24 posts
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Burglars using front door stickers to identify easy targets

Postby Annabel (admin) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:03 pm

From Wandsworth Council...

The council’s crime prevention team is warning residents of a sophisticated new scam being used by burglars to target homes in the borough.
There are growing concerns that burglars are using accomplices to identify vulnerable properties in the borough and then marking them out with discreet plastic stickers.

The scouts are fixing the small, virtually transparent stickers to people's front doors. They are so discreet that residents may not even notice they are there - but for criminals who know what to look for - they act as a big green light that the property is an easy target.

The door sticker that police believe may be linked to an organised burglary ringPolice are already linking these stickers to at least one burglary in Wandsworth. The stickers are printed with the words "24 hour locksmith" and a telephone number. However the number does not exist and does not appear to have ever been issued by a telecoms company.

Detectives believe the scout is sent to an area to look for homes that may be easier to burgle. The belief is that he or she calls at addresses to see if people are at home during the day. This also gives them the chance to get up close to doors and windows and check out how good the locks are.
If the scout thinks the home would be easy to break into - he or she leaves a sticker on the door. If they are stopped by the police they can claim to be innocently distributing marketing material for the locksmiths firm.

The council's crime prevention spokesman Cllr Jonathan Cook said: "There is growing evidence that some organised teams of burglars may be using this method to target homes in south London.

"We are therefore urging local residents to keep a very close eye out for these stickers and if they find one to remove it straight away.
"It also goes without saying that if people can beef up their home security by fitting sturdy locks to doors and windows and alarms then this will always reduce the chances of them falling victim to thieves and burglars."
Insp David Bannister from Wandsworth police said: "At this time of year with the darker evenings there is traditionally a rise in burglaries, particularly between 3pm and 7pm.

"There have been a number of front doors found with stickers, giving details of a locksmith, which enquires reveal is not a genuine company. These are placed near the main lock. It is assessed that these markers are being used by potential burglars to mark potential targets which are then returned to subsequently. If you find a sticker on your door, the best thing to do is remove it."

For advice about home security and tips on how to combat burglars, call the council's community safety team on (020) 8871 6603 or email syoxall@wandsworth.gov.uk

STORY UPDATE MONDAY - Since the alarm was first raised at the end of last week, police have received lots of new intelligence about these stickers and are now following up a number of new leads to catch those who are responsible. There is no need to report any further sightings to police. If you find a sticker on your door, the latest advice is to simply remove it and dispose of it.
Attachments
Locksmith.jpg
Locksmith.jpg (17.97 KiB) Viewed 15036 times
nannyS
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Burglars using front door stickers to identify easy targ

Postby nannyS » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:26 pm

bump!
Cronut
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Cronut » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:26 pm

We live on Louisville Road and found one of these stickers on our door last week.

Have to say am now quite concerned.
Jen66
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jen66 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:52 pm

I just don't believe this. Sounds like urban myth to me. Makes no sense, why would any thief mark out a property thereby alerting other potential thieves?

Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:34 pm

the whole premise is they are working as a gang

seems reasonable to me
why have stickers with a number that doesn't exist?
TheMagenpies
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby TheMagenpies » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

This is now on the BBC News website as well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24994148
papinian
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby papinian » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:28 am

This transparent sticker is stuck over the keyhole on the door - I know, because we had one on our door. Anyone who wants to open the door from the outside would need to remove the sticker. If it's still there after four or five days and midweek then a prospective burglar can be pretty comfortable that there's nobody at the house. That's why they are being used.
latte_lady
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby latte_lady » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:43 am

We had one stuck on our door buzzer...have to say did get a horrible sinking feeling as I read annabel's post, but thank you for sharing with us as I didn't have a clue. Sticker now removed and I also phoned the number you provided and am installing some extra security features tomorrow. Helpful lady I spoke with said it's not just Wandsworth, but all over London!

ellesmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ellesmum » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:24 pm

No, it's not just Wandsworth. After I posted a link to the Daily Mail article on Facebook last night, but sister in law realised that they had one on their door and they're over in Forest Gate. Different phone number though. Sticker removed, police informed (just so that they can map it and inform local residents if necessary), and thankfully, no harm done. Although, the last person who entered their home without permission regretted their actions immediately after my brother greeted them with the huge heavy stick thing he uses for Kung Fu...! ;)
AliceJ
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AliceJ » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:24 am

We also had one stuck on our door buzzer.
MrsOctober
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MrsOctober » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:31 am

We live just off Northcote Rd and had one of these stickers put on our letterbox flap last year.
We are NOT an easy target. We have three large locks on our front door, one of them being a Banham. We have a very obvious alarm system. We have a security light, window locks, shutters (ie. can't see in) and with small children and an au pair there is always someone at home during the day. There is nothing of interest to burglars in our hall if they were to look through the letterbox.
Can someone please explain why we got a sticker?
I don't doubt that the person spending time at people's front doors putting on these stickers is up to no good, ie. using the time to get up close to doors, casing the joints, looking inside to see if anything's visible, listening for signs of occupation, checking out the locks etc. all the while ready with a perfect excuse for being there. But I think they are putting these stickers on EVERY door they check out, regardless of whether the house is easy or difficult to burgle. My case proves this point perfectly.
These stickers cannot make your house vulnerable. If your house is secure a sticker can't change anything.
Jen66
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jen66 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:00 pm

jg75
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby jg75 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Ok but that article doesn't explain why the number on the locksmith stickers in Wandsworth was fake. It is all a bit eery. I know many people who had the stickers on their doors, all with varying levels of home security so I agree, I am not sure how they are targeting people, maybe it is all a bit random, but there was definitely something going on.
Jen66
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jen66 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:34 pm

Much more likely that some ****wit at the printers got the number wrong.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.