Belleville)? If yes you can find out from Wandsworth council the exact distance fro the houses to these schools and see which one is better located (Wandsworth also publish the exact catchment area distances for the last few years)
BTCdad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BTCdad » Fri May 12, 2017 10:08 am

Agreed that neither commute is ideal. I personally far prefer Mallinson. It feels like a proper neighbourhood with shops and restaurants nearby. I find the atmosphere on Kyrle and nearby roads a bit suburban.
soph
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby soph » Fri May 12, 2017 11:01 am

Clapham junction all the way! It's only 10 minutes on the train and although crowded the you can always get on at the back of the train. The lengthening of platforms in the summer should help too in the longer term. I then walk from Waterloo to the city and it's good exercise! I also only pay for train only which makes commuting cheaper. Go the for the best house location though. Good luck.

pollyannesw11
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pollyannesw11 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:56 am

As others have said I think it depends on timing - but I used to live in Clapham and get the Northern Line in and vowed never to do it again - I have friends at Clapham South who regularly have to wait 5+ trains before they can get on.
I get to Clapham Junction at around 7.45 / 7.50 and always get on the first train, and always get a seat by Vauxhall. Waterloo & City line at 8am is absolutely fine as well, although you may have to wait 5 minutes to get on to the platform, you're then getting on to an empty train. Plus the W&C commuters are much more civilised than the northern line :lol:

Hope that helps!
CDSW11
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CDSW11 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:52 pm

I did not think people would be so categorically split like this! Thank you all for your advices. The challenge will be those mornings where we do the drop-offs to the Nursery at 8am and will be on the train at 8.15...

In the end, we went for a house closer to Clapham Junction.
What I have my eyes on is using the overground to Whitechapel and walk back to the city. Let's see what the best strategy is!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.