Why nannies need first aid skills - shocking statistics

3 posts
Emma
Options:
Share this post on:

Why nannies need first aid skills - shocking statistics

Postby Emma » Sat May 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Would your Nanny know how to cope with a medical Emergency? They may have been on a First Aid course, but were they tested rigorously to ensure that they would confidently provide appropriate first aid if something happened to your child?

Time and again, people look for cheap First Aid courses, which typically involve large groups of trainees being talked at by an inexperienced trainer and then awarded their certificates with minimal assessment – this will not equip them with the vital skills and knowledge they need to confidently help your child in an emergency.

Every day children die needlessly in the UK - when basic first aid could have saved their lives.

The national "Save a Life Survey" involving over 2000 people, showed that a third of all parents have had to rush their child to hospital at some point.
The survey, carried out by Mother and Baby Magazine in association with supermarket chain Tesco, found that 82% of mothers and fathers would not have a clue what to do if their child fell over, started choking or was burned. It is crucial to ensure that your Nanny is competent and confident to help your child in an emergency.

In excess of half a million toddlers are rushed to accident and emergency each year following accidents in the house - with an average of 76 under 4s dying as a result. Furthermore, a further quarter of a million toddlers are injured or killed in garden-related incidents.

The following RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) statistics make alarming reading:
• 500,000 children need to go to casualty annually after accidents in the home

• 125,000 children are killed or injured in garden accidents.

• 20,000 children end up in casualty departments with burns

• 5,804 children are injured in road accidents.

• 3,227 children are injured as car passengers

• 100 children die from severe burns every year

• 70 children are killed on the roads every WEEK!

Accidental injury is one of the biggest single causes of death in the UK for children over the age of one. More children die each year as a result of accidents than from illnesses such as leukaemia or meningitis.
Every year one million children under the age of 18 are taken to accident and emergency units after being involved in accidents in the home. Many more are treated at home or by their GP. Many of the accidents that happen in and around the home can be avoided. By identifying and understanding potential accident risks in the home, you can take some basic safety steps that will keep your children safe and give you peace of mind.
Most young children have some injuries and accidents. Most will be minor, but it is crucial to know what to do if the accident or injury is more serious.
Children need to be able to explore and enjoy their environment, they shouldn’t be wrapped in cotton-wool. However basic sensible precautions to keep them safe, along with the knowledge as to what to do if an accident should happen, will make a difference. First Aid is not one of those areas that can be learnt from a book, there is no substitute for attending a practical course and having a go at resuscitating a manikin or removing an obstruction from a choking baby.
If you are trusting the safety and wellbeing of your child with someone else, please make sure that they have had thorough training and have the skills and knowledge to confidently help in an emergency. First Aid for Life training is different from other providers: our trainers are highly experienced medical professionals, courses are held in small groups and we only award our certificates once we have ensured that each individual has fully understood everything and would be competent and confident in an emergency situation.
We care every bit as much as you do about the well-being of your little one.

It is strongly advised that you attend a Practical First Aid course to understand what to do in a medical emergency. Please visit http://www.firstaidforlife.org.uk emma@firstaidforlife.org.uk or tel: 0208 675 4036 for more information about our courses. First Aid for life provides this information for guidance and it is not in any way a substitute for medical advice. First Aid for Life is not responsible or liable for any diagnosis made, or actions taken based on this information.

This Wednesday 21st May is the last day to take advantage of our 20% discount to celebrate being finalists for the best small business in London - we have limited places for our full day Ofsted Paediatric First Aid course in Balham from 9:30 to 3:30. Book now online and use the discount code CELEBRATION to get your discount

First Aid for Life is an award winning First Aid training business that is HSE and Ofqual Approved through Qualsafe Awards. Our trainers are medical and emergency services professionals and our training is tailored to your needs.

First Aid for Life
74 Ramsden Road, Balham
London SW12 8QZ
emma@firstaidforlife.org.uk
http://www.firstaidforlife.org.uk
Tel:0208 675 4036
cynic
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Why nannies need first aid skills - shocking statistics

Postby cynic » Mon May 19, 2014 12:12 pm

I think first aid skills are very important, but I must take issue with some of the tone of your post.

Your post is about nannies but the Tesco survey you mention only refers to mothers and fathers. Do you have any data on nannies?
Our registered childminder has to have regular first aid training, I assume registered nannies would have some too or maybe they don't. Is that your point, in which case why not make that point, backed up with some relevant evidence?
You appear to be implying that often some (other providers) first aid courses are too superficial and that yours are much better.
I imagine this may be very true in some cases, but not all. I simply don't know.
Perhaps you could provide some questions/information that might enable readers to ask about the quality of the first aid training that their childcare providers have received, to see if further training may be needed, rather than just imply that all other training is substandard
Emma
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Why nannies need first aid skills - shocking statistics

Postby Emma » Mon May 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Thank you very much for your comment and I am really sorry if my tone came across poorly.

I am passionate about the importance of good quality First Aid training and we work tirelessly to ensure that we provide outstanding quality, both in terms of the skills taught and the customer service offered. I was trying to get across that this is not always the case and many parents are unaware that not all First Aid training has these standards; sadly, although there are other great First Aid training businesses with similar ethos to ourselves there are numerous unregulated First Aid training providers who offer courses and certification with a negligible amount of assessment. Childminders and Nannies registering with Ofsted all need to have a current First Aid certification and should also have regular refreshers to remain confident using their skills.
You made some great points about how parents can test their childcarers first aid knowledge - the easiest would be to ask them. Ask what they would do if a child was knocked down by a car. Test their reaction and how confident they would be coping with the situation. If they are unsure, they may need to refresh their skills. I would like them to tell you that they would ensure the area was safe - so they wouldn't be hit by a car themselves, that they would swiftly and calmly tell the child to keep still whilst they went over to them. I would then like them to check for a response - if they are fully conscious they should encourage them to keep still - keep them warm, dry and calm and phone for an ambulance - if they were unconscious and breathing they should be carefully log rolled into the recovery position and if they were not breathing - commence CPR.
The child carer should be tested on other common first aid emergencies to which the parent already knows the answer. I have an online first aid course which can also be used to refresh knowledge and test through various scenarios - although this does not replace a formal practical First Aid qualification for those caring for children.

You are right that some of the statistics quoted are about parents, but the main table relates to children having accidents whoever is looking after them and the point I was trying to make - rather than scaremongering - was to ensure that parents and nannies are confident that their first aid skills are up to speed if they need to use them.

First Aid for Life trainers are medical and emergency services professionals, we always go the extra mile to help - both before, during and providing support and advice after the courses too. We do not award certificates until we are confident that the person has fully understood all aspects and we feel they are competent in the skills they have learnt. We care passionately about what we do and take the responsibility very seriously.
Please have a look at some of the feedback on our site and if you would like any further information on any aspects I would be more than happy to help.

Once again I do apologise for any offence I may have caused, it was most definitely not the intention of the article.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.