Pick-up at Newton prep

9 posts
hellokittyerw
Options:
Share this post on:

Pick-up at Newton prep

Postby hellokittyerw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:22 am

Hello

Our DS will be starting in reception at NP from September.
I'm trying to figure out what we should do for pick-up.
We both work so cannot pick up ourselves and have a nanny who will be looking after our younger child.
We live BTC, so not that close, and I think our nanny (+ young sibling) picking up every day will be really difficult on our younger child (it would mean more than 1 hr round trip).

What do other people do, any advice?

Could we easily find someone who would pick-up our DS from NP (ideally by car) and drop him off at home?

I have thought about sharing with other NP parents but we won't get to know anyone before we start at NP, and we are keen to have some solution in place before we start school.

thank you!
pie81
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Pick-up at Newton prep

Postby pie81 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:01 pm

I read recently about OneLane - a taxi service that uses vetted childcarers as drivers. I've never tried it myself but thought it could work in this scenario. Hopefully you would be able to set up a carpool fairly soon after starting so it would just be a temporary thing.
hellokittyerw
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby hellokittyerw » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:56 am

thanks a lot pie81!
Southsider
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Southsider » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:54 am

hellokittyerw, perhaps I might be able to help. My daughter is also starting at Newton Prep in September. Will PM you.
hellokittyerw
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby hellokittyerw » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:42 pm

thanks Southsider, I haven't received your PM but sent you one instead.

Soniar
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Soniar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:53 pm

I'm so glad to read your posts and I will also be having the same issue with school pick ups starting September. Would you mind keeping me in the loop too and perhaps we can work something out.
I too have a nanny looking after the little one at home and need someone to collect the kids and bring them home. Many thanks
Sonia
hellokittyerw
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby hellokittyerw » Fri May 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi ladies,
I'll PM you with my email so we can keep in touch.
I think soon NP will send us the contact details of the other children starting in September.
gail0810
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby gail0810 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Between my nanny and I, we used to take my younger one along to pick ups every day for a similar round trip time for a couple of years - and to be honest they do get used to it and it was never a problem - it was normal to them. And there are certainly always a number of younger siblings at the school gates at drop off and pick up. My nanny used to take the buggy on the bus, but you might want to insure the nanny on your car if that is easier and quicker than public transport.

Certainly lift sharing is great, especially if you can reciprocate in some way and the other party are getting something back for helping you out and cuts down on the amount of school runs you are doing - but yes, difficult to arrange in advance unless you know parents before you start. Some schools promote car sharing etc, so you could ask the school if they do that.
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rooting4tooting » Wed May 24, 2017 7:29 am

if you can get say 10 children in a similar situation either approach the school or organise a minibus service to help you sort this out. Shame there are no afterschool clubs available

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.