Sash window security - after burglary

14 posts
stylishmom
Options:
Share this post on:

Sash window security - after burglary

Postby stylishmom » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi,

I know this is like chasing the horse after its bolted.... but can anyone recommend a good lock for a sash window? And indeed a good locksmith in the area?

We were burgled last week whilst we were asleep upstairs....! We had not put our downstairs alarm on and the thieves used an iron bar to wedge up our sash window in the sitting room at the front of the house.

Please be careful everyone...

x
Stellarosas
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Sash window security - after burglary

Postby Stellarosas » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:08 pm

I am sure you will get good advice from someone ...I just thought I would share this with you ....burgled avoid gravel paths!! Obviously because of the noise...
it may be a little extra deterant you could consider.
AyrtonWindows
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AyrtonWindows » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi
Ayrton windows here
Sorry to hear about the break in
Fixing sash restrictor bolts and lockable fitch catches would help a great deal. SDS in Northcote Road sell this ironmongery
By all means come to our showroom and see the bolts and catches on our windows
best regards
Robert
stylishmom
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby stylishmom » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I really appreciate it.

I will get on to getting the locks tonight and fitted asap.

Gravel is a great idea. We just have the usual victorian tiles and also a hedge out front which apparently is an invite to burglars as they can hide etc

x
Mummyhawkins100
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mummyhawkins100 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:14 pm

Same happened to us on Boxing Day evening whilst we were away...we had window locks and they crowbarred window open....got disturbed so only took one laptop thankfully. Can't believe you were upstairs his scary!!!! Hugs xx

stylishmom
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby stylishmom » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:33 pm

So sorry to hear same thing happened to you.

I can't let myself think about "what if they had come upstairs..." though sometimes its hard not too.

The police said that burglars now are targeting small technology items and jewellery so that they can offload easily. Our computers, ipads, wallets and my rings (incl engagement ring :cry: ) were taken. I normally always have my rings with me. Very unlucky.
Mummyhawkins100
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mummyhawkins100 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:45 pm

Bless you.....we were so lucky xxxx
AI_simon_SDS
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AI_simon_SDS » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:40 am

Sash window bolts would prevent this but only if the beading is secured properly.

When upgrading security its worth while also strengthening the beading by adding longer nails or screws. Both can be easily covered up using wood filler.

Wandsworth police are holding a meet your neighbours/burglary talk at the Eagle 8pm on Friday.
gardenerg
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby gardenerg » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:29 am

Sadly, we were also burgled using same method, 11th Jan on Elmfield Road. We have a central lock on the sash window and sash bolts. We usually leave the bolts in the higher position, which allows you to open the window a few inches for ventilation but obviously we don't leave the windows open at night. Something was forced up in between the windows to push the central lock out of its screws, which enabled the window to be lifted a few inches, then the beading on the inside was jemmied off via the small gap to enable the window to be pushed in. Had we left the bolts in the lower position, it seems unlikely they would have been able to force the beading off, which was properly installed (the windows were only put in 3 years ago). All the while, we were asleep upstairs as they did a total clear out of all our technology devices on the ground floor and my purse.

We don't have a burgular alarm and needless to say we have a man coming this week to quote for one. We also have a hedge at the front although we were advised it was more likely our house was targeted because of the lack of alarm. We have now moved all the sash bolts to the lower position, which will be a pain in the summer, but so be it. I'd advise anyone with an alarm that they can switch on at night to cover the ground floor to do so. So many people have said to me that they never bother.

AI_simon_SDS
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AI_simon_SDS » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:10 pm

We have now spoken to Wandsworth Community Safety Division and some contacts at Wandsworth police and given them the following advise.

The beading is usually held in with very small short pins which isn't really good enough so we advise people to remove the beading glue and re-pin the beading with a longer pin or better still use screws which can be filled over and re-painted.

Any handy man or keen DIY person can do this and we strongly advise doing this as well as highlighted in previous comments ensure your sash stops are in the correct position.
toadstool
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby toadstool » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:11 pm

Hi gardenerg

That could have been me making that post. Exactly the same thing happened to us at the weekend. The police said that there has been a spate of sash window robberies in the area. Just to echo what you said....make sure the window bolts don't allow the window to move up at all. This is how they are getting in.
Ladybug
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ladybug » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi Gardenerg

I'm really sorry to hear about your break in. We live on Tunley Rd and we too had an attempted break in on Saturday 11th January whilst we were asleep upstairs, the police have linked it to yours on Elmfield Rd as the forensics said they used the same tools and method for breaking in and the timing co-incides.

At 12.45am I woke up to hear a series of banging noises, not particularly loud but enough to wake me up. I looked out of bedroom window which overlooks street to see a silver racing bike blocking our garden path. My husband ran downstairs to find an arm reaching through the lower part of our living room sash window. He shouted and the burglar fled on his bike. We have Banham 'Sash Stop' locks which were locked but allow a 10cm gap at the base of the window, the sashs were additionally secured by central 'Brighton Fastener' locks.

The burglar/s were undeterred by the locks and inserted a sharp tool between the two sash windows knocking the central fastener clean out of the window frame by the screws, this allowed them to raise the sash by 10cm, had they not been disturbed, their next move would have been to knock out the internal window beading to enable the sash to flip open like a cat-flap allowing easy entry.

The police advice to us was to be extra vigilant, check your sash windows are securely fastened, internal sash window beading should be screwed in (some is just glued or tacked), keep ALL valuables next to your bed at night, including handbags, car keys, house keys, wallets, laptops, phones etc and ensure hedges are kept well trimmed.

I really hope these gangs are caught before they traumatise too many other people.
JandS
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JandS » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:04 am

Our window was jimmied open the same way by the burglars despite 2 key screw locks.
The scary thing is that the burglars set off our alarm but remained in our house for 3 minutes before fleeing probably because of a police siren. Apparently they allow up to 8 minutes even with bells ringing as it takes time for the police to respond.
We have now installed better locks.
Massive sympathy to all of you who have had the same experience.

LondonSashRepairsLtd
Share this post on:

Postby LondonSashRepairsLtd » Sun May 21, 2017 2:41 pm

I was browsing online and came past this post. You all have my absolute sympathy and I am kind of glad to see this inactive for a couple of years, however I do hope it's read and utilised.

Here is an article that is a wonderful resource:

https://londonsashwindows.com/why-my-sa ... eacefully/

Please follow the first five points which are very very inexpensive and any DIY enthusiast would have no problem handling, with maybe exception of the security restrictors, which can be fitted by any locksmith for around £20 a window. This will leave a burglar with absolutely no choice but to break glass, make noise, and get caught! My sister was unfortunately the victim of a break in and she had to move because she didn't feel safe anymore :(

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.