The White House School in Balham

4 posts
LondonDwarf
Options:
Share this post on:

The White House School in Balham

Postby LondonDwarf » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi

I am looking for some up to date views on this school - especially from any parents out there. I've been to see the school, and while the lack of smart 'facilities' really does not bother me, i felt the school did look a bit tired/ unloved - e.g the playground was shabby and the place wasn't very tidy - does this indicate a morale issue or am i being unfair?
Mummykatstanley
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: The White House School in Balham

Postby Mummykatstanley » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:20 am

My DC is in yr 6 at the White House. They joined in Yr 5 after an unhappy time at a local state primary and we couldn't be happier. The quality of the teaching and leadership is absolutely excellent and my DC has really blossomed with the smaller class size and dedicated interaction with teachers. The school was particulary supportive during the eleven plus process and my DC obtained outstanding results. My DC has been extremely happy at the school, making good friends (the other children in the class are lovely and the small size means everyone mucks in together and is very inclusive). I'm not aware of any morale problems at all - the school is thriving! We wanted good, targetted teaching more than anything else after our previous experience and we have certainly had that at the White House.
JoY
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JoY » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Hi

I have got three children at the White House (Yr 2, Yr 1 and pre-reception) and we have been very happy there. The school seem to do up different parts of the building/ facilities on a rolling basis but I am surprised that you thought it was messy, it isn't usually the case in my experience. I am not sure when you looked around but the teachers strip back the classrooms every term and display the children's new work for open days - where all parents are invited to come and see their childs' work and talk to teachers, and prospective parents can explore the school. Our next one is on Sat 9th May 9.30-11.30am if you were interested in looking around again.

The teachers are fantastic - they are all engaging and tailor learning to your child and many of the teachers have been with the school for years. While the school doesn't have some of the facilities or space of other schools in our area, they really do make the most of the local facilities - for example lessons are held at Balham Pool, Tooting Athletics Track, Telford Tennis Club etc.

My three children are all thriving there and we feel very lucky to be part of such a friendly community. If you would like to talk further, please do PM me.
Balhammum37
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balhammum37 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:49 am

Hi,
I have 2 girls at the White House. The girls are so happy at the school. They are being taught fantastically well, by experienced and enthusiastic teachers. The class sizes are small, so each child receives fantastic attention and is able to thrive.

I've never noticed the playground looking particularly shabby, it gets used a lot and is loved by the children, especially the swings etc at the back. One thing we really appreciate is the fact that all the children get to mix at playtime, from kindergarten to year 6. All the kids know each other and the older children look out for and are very caring towards the younger ones. This promotes a lovely school atmosphere.

The school is normally tidy and class rooms are always really well presented with children's work. Anything that is a little tired, I can't imagine is because of low morale or being unloved, rather just because it's used daily by very happy and engaged children (who really don't notice the 'fancy' facilities).
We are very pleased to be part of the school.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.