Streatham & Clapham Prep School

6 posts
Newonthis
Options:
Share this post on:

Streatham & Clapham Prep School

Postby Newonthis » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:51 pm

I'm looking into moving my daughter from a local state primary to a private prep. We've looked into SCPS and still have doubts. Although it's appealing the fact, that it's almost guarantied a place at the SC Senior School, we'd like to have our options open for other (more academic) senior schools. Do girls at SCPS move to other schools for Year 7? Where do they go? In that case, do they need tutoring?
Thanks!
Wheresmyschool?
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Streatham & Clapham Prep School

Postby Wheresmyschool? » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi,
You didn't mention how old your daughter is and that's important.

The school landscape is changing so quickly and schools which used to be "bankers" (Emanuel, SCHS) are now highly sought after. Anecdotally I know of at least two children who turned down places at these schools at 11 to then fail to get in at 13 when they had a change of heart.

There is a pretty good chance that in four or five years time the situation will be totally different again, although I suspect that will be in terms of increased pressure on places, not less.

Unless your child is super-academic (and by this I mean top in her class by a mile) I think the security of having a place in a secondary school is no bad place to be. I really think we're going to have a very very tough decade coming up for the independent secondary sector for a lot of children - there are not enough places and not everyone can be top of their class.
Confus_ed
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Confus_ed » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:53 am

My daughter joined SCP last September from another local prep school and we could not be happier with the school. Our daughter is absolutely thriving there, she's made great friends, does a wide range of extra-curricular activities and has made huge advances academically under the guidance of some wonderful teachers.

The girls do have to sit the senior school entrance exam in year 6 so they are prepped for that. When we were choosing the school, we asked them about prepping for other schools too and they said they'd help prepare her for anything extra that was needed e.g. verbal reasoning which SCHS doesn't require.

It still some years away for us but, in reality, I can't imagine we'll apply anywhere else now that we now the school anyway as we are so happy with it.

As for tutoring, my daughter's old school was a pure prep school geared towards 11 and 13+ exams but most of the kids had tutors too so I don't think you can avoid that anywhere these days. I think it is mainly a response to the increased competition and pressure for places that the previous poster describes.
Newonthis
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Newonthis » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks for your replies.

My daughter is currently in Year 3 and she is top of the class, but we feel that she's not stretched by any means. We are aware that state schools might not have the same level as private schools, and this is why we are looking into moving her for the next school year. We don't know if she will be top of the class in a new school but we believe that she will be able to catch up and adapt without major issues.

Confus_ed - I'm glad to know your daughter is enjoying and thriving at SCPS - that's really encouraging.

We are really undecided between the option of the (almost) guarantied place at the SC Senior School or going for a Prep school with brilliant results where children get into great senior schools and according to parents not many have used tutors (hard to prove this point, I know).
Confus_ed
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Confus_ed » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:25 am

Which other prep schools are you looking at as on the whole our local ones have quite a 'mixed bag' of results when it comes to next schools?

Newonthis
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Newonthis » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:41 pm

We are looking further afield as the local prep schools seem to be at full capacity.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.