Are these fees for ending a tenancy outrageous?

4 posts
momtomum
Options:
Share this post on:

Are these fees for ending a tenancy outrageous?

Postby momtomum » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:04 pm

:shock:

My husband was made redundant about 6 months ago. He was offered a decent severance package, so we've been fine paying our rent for the last 6 months. He has been unable to find the right job in London, and in the meantime I've been offered an incredible job in Texas. We need to move.

Our lease was not up until 7 November. We brought this situation to our landlords attention and asked what we could do. They are willing to try to find another tenant, but are charging us approximately £1600 to get out of the lease, beyond paying rent until a new tenant moves in and in addition to any cleaning fees that come out of our deposit.

That feels outrageous, especially when they will have NO trouble finding a new tenant (we live in a lovely 5 bedroom house in Southfields that's great for families). Am I wrong?

Any suggestions? Our lettings agency is KFH in Earlsfield.
Mrs Contractor Mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Are these fees for ending a tenancy outrageous?

Postby Mrs Contractor Mum » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:16 pm

I thought after the initial 6 months contract, most tenancy agreements were a months notice from either party irresepective of the end date?
dancing_queen59
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dancing_queen59 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:18 pm

I'm a landlord and with regards to the 1 months notice at 6 months it needs to be written in the contract as a 6 month break Claus.

If a tenant wanted to leav early and I was able to replace them with no cost to me then I wouldn't be charging the tenants.

I suppose it depends if they are finding them themselves or through an agent who will charge a fee.
townieatheart
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby townieatheart » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:21 pm

Not sure of KFH t&c's but some letting agents take their fee from the landlord for the whole year up front and it's non refundable. Perhaps this is the case with your landlord, if so I can understand they shouldn't be made to lose out financially. Are you able to speak with them directly or is all communication with the agent? Also bear in mind that even with a 6 month break clause you would probably still be required to give 2 months notice.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.