Paediatrician/baby

7 posts
Gtc
Options:
Share this post on:

Paediatrician/baby

Postby Gtc » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:54 pm

Hello
Can anyone recommend a general paediatrician (or in fact anyone) to help with my 16 month old daughter who has been increasingly highly irritable with severe mood swings. She has been under a gastroenterologist for reflux & tummy issues since birth but we want to see if there's anything else we're missing. Something is definitely bothering her. Her lack of sleep & drastic sudden tantrums are becoming unmanageable.
I'm grateful for any suggestions.
Thank you!
mamarobbie
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Paediatrician/baby

Postby mamarobbie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:57 pm

Hi, we saw Dr Fysh at the Portland for our baby who was consistently diagnosed with reflux by the GPs but finally diagnosed by Dr Fysh with dairy intolerance. He came highly recommended to us and I found him to be great with our baby and also led us to a dietician; Jacky Bernett who finally cracked the challenge of finding a formula our baby would drink. Not sure of his credentials re behavourial issues but he might be worth a try or he may be able to recommend where to go next
Good luck!
Pod
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pod » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:44 am

I totally sympathise with you, our daughter suffered awful
Reflux and tummy problems and whilst the medication Ranitidine helped she was still horrendously windy and grouchy and not sleeping.
We got a lactose free formula on prescription and everything changed almost over night. However at 18mths symptoms returned quite severely.
After a GP referral to Evelina Children's Hospital to see Dr Macaulay who's amazing and so sympathetic. Our daughter had a barium swallow ( not invasive just drinking milk or juice with barium in lying down watching video and they get X-rayed) it revealed her abnormally small stomach which emptied very slowly - explaining her lack of appetite and preference for grazing on small amounts or reflux would occur. Further tests revealed cows milk protein allergy - not just lactose intolerance.
Sorry long winded reply but I'd get a referral to Evelina - they are fantastic and offer amazing support.
On reading and researching I discovered that reflux and dairy issues often go hand in hand which consultant also confirmed. My daughter is now two and eats pretty well and sleeps like never before! If you'd like to chat more feel free to text me 07786806993 x
Gtc
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Gtc » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Thank you for your replies-I will look into both! However, she is already on neocate & was off dairy, wheat, soya & eggs with still lots of distress. She is fine with egg now & is having wheat (not sure if ok) but maybe is regressing because of a reflux return as she is no longer on reflux meds.
Thanks again for your advice : )))
TXmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby TXmum » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:25 am

You might also investigate other food allergies. Corn and artificial food dyes are both notorious for sparking extreme behavioural reactions in children who are allergic. I was diagnosed with a corn allergy as an adult, and was really surprised to learn this in my research.

My son also suffered terribly with severe silent reflux and dairy allergy. It is so awful when they are small, and the effects last well into toddlerhood. But I can say that it does get better. I hope you're able to get on top of it all soon!

Gtc
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Gtc » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:24 am

Wow corn...that's one I haven't looked into-thank you! Esp as she has it all day long...!
zaza107
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby zaza107 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Professor Gideon Lack at the Portland might be a good one to try (he works on the NHS too, but it is probably a long wait). He is my daughter's allergist and I imagine he looks at the entire range of reflux/intolerance reactions too. He's very practical, as well.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.