Can you suggest a good removals company?

57 posts
NYE31
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Can you suggest a good removals company?

Postby NYE31 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:26 pm

Yes & then when they don't wrap or pack properly, and stuff gets broken, you have to a) pay their excess, b) chase up their insurance etc, c) get quotes to replace & d) you end up out of pocket as they don't replace as new.

This was was our experience when we used Bushells the 2nd time. Not v.impressed!
CitySlicker
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CitySlicker » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:42 pm

I found Burke and Wills quite expensive, I have a standard BTC terraced house and am moving a short distance to Wandsworth and they're charging £2400 (alln in) which I thought was punchy. But gentleman and a van were quoting around £2900 (all in). Nice business if you can get it for 2 days work!
JennyRowling
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JennyRowling » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:38 am

All I'm saying is, the main reason you should use a moving company for is the transportation, because that's the toughest part. If there's something you can do yourself, you better do it and you'll feel more at peace. ;)
sophiapoul
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sophiapoul » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:56 am

man and van removals can help you to move your house and office from one place to another without any damaging http://www.manwithvan-removal.co.uk
Ballymanu
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ballymanu » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:15 pm

We've just used Burke & Wills to pack and move, they were fabulous.

Not a single thing was broken, everything was labelled well, packed logically and to facilitate unpacking (eg wardrobe boxes with rails, contents of drawers wrapped in bubble wrap if need be but left in the drawers etc).

Beds were dismantled and put back together, washing machine un and replumbed etc. Every piece of furniture and every box was placed exactly where we wanted it. They even brought extra guys out when the keys release was delayed to ensure we were finished before our toddler's bedtime.

If you both work full time, have a toddler and no family nearby to help, I highly recommend them. Cost was far below £2k for us (for a 4 bed house).

Argon
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Argon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:50 am

I would suggest NOT using Clockwork Removals. We had a horrible experience from start to finish and they couldn't seem to care less about our complaints. Rude movers, careless packing, stuff broken, wrong sized truck, and a move they insisted would take less than 8 hours took 13. Never again...
h0tch0c0late85
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby h0tch0c0late85 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:48 pm

hey :)
quite a lot of options to choose from I guess so let me join with one.. 4 months ago me and mu husband had the same decision to make and so it happens that the cleaners in Wandsworth that I used offer a removal service as well http://www.cleaners-wandsworth.co.uk/
They were fast and polite and we didn't have any problems or complaints. I recommended them to a few friends and they were satisfied too :)
Good luck
Motherslittlehelper
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Motherslittlehelper » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:20 pm

We used clockwork removals and they scratched/broke lots of our items, so wouldn't recommend then
Bee@lifeafterlondon
Share this post on:

Postby Bee@lifeafterlondon » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi there, I'd definitely speak to Gentleman and a Van, they are really helpful and very professional. It's definitely worth meeting up too with someone, as you're entrusting your stuff with them it's important to get a face to face and like them.

FLH03
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby FLH03 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:20 am

We moved house at the back end of last year. I had quotes from Burke & Wills, Harradines and Cavendish & Country. All well run professional companies, insurance comparable, likewise with specified job managers, numbers to pack and move etc. You see their vans all around this area, they do big and small jobs, in London and to beyond.

Burke & Wills were the most expensive by a large margin. We went for the cheapest. What I did find is that most companies are prepared to negotiate and you can ask your preferred one to price match. It's a very competitive market for them, and not as many people are moving these days.

Some other points with the benefit of hindsight.

Box deposits - some companies want them some don't. Find out whether cheques are cashed and then refunded or just returned to you. Depends on how long you want to live with boxes unpacked as well.

Box collection - some companies will come and collect in stages, but most want to come and collect the broken down boxes in one go, every available space in our home was taken up with empty boxes and I was desperate to get rid of them. It did encourage me to unpack all of them though.

Packaging inside boxes - some removal companies will take this to recycle when they collect the empty boxes (but again boxes of this will fill up your home), others want you to dispose of it, that's a lot of orange sacks or many trips to the recycling centre in Smugglers Way.

Deposit - do not pay this until you 100% have completion date agreed, and this means you have actually exchanged contracts. Our purchaser messed us around severely and exchange and completion kept being pushed out. My company were great, kept pencilling in new dates, and were relaxed about deposits. I heard of horror stories where a deposit was paid before exchange, exchange was delayed or did not happen, and removal company kept the deposit, or could not then fulfil the new move date. It's a matter of good communication and read the small print.

Our removal guys worked SO hard - I kept them well supplied with hot and cold drinks and food, there was lots of goodwill between us and they were happy to go the extra bit to help. They were so helpful we also tipped the guys personally , it was money well spent as moving home is hard work exhausting and stressful.
FLH03
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby FLH03 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:33 am

Just remembered something else - I have never moved things into storage, but friends who have, said get an inventory, or take photos.

Obviously depends on length of time in storage and value of items, but I thought this was useful advice.
Motherslittlehelper
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Motherslittlehelper » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:19 pm

FLH03 - and get insurance as your stuff is being moved twice and could be sitting in any conditions.
stayathomemuminsw11
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby stayathomemuminsw11 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:53 pm

Always Gentleman and a Van for us.

poppydavidson
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby poppydavidson » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:11 am

Hello I recently moved to Balham and used Best Move
http://www.bestmove.co.uk/man-van/south-london/
Their movers were very polite and did all the packing. There was nothing broken when we got to our new home. Their prices are also good. Highly recommend.
thechurchwardgallery
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby thechurchwardgallery » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:56 am

Gary and his son have done all our moving and will do everything from packing to storage and from dismantling to removing doors and windows. Contact them on 07860576608 as they are local and will pop over and give you a competitive price. Just a tip...let them do the packing.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.