NHS hospitals allow elective c-sections?

23 posts
MJEL
Options:
Share this post on:

NHS hospitals allow elective c-sections?

Postby MJEL » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:10 am

I want an elective C-section, but Chelsea hospital says I'd have to go private. Which London hospitals allow for elective C-section covered by NHS?
Bananasplit
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: NHS hospitals allow elective c-sections?

Postby Bananasplit » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:12 am

Hi Mjel. As far as I know, ALL hospitals can and should provide elective C section. However due to cost they will go out of their way to discourage you. It needs to be signed off by consultant ( if you have one) or MW. You just need to be very firm in your request and they will have to do it. But you will have a massive resistance so you have to be firm. My sister had 2 elective c section after she had natural birth with her first baby which was just awful. With her 3rd baby, they went out of their way to discourage her (literally an hour of telling her why she should do it) but she stood firm and by the end they signed it off. She said that both her c sections were super easy and she had a very quick recovery after both, she was walking the following day. Good luck.
seabel
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby seabel » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:56 am

I don't think an NHS hospital can deny you an elective C section if that is what you want but they will definitely make you go through the hoops as to why you want you and it will probably need to be signed off by a senior doctor. Having a C-section isn't always the best way, I have had two, both having been taken out of my hands (breech birth followed by a failed induction), both equally unpleasant and the recovery process was horrendous for both! I didn't fully recover for about 3 months after each one and my wound got infected after the second time. Again some people walk after a day and say that they feel fine others take longer, it all depends on the person so it really is a 50/50. Having a c-section isn't always the easiest route! However you decide to proceed, good luck!
firsttimerSW11
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby firsttimerSW11 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:08 am

I had an ELCS with no medical reason for it. It's discouraged and you will have to jump through huge hoops but if you stand firm, you'll get one. Send me a pm for more information.
sandraletitia
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sandraletitia » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:16 am

Hi
I'm a local Maternity Services user rep sitting on the Laboopur Ward Forum at St. George's and was until recently a member of the South West London Maternity Network. They have a page detailing information on maternal request Caesarean http://www.swlmaternitynetwork.nhs.uk/n ... o-leaflet/
St. George's, Kingston, Epsom St. Helier, and Croydon have drawn up a leaflet in common.

There are definitely risks to mother and baby that there would not be if a Caesarean were not done. If there is an issue with either mother or baby these outweigh the risks/reourcsussions of major surgery, which is what it is.

As an NCT teacher I have taught a couple of women who have been well supported in their decision to opt for caesarean birth but many more who have had a change of mind, and been very happy with it, after considered discussions with maternity staff. It's not a question of cost, as is often thought, but concern for safety.

Hope that helps.
Sandra Bush
Natal Hypnotherapy Practitioner
NCT Antenatal Teacher

Deb
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Deb » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:06 pm

I had two elective caesarians on the NHS due to extreme fear of childbirth thanks to my mother's very traumatic experiences (the after effects of which lasted through my childhood with many follow up operations, permanent sanitary towels and being forced to give up all sports activity) I felt extreme guilt about requesting an elective caesarean and yes, the pressure from everyone who has to sign it off is huge. I had thought we would have to go private but early on during my pregnancy I was admitted to hospital with dehydration and timidly asked a nursing sister about requesting an elective. She told me that of course I would be able to have one, that the NHS is obliged to give each woman the birth experience that she feels is right for her. Fortunately for me my husband was massively supportive and came along to all meetings and had my back. I had to see three consultants, and the third, final and most senior, said 'I think that a caesarean is a perfectly reasonable way to deliver a baby' much to my relief. I had fantastic experiences both deliveries, great memories from each day, and I recovered quickly and well. An elective is a very different experience to an emergency.

Good luck with everything
nsm321
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby nsm321 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:12 pm

CS is not an easy option and there are risks that they will want you to be aware of before making a final decision.
But overall once you have seen 5 to 10 different consultants, MW and even anaesthetists! they will support you if CS is seen as the only option you will accept.
We are booked in for April CS delivery, so will let u know how it goes...

