Primary school offer day... Get the school you wanted?

48 posts
sld
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Primary school offer day... Get the school you wanted?

Postby sld » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:33 pm

We got Macaulay! 1st choice. Very pleased :-) Anyone else got Macaulay?
isabella12
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby isabella12 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:47 pm

I bet all those family's not in the battersea area that got there child in Christ church Chelsea are dancing on the work tops with joy. They will all stop going to church now no need to go now they have all got what they wanted
Pud1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pud1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Do I detect a wee chip on the shoulder there Isabella12? It's good to hear that most posters so far are happy with their schools.
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Great news about the BTC offer distances. It won't be due to the new sibling policy as only siblings of the new 2017 intake will be restricted.

I think it's probably due to another extra BV class and a stagnant property market but good news all the same.
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Actually, the new sibling policy for BV doesn't make sense at all now. The sibling of that child which has just been offered a place some 900+meters away will not have sibling priority and could theoretically end up at any school in the borough, making drop off and pick up impossible. Such a silly idea to pull an arbitrary distance out of thin air to use as a policy.

pie81
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pie81 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:23 pm

Abbevillemummy - the rule doesn't apply if the family hasn't moved since the prior sibling was admitted. So if you live 900m from Belleville and get a place this year, your next children will get in as long as you don't move house.
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:27 pm

Oh I get it, that makes much more sense! Thanks for clarifying!
papinian
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby papinian » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:29 pm

A word of warning to those looking at Belleville and/or Honeywell for their first child in a couple of years time: the greater distances this year may work against you.

A year with a high share of places going to non-siblings tends to be followed by subsequent years (in particular the second subsequent year) by a high share of places going to siblings. I've seen this happen with one-off bulge classes in various schools. If you're trying for a place as a non-sibling in that subsequent year, it works against your chances.
oab
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby oab » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:50 am

We got Honeywell, so surprised (pleasantly ;) as we were not in the <300m catchment area!
Can the increase in catchment area be due to brexit -i.e. People planning to move to Europe? Or due to the proposed cuts in school funding, making more people go private? Or due to the council cracking down on short term renting near the school?

bexsouth
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby bexsouth » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:40 am

We got Macaulay which is wonderful. Also very interested by the expanded catchments as he is also 9th on the waiting list for Belleville which is a very pleasant surprise. In people's experience how far down the waiting list have they tended to go in previous years? Just to help my thinking. Thanks Bex
claphamite
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby claphamite » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:01 am

bexsouth wrote:We got Macaulay which is wonderful. Also very interested by the expanded catchments as he is also 9th on the waiting list for Belleville which is a very pleasant surprise. In people's experience how far down the waiting list have they tended to go in previous years? Just to help my thinking. Thanks Bex
That's great - are you close to the school? It's always had such a small catchment for non-church or sibling entry. It's a great school.
Balham1981
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balham1981 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:54 pm

BalhamDaddy wrote:Heena - where do you live and what distance are you from Henry Cavendish?

We had that as our first choice but didn't get it... despite being located on the same road! (Hydethorpe Road).

We're also on the waiting list for Telferscot despite being only 340m away. Really stressing about it as we thought Telferscot in particular was a shoe in.

Fingers crossed for the waiting list. (P.S. Henry Cav is a great school so congrats)
Hi there Balham daddy.

Firstly am sorry that you did not get in to the schools of your choice.

We live 200m straight line distance away and are on Laitwood Road.

My advice would be to definitely appeal the decision, though worth checking the rules around this.

Waiting lists do move pretty quickly.

Fingers crossed for you. Pls keep me posted.
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Annabel (admin) » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:17 am

Hi
Updated Wandsworth Catchment Area Maps are here:

http://www.nappyvalleynet.com/property/

We'll add Lambeth when we have that data...

The maps are a little clunky but the data is there and our new redesign will make the whole process a lot smoother...

Thanks for using NVN

shina
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby shina » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:03 am

We got Christ Church Chelsea. I would really love to hear any first hand experience with this school. Our other alternative is Thomas's Battersea where we secured a place.
bexsouth
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby bexsouth » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:54 pm

claphamite wrote:
bexsouth wrote:We got Macaulay which is wonderful. Also very interested by the expanded catchments as he is also 9th on the waiting list for Belleville which is a very pleasant surprise. In people's experience how far down the waiting list have they tended to go in previous years? Just to help my thinking. Thanks Bex
That's great - are you close to the school? It's always had such a small catchment for non-church or sibling entry. It's a great school.
No we're not close - we applied for a church place though. Although I know someone locally who got offered a non church place so like other schools perhaps it was a much wider catchment this year?

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.