Breastfeeding advice plz?

7 posts
rebs30000
Options:
Share this post on:

Breastfeeding advice plz?

Postby rebs30000 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi all. I had my baby three days ago n have been breastfeeding. My nipples are so sore and at night time I'm close to tears as my baby wants to feed all the time and making me more sore. I was thinking of expressing a few bottles for the night to give my nipples a break and hopefully heal. I just tried to express but could only manage 1 ounce. Which obviously won't be enough to feed my baby all night. Has anyone got any advice for me please? I'm feeling quite down and don't want to have to switch to formula. Especially not just yet anyway. Please help.
AnnieH
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Breastfeeding advice plz?

Postby AnnieH » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi there
Congratulations on the birth of your little one. I just wanted to say I know how you feel as I could have written this a few weeks ago when I was about day three after my daughters birth.

I found expressing during the day for two days gave my nipples a bit of a rest and enabled me to carry on breast feeding.

I would also recommend either seeing a lactation consultant, I can pm you details of someone who was recommended to me but I didn't end up seeing. Or head to a breast feeding clinic / drop in. I think there's one at club crèche tomorrow in Southfields.

Anyway I would say hang on in there and it will most likely get easier but ultimately you should do what is best for you and your baby in the long run.
monikarea
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby monikarea » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi, poor you!
I was going through similar experience. Get nipple shields and carry on breastfeeding. Medela does good ones. Also Lansinoh nipple cream will soothe and help with cracking/bleeding. This will allow your nipples to heal. 1oz is normal as your milk will take time to fully come in. Best to carry on feeding and express in between feeds ( I know it's hard work) to establish good supply. Good luck :-)
Gingercat2
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Gingercat2 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi!
I know how you feel..I was very sore and felt the constant feeding would never end!
I saw an amazing breast feeding councillor when my baby had his heel prick test. She checked his latch and showed me some different positions. :)
If I hadnt had her support I might have given up..but I'm proud that I continued to bf well beyond his first year. Please don't be disheartened, as the baby gets used to feeding and a pattern is established, it will become less sore and easier I promise!
pie81
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pie81 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi, congratulations! I too would advise seeing a breastfeeding counsellor or lactation consultant. Lots of things could be causing sore nipples ranging from tongue tie to slightly misaligned position to thrush to just it being the first few days of feeding...

If you can spare a bit of money I would really recommend getting a lactation consultant to come and see you at home. I saw Geraldine Miskin and thought she was excellent. She can check for tongue tie (which it turned out my daughter had) and she also gave me advice about positioning, nipple shields, expressing as well as really good winding techniques.

Otherwise, the local breastfeeding cafés often have breastfeeding counsellors drop in. La Leche League also has volunteers who can advise over the phone though obviously in person is better.

Good luck - if you can get help early on it will make such a difference.

nuttymummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby nuttymummy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:24 pm

All great suggestions above but if that fails I tried these with my 3rd baby and they genuinely made a huge difference (though I must admit I still find the concept weird). The lady who runs it is local and actually posted mine through the letterbox the afternoon I placed the order (a Sunday) so if you fail to find another solution & have the money to throw at it they are worth a go! Good luck!
nuttymummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby nuttymummy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:24 pm

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.