How to get rid of foxes

20 posts
sambel
Options:
Share this post on:

How to get rid of foxes

Postby sambel » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:10 pm

I have foxes in my garden who shriek all night and its driving us mad. They fight at the bottom of the garden and climb on top of the shed. Does anyone know how we can get rid of them? I think they may be living under the shed but I am not sure.
SJ1979
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: How to get rid of foxes

Postby SJ1979 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:22 am

We have a dreadful problem with foxes in our garden, constantly. It drives me mad, but after several unsuccessful attempts at catching them using a pest control company (they were too clever - taking the bait but not getting caught!), we've given up. It also doesn't help that some of our neighbours encourage them. I posted this a while back - and someone mentioned Fox Solutions website, which offers some products which are meant to deter them. Good luck!

http://www.nappyvalleynet.com/fed-up-of ... t4474.html
Pod
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pod » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:38 am

I heard that you can contact the council to come and get rid of them? I am about to contact wandsworth council as there are about 6 of the blighters living ontop of a shed three doors down (shed is over grown with foliage that they live in!) The keep us awake and also tear through our vegetable patch and dig under our fence, leaving such a mess. Am sure they also sleep on our doorstep as it stinks to high heaven of them, a friend told my husband to urinate on the area to deter them - but not sure I want that smell there either lol :lol: Wish me luck - I will post any findings!
Jillthereflexologist
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jillthereflexologist » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi there I attach a link to a site called the fox project which is a charity that gives advice on foxes. I note that it also says it is currently mating season which is possibly why you are more aware of the noise http://www.foxproject.org.uk/
ordinarygirl09
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ordinarygirl09 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:47 pm

We had bother with foxes coming into our garden in the Summer. My sister is a horticulturalist and told us to get Lion Dung (seriously)! Apparently it keeps foxes away as they can smell the dung and they think that a natural predator is around...

We managed to find some on the internet in pellet form, called Roar. You spread it around your garden every few months, depending on how much rain there has been.

It worked for us but we only had some visiting foxes at night, your situation sounds quite bad. Anyway, it's always something to try.

brihoney
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby brihoney » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:45 pm

We had a problem of foxes poo-ing in our raised beds at the bottom of the garden. I tried a repellent from a garden centre but didn't seem to work. However, what did work was when I started emptying my son's potty (wee only!) onto the beds. Its added nitrogen for the plants too, and has worked a treat. I had given up after october as it was a bit cold to go out in the garden, and towards the end of Nov poos started appearing again, but the odd potty once a week seems to keep them away.

Of course, if you don't have a child of potty age might be a bit trickier - could you persuade your partner to do it, or is your garden overlooked by neighbours...

I got loads of other weird suggestions off my facebook friends that I didn't try but here they are for you (I thought my veg patch might end up as a cross between a war zone and a voodoo shrine if I did them all!)

We put out barbed wire in coils in the vegetation round the back fence where the foxes were getting in. It seems to have worked. We ordered the barbed wire online and it was delivered next day. It wasn't expensive.
09 August 2010 at 21:27 · Like

Ian Tester You need an automatic "scarecrow" that shoots water at them (£40-50), or an electric fence (a smidge more but reliable). Don't bother with ultrasonic things. Or smelly things - all the good (i.e highly toxic) ones have been taken off the market and a fox isn't going to flee in the face of citronella. ;-)
10 August 2010 at 08:53 · Like

Briony Marshall I looked at those water jet things as they seemed to get the best reviews on amazon - but will I need to run a hose down to the end of the garden for it?
10 August 2010 at 11:42 · Like

Sian Prime Sarah Bucknall recommends putting human hair in the garde.. apparently Foxes hate that...
10 August 2010 at 13:17 · Like

Karen Britton Soak some potatoes in parafin and hang them up around the veg patch just out of kiddies reach... the foxes hate the smell and will stay well clear!!
10 August 2010 at 14:20 · Like

Good luck
Helgibbs
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Helgibbs » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:16 pm

I am SO glad to find this thread. I have had trouble with foxes for quite a while now. I was beginning to take it very personally, and it was getting me down. To hear of all you others fighting the foxes and not giving up, is spurring me on!!!

