Noise reduction and windows

14 posts
sw18er
Options:
Share this post on:

Noise reduction and windows

Postby sw18er » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:09 am

Has anyone had any success with reducing noise from the road outside their house? We on a road that gets a fair few cars cutting through, and while the double-glazing on the sash windows does a reasonable job reducing the noise, it's not perfect. I'm happy to spend a bit of money if there's a solution that works, but have heard mixed reports about the difference thick curtains and or triple-glazing make. Anyone have any success stories?
thepea
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Noise reduction and windows

Postby thepea » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:17 pm

My friend had double glazing with acoustic glass fitted in the windows on the front of her house. They've really reduced the noise from traffic for her, she's very happy with the results.
Calaya
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Calaya » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Do you know who did the work?
Many thanks
Calaya
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Calaya » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:19 pm

Do you know who did the work?
Many thanks
Calaya
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Calaya » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:52 pm

Could anyone recommend someone who has built secondary window to cancel the noise of the planes successfully. Thanks

claphamsth
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby claphamsth » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:15 am

Hello! I wonder if anyone has an update on this thread? Have you installed acoustic or triple glazing and has it been effective? If so, can you provide the name of the company/supplier? We also live on a fairly busy road and intend to upgrade our single glazed original wooden sashes to PVC double glazed sashes, with acoustic glass, if the latter is worthwhile, so would love to hear any success/avoid stories. Many thanks.
pkmang
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pkmang » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:47 am

Have no measurements of decibels or anything, but feel that acoustic glass double glazing did a good job. If you are fitting double glazing would say go for the acoustic as it's only a little bit more. But would i change existing double glazing to upgrade to acoustic? Probably not worth the cost.
Jellie75
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jellie75 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:47 am

Hello!

I live on a busy main road in Battersea and recently had new sash windows fitted with acoustic glass... the noise reduction is amazing! I can't give you any technical data but to give you an idea, before the new Windows we would need to have the tv volume at around '30' to vaguely hear anything and now we have it set at around '12'! We really feel it was worth the investment.

We are also going to have shutters fitted next week so I'll give you an update on any noise reduction these provide - I'm feeling optimistic!
claphamsth
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby claphamsth » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:22 am

Thanks for both replies, they are really helpful. Jellie75, can you give me the name of the company that supplied and installed your new windows? Many thanks.

AyrtonWindows
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AyrtonWindows » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:14 am

From our experience, we know this is a very tricky subject, given that people have varied thresholds for noise ingress in the home. Triple-glazing or “acoustic” double glazing often come with decibel values and other technical jargon that can be difficult to make head or tail of. There are also practical and aesthetic issues with curtains and secondary glazing. So the correct solution is a personal one and you should look for professional advice. It is unlikely that this will mean entirely new windows given that they are already double-glazed, however a senior member of our team would be happy to assist (free for an NV user) – this is a conversation we have been having with people for 10 years!

Please contact the Ayrton showroom to arrange an appointment on 0208 877 8920.

Ayrton Bespoke
Jellie75
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jellie75 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Clapham, I have sent you a message...
cbbSE4
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cbbSE4 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:42 pm

Clapham, we just recently had 8.8mm acoustic double glazing in timber frames (internal glazing is 4mm with 12mm spacer in between) installed to replace our 3mm single glazed bay window that was quite old. We live on a busy street so noise insulation was a significant concern of ours. It has made quite a difference and we are very pleased with the results. That said, the road noise is still audible but much more muffled than it was before. It has made our front living room so much more pleasant. Its important to realize that you won't be able to shut out the noise entirely. I think if it were a bedroom one would have to go with secondary glazing. My understanding is that this provides better insulation compared to double glazing even with acoustic glass. We used MTM Herman near Streatham and can recommend them enthusiastically. Very professional service and their detailing and quality is excellent.
claphamsth
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby claphamsth » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:30 pm

Thank you cbbSE4.

Jellie75
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jellie75 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Just wanted to follow up on my previous comment... we had the shutters fitted and whilst they have helped a little with further noise reduction it wasn't really necessary as we really are still very very happy with the windows and also the after care we have received.

We used Chapel Lane for the windows and most impressed that they followed up with us to check all ok... I really do highly recommend them!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.