NHS is very good and does provide a high level of care all the way thru a pregnancy, with scans, regular checkups and birth choices to make sure your baby has best chance of a healthy start in life
Scottov
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Scottov » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:11 am

it is a sensitive subject, and as such a certain delicacy is needed in addressing it.

the issue is that a CS is major surgery, not minor, MAJOR. it is a serious business, and is not something to be taken lightly. I say this not in terms of choice, freedom etc. just that there are very real safety issues from what is often seen to be (wrongly) a minor procedure.

it is not an easy option and any perception that it is being taken by the too posh to push brigade is going to be met with resistance.

the way forward if there are genuine reasons is to explain that you understand the full implications and reasoning of what you are asking for.
Bunnypigeon1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bunnypigeon1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:40 am

C&W hospital will not carry out electicd c sections, they are very clear about it and even give every woman a letter at the start of their prenatal care explaining this. We wanted a c section with our third after two very difficult births and faced a lot of reseistance. In the end we did it privately, but C&W did offer to refer us to other hospitals where an elective might be allowed.

AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:31 am

5 years ago I had an elective at St Thomas'. I was lucky and had a consultant who saw no issue with it what so ever.

No regrets at all. All very controlled; a lovely experience. Recovered significantly quicker than with my first, natural delivery. I was up and about the next day almost like I hadn't had a baby the day before!

I honestly think that if men were the ones to have babies, all deliveries would be elective c-sections and natural births would be considered barbaric! ;)
DietCokefan
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby DietCokefan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:34 am

I very much agree with posters who have stated it's about safety as well as cost. It is major surgery. My first child was an emergency caesarean, my second a gas and air vaginal delivery. After the fact I can tell you they were completely different, but both had their challenges. I didn't have any problems with the c-section but recovery was definitely slower. I'm assuming this is your first - if not, c-section will limit your ability to lift/carry toddlers, this was why I was keen to try to have a vaginal birth the second time.
I don't think anyone is entitled to an elective c-section. Patients are entitled to safe care. For most people the safest option will not be a c-section.
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:47 am

Everyone is entitled to an elective c section on the nhs.....

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/caesarean- ... ction.aspx
Tjp1977
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Tjp1977 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:16 pm

I'm having an elective c-section at C&W tomorrow for no medical reason but I was very nervous about giving birth naturally. The hospital have been amazing and haven't stood in my way at all. I have had to have some extra appointments with senior midwifes etc but everyone has been supportive and I haven't had to listen to negative people try and discourage me. I was also told that no hospital can not allow you a c-section - you should be allowed whatever birth you like and the hospital have to be supportive. But I was also told to be persistent and not give up. I didn't actually need to be - but maybe try again..... good luck. I think everyone should be allowed to birth they want without judgement

mn3ab
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mn3ab » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:18 pm

I am 35 weeks and have just been diagnosed with Obstetrics Cholestatis (OC) which means I need to deliver the baby at 37 weeks to avoid risks of still birth or the baby becoming distressed.

I am having the baby at C&W and they have said I will need to be induced but the baby will need to be fully monitored throughout. I am a bit worried about being induced especially as the baby won't want to come out so early so it is likely to be long and painful and may require forceps. Therefore, I am considering an elective c-section so the baby is out quicker and there are less chances of her becoming distressed.

Has anyone had to choose between an induction or c-section at 37 weeks, in particular at C&W and with OC? I am due to speak to a consultant about my options in a couple of days but thought I'd check if you had any experience before my meeting.

Thanks
Mumbly
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mumbly » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:56 am

AbbevilleMummy wrote:Everyone is entitled to an elective c section on the nhs.....

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/caesarean- ... ction.aspx
Yes this is true but NICE guidelines are just that - guidelines. Hospitals are able to opt out if they choose. The main reason c and w is saying no to cs for women without medical reason or extreme fear is because they have one of the highest rates in the country. They need to try and bring them down and this is one way to do it.
But of course you can go to another NHS hospital.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.