We have also tried man-wee (does actually work, but man wont always want to go out and do it!!!!!!), bleach, lemon, 'Get Off' spray from B&Q, etc etc

Just donated all my spring bulbs to school as I couldnt face the foxes digging them all up and poo-ing everywhere. Which is exactly what they did to my big troughs at the end of the summer.

Well, I'm off to buy lion-poo pellets on the internet!
Thanks guys!
Helen
x
kellyn
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby kellyn » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi all,

I have just been reading your thread on getting rid of foxes and was wondering if any of you are still having problems.

The reason I ask is that I am working for a television company and we are making a series about urban foxes. As part of this we have been given a number of humane fox deterrents to test and we are looking for suitable locations to try them out in.

If any of you still have foxes that you would like to try and get rid of, then we would love to give you a fox deterrent to try for us.

If you are interested then either reply to this post or feel free to send a personal e-mail to kelly@windfallfilms.com

Best wishes,

Kelly
mollys
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mollys » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:37 pm

I spoke to Wandsworth council about this - they said they didn't do anything to deter or get rid of foxes, as none of the other London councils do and so if they did then all that would happen is that foxes fromn other boroughs would come into Wandsworth.
They also said that most of the methods for getting rid of them are illegal!
Not much help really, but something definitley needs to be done.
We have a fox in our garden who has a regular stand off with our dog, and I am scared of leaving my little boy outside unless I am with him.

supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:31 pm

A few years ago, i read in the FT magasine (First Person section) about a guy who was (still is?) a fox hunter in london. Cant remember his name but he said there are a few of them hunting foxes in london, the problem us everywhere particularly Regents Park and Primrose Hill...
Im sure if you google fox hunters london, you d find smthg. Good luck (they make such horrid noises...). I think it is illegal too.
katerobson
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby katerobson » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:29 am

Hi. They really are a nuisance aren't they? But be assured that they will quieten down as we move through the season. At the moment they are mating and establishing territory so they are at their noisiest. If you think they are living under the shed, the best thing to do is to wait until you're sure they aren't there and put something underneath to stop them getting in. Barbed wire is a good one, or bricks and stones that they can't move. But please, make sure there are no cubs there! No-one wants to starve cubs to death! Not sure when they are born, so maybe check online and if there is any chance there are cubs, wait until later in the year. Overall, the two things that foxes need (same as us!) is food and shelter so if you take away one or both, they will move on somewhere else. Good luck with it - it worked for me. K
Hattie
Share this post on:

Postby Hattie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Oh please yes! I have suffered these little blighters for 27 years in and around my property. After getting fed up with them digging up my lawn I eventually gave up and had it paved over. They keep us awake for hours in the night screeching and fighting. They raid the bins, leaving rubbish strewn down the road and last week, poo all over the parking areas and pavement and, the final straw, they stole one of a pair of very expensive cycling shoes that my husband popped outside our back door (in a walled garden!). Having looked on line, apparently they regularly steal shoes from people. I wonder how long it will be before these feral and increasingly brazen animals start entering houses to steal, especially over the summer months when we leave doors into the garden open. I was working with one new mum and her baby was lying on the playmat in the kitchen/kiddy room and a fox came in from the garden and was heading towards the baby; I chased it out We all know what may have happened next :( - and when it does, perhaps then the council will sit up and take notice - but at what cost!?
Hattie Weeks
Maternity Consultant
http://www.hattieweeks.co.uk
nvmof3
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby nvmof3 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Having tried most of the suggestions above (except lion dung) without success, we removed our decking (and found all manner of fox debris underneath, rebuilt our walls and put trellis with chicken wire attached all around on top of the walls. I haven't seen a fox in our garden since. Touch wood.

Nelllindsell
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nelllindsell » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:31 pm

One of the best ways to get rid of foxes is to get male members of your family to pee in the garden on a regular basis! It has worked wonders for us!
nell lindsell
KatherineHepburn
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby KatherineHepburn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:40 pm

Ditto on the bloke wee - gross thought but it does work ;)

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.