Giving up buying BTC - What about Balham?

24 posts
CDSW12
Options:
Share this post on:

Giving up buying BTC - What about Balham?

Postby CDSW12 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:31 pm

We've been looking at around 20 houses now. Our cirteria was that it has to be in the catchement of Honeywell and/or Belleville.
I now conclude that unless you are really next door, you can't be getting a place for sure. If we pay that kind of price for a house and can't have the free school then it does not work for us.
We love Northcote road.. but I have now started looking at BAlahm. Prices are much more reasonable and Henry Cavendish Primary School is Outstanding. Plus there is also La Retraite Roman Catholic Girls' School which would work for us afterwards potentially as we have a daughter and are catholic.

What do you think? Is it a good idea? Is it still too much of a rough area? Is it cool? Are those schools of the same standard as Honeywell / Belleville?

Thanks for your thgouhts!
Purple_sage
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Giving up buying BTC - What about Balham?

Postby Purple_sage » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 pm

There's also Holy Ghost primary on Nightingale lane in Balham which is an outstanding Catholic state school.
CDSW12
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CDSW12 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:23 pm

Yes I saw this one. But the streets around it are not very appealing to us. We like little cafes, restaurants, shops around and this area seem a bit too quiet for us.
That's why we like BTC but somehow, the houses are super expensive and not so big.. if at least I had confidence we'd get into the school fine but reading posts it seems this is not even guaranteed due to people who rent and move out.
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rooting4tooting » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:11 pm

If you want cool, then head to the Red Post Hill area of Dulwich, otherwise when I lived in Balham (having moved oh so far to Tooting Bec) Abbeville Road was the cooler place to live. Not sure about state schools there though, but I would always favour Ravenstone over HCS.
And La Retraite, the results speak for themselves although many parents are quite snobby and don't send their children there. It is on our list at number 4, but March 1st is coming up fast......
Purple_sage
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Purple_sage » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:24 pm

St Mary's Roman Catholic Primary school in Clapham is also another ofsted outstanding school and Abbeville village is in its catchment area as well as Clapham Common/old town

Bunnypigeon1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bunnypigeon1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:37 pm

We moved from BT'C to a house just off wandsworth common where Balham technically starts. It was a much bigger house than we could have ever got btc and never regretted the move! Balham high road is a bit on the tacky side in places but rapidly changing and the cafes on hildreth street are really very good, there is the Waitrose plus a good selection of shops and restaurants. And having Bertie and boo round the corner is a life saviour! I definitely would not call the area rough! Northcote road is 20 mins walk away or a quick dash in the car. Our kids go private but from what I've heard Rutherford house school is the one to aim for if you want a state school in the area.
Pud1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pud1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:08 pm

If you were to consider one of the Catholic primary schools, admission would depend on where you go to church. Priority is given to parishioners.
Pud1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pud1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Also, I would agree with what posters have said about Abbeville Road. Lovely road full of families and cafes, restaurants etc. St Mary's nearby, or Bonneville or possibly Macauley.
Nev123
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nev123 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:12 pm

Balham being rough gave me a little chuckle! No it's really not. As some one mentioned there's the odd not so nice shop on the high road but in general it's pretty smart and getting smarter, certainly no worse than the area as you get closer to Clapham junction station. Hildreth St especially (not northcote by any means but perhaps a bit cooler as far more independents). Delis, cafes, wine tasting shop. It's really pretty good these days (night and day to how it was 10 years ago when I first lived in Balham). Waitrose and Sainsbury's very useful. Bertie and boo essential with young kids. Nicely in the middle of Wandsworth, Tooting and Clapham Common. We live the Wandsworth common side so also have Bellevue Road a couple of minutes away - which we love. Also puts us in catchment for Rutherford house which seems to be increasingly the popular choice. So there is lots to like. And as someone else said, if you miss it, northcote is a 20 min walk or very quick bus.

LP73
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LP73 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Balham, rough?!! I must have missed that period! If you are thinking if Balham then I would move soon as house prices are rising each month. You will find that the area is full of pretty cool parents who want to be away from the stereo typical NV area of bankers and such. Many media types live in the area, it's fun and people don't take themselves too seriously.
On each street you will find a real mixture of children that go to state schools to those who go to private schools.
Houses tend to be bigger the further you move away from Balham towards Streatham Hill and have much bigger gardens.
Whilst there are some not so great shops on the high street (the same as NC Road a few years back) I am sure that in time they will disappear due to rate increases.
If you're considering Henry Cavendish school then have a look at that area and in Streatham Hill - which is a 15 minute walk away from the school. A good example of a really nice road there is Criffel Avenue.
Balhamberry
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balhamberry » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:56 am

If you would like cafes and more of a community feel have you looked around Ritherdon Road area of Balham? You would hopefully be in catchment for Rutherford House, or st anselms (if you are catholic and a regular mass goer there).
delsh
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby delsh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:10 am

Balham rough?!!! That made me laugh out loud, that's hilarious! You'd have to have lived a pretty sheltered life to consider Balham rough.

Ok, so the High Street isn't packed to the gills with Gails Bakeries and suchlike but as a result it is a whole lot more useful, and cheaper, on a day-to-day basis than say Abbeville Road. Plus the transport links are far better than BTC.
janee
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby janee » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:05 am

Is it only me that finds this conversation incredibly depressing? Between the Commons, as it is now called, used to be "very rough". The market was brilliant and the community was very mixed. I realise things have changed but I now hate going into the area and am glad that my little corner of Battersea isn't full of 'nice' little shops and wine bars (with customers who rudely block the pavements) and pushchairs used as battering rams.

Yes Balham is changing but, please, consider joining a community not shaping it to your wishes.

actuallyadad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby actuallyadad » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:00 pm

I never understand people who moan about areas changing for the better and becoming nicer. Beats me...
actuallyadad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby actuallyadad » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Back on to topic- have you looked at the area to the north of Clapham Common? Taybridge Road etc? Cheaper than BTC, near the common and nearish Northcote Rd and Clapham Old town. Also near Battersea Rise which is getting nice. Some good state schools there I think?

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.