7+ and 8+

5 posts
Osinirvas
Options:
Share this post on:

7+ and 8+

Postby Osinirvas » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:05 am

Dear fellow mum's,
hope that you are all well and enjoying summer.
I live in SW and have two boys. We are at the moment faced with a very difficult question of 7+&8+
Any advice on preparation? We are constantly being told that we have to tutor?! Is this the case these days?
We have friends who live near Rokeby school in Kingston (they have no children of their own, but speak highly of it from the outside)we not had a chance to see it yet, but would love to hear from parents past/present experience at Rokeby.
many thanks

Osin
daisydaisy
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: 7+ and 8+

Postby daisydaisy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:17 am

Do be careful about tutoring; if the only reason that your child gets into a school is because they have been tutored, they may spend their formative years struggling and bumping along at the bottom of the class.
The best advice I can give is to ensure that for the 7+, they know their number bonds to 10 and 20 (extend to multiples of 10 to make 100) and at least but preferably more than 2x, 5x, 10x tables. Practice writing stories with descriptions- punctuation should include . , " " ? ! and read, read, read to them and with them.
Osinirvas
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Osinirvas » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:59 am

Thank you very much Daisy.
I realise that tutoring Has its place, but not at this age& like the boys to get in on their own merit .
So thank you&we will do loads of practice:) with timetables& reading ( our weakness) . My oldest hates reading, which is so hard! To instill love of reading is All I wish:)
Osin
daisydaisy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby daisydaisy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:38 am

For reluctant readers, have a look at a (free) website called Reading Rewards- you can set your own targets and rewards (ie an ice cream / a trip to the park for a completed book / 10 hours reading...) and it really does make reading more popular- with a goal at the end.
Bubs
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bubs » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:50 am

Great advice from daisydaisy - I'd have said exactly that, those are absolutely the things a school would be looking for in my opinion (I have an 8 yr old, just changed schools).

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.