State schools and additional needs

9 posts
2009Kat
Options:
Share this post on:

State schools and additional needs

Postby 2009Kat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi all, just to add a different strand to all the posts about state/private schools and all the worrying about entrance tests...... Does anyone have any experience of any local state schools (particularly BTC) and children with special needs that they would be willing to share? Many thanks in advance and feel free to pm.
mag
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: State schools and additional needs

Postby mag » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi There

I won't be of any help as I am in the same situation. My son has special needs and I am trying to figure out which maintained school in our area ( Clapham/balham/wandsworth Common) would work best for him. All school don't have the same approach and experience dealing with special needs. Would be happy to hear if you have found the right school for your child.
Best
M
evieandrose
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby evieandrose » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:20 pm

It hugely depends on what kind of SEN the child has, but I know that both Honeywell and Belleville have excellent SENCOs and accommodate children with a range of SEN. Additionally, those two schools (and in fact all state schools) will have in place groups for children with additional needs, be it, for example, social communication groups, fine motor skills groups etc. A lot will also depend on if your child has an EHCP.
mag
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mag » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:07 am

Unfortunately not all State schools have a good SEN approach. We have major issues with the school my son is currently attending and it is a known as being a "good school" in Balham with nice words about how they cater for special needs on their website. The reality is very different and we now have to change school because the school refuses to adapt to my son's needs despite all the medical recommendations. We have been told about honeywell or ravenstone as being particularly experienced when dealing with special needs.
It would be great to hear some SEN parent's thoughts about these - or any other state school in the area ?
thx
Ladystardust
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ladystardust » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 am

Hi

I think it really depends on what your child's needs are as to whether the school is a suitable fit.

I have experience of Honeywell infants, and although a caring and inclusive school, in my view it is not the best setting for children who have sensory processing difficulties and/or are on the autism spectrum who need structure and a calm environment. It's very busy, and free flow in reception and year 1, and unless your child has an ECHP and access to 1:1 teaching assistance in the classroom they may find it difficult to thrive as there are limited resources to give additional assistance. Although the teachers and classroom assistants bend over backwards to give the children all they need, it is very difficult for them to give children who need it that extra help in a class of 30 children.

The playground is also very busy, as is drop off and pick up, given the size of the school.

The very experienced Senco retired last year and the Senco in her place, although helpful, I felt lacked experience for ASD related issues. However, I was in regular communication with her and my child's teacher and so felt very informed of what was going on which was really helpful in making informed decisions for my child's education.

They provide social skills sessions in small groups once or twice a week depending on your child's needs.

This is just my view from my personal experience and all children are different so it is really worth contacting the schools and having conversations with them, the Sencos, the teachers and visiting the classrooms in term time to see what the environment is like. I hope that's helpful!

Feel free to PM (although I'm no expert!).

L x

mag
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mag » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:17 pm

Thanks a lot Ladystardust
I just PMed you
ella.louise
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ella.louise » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:46 am

Hi Mag,
So sorry to hear about your experience with your son's school in Balham :cry: I was in a similar situation with my daughter in the past when we were living in N.W. London. Just simply no help in adapting to my child's needs despite being considered good. I saw no evidence of that! Anyway, if you need help with legal advice or challenging the school in terms of what they provide, ive had consultations with SEN4You http://www.sen4you.co.uk/ in the pastand they've been very helpful in helping me fight my cause. I hope you manage to find the right school for your son x
2009Kat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby 2009Kat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:15 pm

I have no idea whether sen4you are good or not but it would be worth knowing/looking up the baker small/twitter story as they are run by the same people.
IPSEA and SOS!SEN are fantastic charities with a lot of information on their websites and telephone helplines if you need some legal info before hiring anyone...
ella.louise
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ella.louise » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:09 pm

Ohh my I definitely wasn't aware of that story before I used them. Nevertheless, the representative for my case did a great job and I'd have no problem recommending to all SEN parents/carers x

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.