Experience of Ravenstone or Trinity St Marys?

11 posts
PKB435
Options:
Share this post on:

Experience of Ravenstone or Trinity St Marys?

Postby PKB435 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:04 pm

Hello

We have recently moved to the area and are looking at primary schools for next year. Does anyone have any experiences of Ravenstone or Trinity St Marys that they could share? It would be so helpful to hear from people who know the schools / area, as I find it hard to get a real sense of the school from Ofsted reports and visits alone.
headshrinker
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Experience of Ravenstone or Trinity St Marys?

Postby headshrinker » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:16 am

I have 2 kids at Ravenstone. It is a lovely community school with a good mix of kids. They have a great site with loads of space and a young, enthusiastic Head Teacher. Kids do well academically but also has a real focus on non-academic subjects (they excel in sport and have just qualified for the London Youth Games in athletics) and a reputation for fun. There is affordable after school care in place but they are looking at offering an on-site breakfast club from September too. Really recommend it.
krickards
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby krickards » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:46 pm

I also have two children at Ravenstone, in year 2 and in year 5 and I have no hesitation in recommending it. Firstly my children are incredibly happy there, they have never once complained about going and truly enjoy their school experience. The teachers are excellent, they are committed and passionate about what they do. It has a lovely feel - it is a kind and inclusive school. Academically both my children have progressed well. They also value art, drama and sports. It is a great school. Good luck with your decision making.
JED70
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JED70 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:48 pm

My daughter attends Ravenstone (and my son will be starting at the nursery in September). We are very pleased with the school, and (most importantly) my daughter is very happy there. We have a dynamic new head teacher (Joe Croft), and all of my daughter's class teachers have been excellent. I am constantly impressed by the standard of work the children produce, especially in Literacy and Maths. There is a really good range of (affordable) after-school clubs to cater to many interests. For parents who like to get involved with the school community, we have a really well-supported PTA - "Friends of Ravenstone", which organises regular events, including our Summer and Christmas Fairs. I really recommend Ravenstone School.
NYVANLON
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NYVANLON » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:35 pm

My children just started at Ravenstone this past September (Year 2 and Year 4). They've adjusted quite well to being in a new country, new culture, new school and curriculum. The headteacher (Joe Croft) is innovative and dynamic in regards to educational programs and methods. The families are extremely welcoming and it is a good community school, which was our #1 priority. Our kids were behind academically, since we came from a different academic curriculum, and they've caught up just fine, primarily due to the extra support available at the school. The clubs and sports offerings are abundant and the school has a native Italian teacher, as well as a proper PE and Dance teachers. Year 4 and up have swimming once a week at the Balham Leisure Centre. The Year 4 classes have been invited to perform violin at Royal Festival Hall at Southbank Centre next month and the Athletics team has just beat out all of Wandsworth schools and will be competing in the London Youth Games.

You should check out the school website as it's just been revamped and is very thorough with the schools offerings and news. Good luck with your decision!

PKB435
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby PKB435 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:34 pm

Thank you so much for your comments, it is so helpful to have some real-life experience to go on.

It is really reassuring to hear that Ravenstone is so highly regarded by parents. That’s what we put down as our preference and I wasn’t feeling great about it before reading your thoughts but I now have everything crossed that we’ll get in!

If we do not get into Ravenstone then our next option would be Trinity St Marys, so if anybody does have any thoughts about Trinity St Marys it would be great to hear them too.

Thanks again
mumtobusyboy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mumtobusyboy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:36 am

Hello my son is in Reception at TSM and also went to nursery there! It's quite different to most Wandsworth schools in that it has just one class per year and small classes at that - circa 20! Because the school is smaller it's incredibly friendly and you get to know parents and kids from all years. My son loves it there and is very happy. The school has a fantastic reception teacher who does so much with the kids and he is doing really well. They are in the process of recruiting a new head teacher which will hopefully be in place by Sept. Personally I see this change as a good thing as their former head had been there a long time as was just ready for pastures new. It is a CofE school but this is not over heavy and I like the values that the children are taught as a result of this. I would def recommend calling the school for a tour which someone will do personally for you. Good luck!
Munchkin16
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Munchkin16 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:59 am

PKB435 wrote:Hello

We have recently moved to the area and are looking at primary schools for next year. Does anyone have any experiences of Ravenstone or Trinity St Marys that they could share? It would be so helpful to hear from people who know the schools / area, as I find it hard to get a real sense of the school from Ofsted reports and visits alone.
Hi, I have a child in Year 4 and one in the nursery at Trinity St Mary's and I can honestly say that my children are so very happy there. The school is incredibly friendly and is like a big family where the current acting head knows every child's name. The classes are smaller than average and no child is not left behind. They are in the process of recruiting a new head which will be in place for Sept. They have an incredible EYFS playground which my daughter loves. They have a breakfast club and lots of clubs in the afternoon. They also have a lovely PTA and give the children many exciting experiences. On the academic side they are doing very well - their KS2 results last year were in the top 5% for Maths and top 20% for English nationally. They also do personalised tours for prospective parents. Good luck
Broken Dad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Broken Dad » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:00 pm

We have 2 x children at Ravenstone and whilst we had considered private we are now very very happy with Ravenstone. The new head is a force of nature and extremely focussed and hard working. Mr dynamic he really is.

There are a number of great schools and some not so great in our area but to me at least this one stands out and in a very positive way.

No choice if perfect and it is difficult I know but I am an educational Nazi if that helps albeit, clearly not a grammar pedant.

BD

Wheresmyschool?
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Wheresmyschool? » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:33 pm

I've also heard great things about Ravenstone
Balham75
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balham75 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:42 pm

We have 2 kids who have been at Ravenstone since August. Would thoroughly recommend it. Friendly, welcoming and diverse community and the teachers and staff are wonderful.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.