Thomas's School - too late?

9 posts
happylizzie
Options:
Share this post on:

Thomas's School - too late?

Postby happylizzie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:24 pm

My DS is 5 months old and I thought I would register him for Thomas's school in Clapham, so off I sent the registration form and cheque for 100 pounds. I then checked the website and realised that the main list for babies born up to April 2017 is now closed!!!! :shock:

Is it too late now?? I emailed the registrar to find out where he would be on the waiting list, but just got an out of office for the summer holidays. ARGHHH

Please tell me that it's still possible??? How can it be that the main list is closed already??

What other schools should we be registering at?
daisydaisy
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Thomas's School - too late?

Postby daisydaisy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:32 pm

Not too late- you should be fine, even if on waiting list. Remember that most parents register with with several schools but only take one place so waiting lists move.
Bunnypigeon1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bunnypigeon1 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:12 pm

You should register with a couple of others just in case you either don't get called for an assessment or you don't get a place following it. Eaton house, broomwood, Hornsby house- those are the main ones. Newton prep if you're not to far from it.
NYE31
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NYE31 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:09 am

Try the Roche & Wandsworth Prep, as another poster said, lots of parents register with multiple schools & many move out freeing up places. It's worth calling the schools at the beg of the Autumn term as well. Good luck.
M&mmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby M&mmum » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:02 pm

You should be fine, just call them in September to check.
And even if you get put on waiting list, keep calling and asking.
I would also register at Hornsby House and Broomwood Hall in the area.
Eaton House always has space if you register early enough.
Good luck and don't worry!

lolaloves
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lolaloves » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:04 pm

The admissions page does indeed say that the list is full. I think you should still have a good chance of getting an assessment though if you sign up as there is so much movement in this area and people change their minds about the assessment even at the last minute!
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:23 am

List closed for babies born up to April 2017? Wow, that's crazy. I imagine it must be the Prince George effect. It's definitely worth calling the school in September to see where you stand, but they only have 80 places and half or more of those will be filled by siblings. If you have your heart set on it you could always send your child to a state (or other private) school for a year or two then swap him over in say Year 1 or 2 when they may have some places. But as others have said there are plenty of other great schools in the area and most people register for several.
MGMidget
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MGMidget » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:06 pm

As suggested by others you are best off registering with several schools and you should get in somewhere but it will be down to luck to some extent which school (s) offer you a place and when. You are likely to be too late to be guaranteed a place at Hornsby too but not too late to have some chance of getting a place from the waiting list.
Southsider
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Southsider » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:14 pm

It's really frustrating isn't it!

The same happened to me a few years ago and I found that when it came to Thomas's, the waiting list didn't really move at all. The registrar explained that they offer assessments to those on the waiting list only if a child of the same gender/birth month doesn't take their appointment up. That was for entry this year so it may change but she also mentioned that in the previous 2 years there hadn't been any movement at all.

We ended up choosing another local school that we love so my advice would be to get on the waiting list for Thomas's but pursue other options as if you won't get an assessment there. In my experience most other independent schools in the area are more flexible / have more movement or offer assessments to all kids that register. And like the OPs have said, there are so many great state and independent schools close by so you won't be left in the lurch (especially looking this early).

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.