Has Rutherford House School sold its soul to T-mobile/Orange

9 posts
Mums United
Options:
Share this post on:

Has Rutherford House School sold its soul to T-mobile/Orange

Postby Mums United » Tue May 27, 2014 9:01 am

Dear Annabel

I'm writing to inform you that Rutherford House School is currently going against parents wishes by locating a controversial mobile mast on top of the school building for a fee.

Many of the Parents are outraged but it has created a divide between those who support it and those that do not. It would seem the school is defiant on having the mast for the sum of £14k per year. Parents forced through a consultation but it would appear that The Bellevue Group Trust (who can no longer be trusted) are quite some way with the lease negotiation.

Parents are supposed to vote on their childrens health in a forthcoming vote. If they force parents that do not want a mast that emits radiation, what should they do? Surely they should make the school liable? Isn't decision making like this unethical ? Is that what we should come to expect from free schools - wealth before health? Is money too tight to mention?

Mobile masts are very controversial due to the negative health impact on minors. The Stewert Report clearly recommends not placing them within close proximity of hospitals and schools! The big guns i.e.T Mobile/ Orange are insisting its safe focusing on the thermal impact and cherry picking parts of the report that suits them, which is subterfuge, as the real impact is biological and they admit that more research is needed and whilst they cannot find an established link as yet, they strongly advise caution.

Research shows that the cumulative impact of exposure affects and alters the DNA structure causing a host of problems. Scandinavian countries such as Sweden and Norway, Italy and others have got it together and said thanks but no thanks - choosing not to locate them near to schools!

Unfortunately the World Health Organisation and the government have too much too lose by making restrictions tighter and therefore we have a big problem. Personally I cannot fathom why anyone would take this type of risk with their child - if we cannot be sure - surely it's a logical decision. Isn't it? If the school is do proud of their actions should they be transparent and tell all prospective parents???

Yours Sincerely

A very unhappy parent
twomonkeys
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Has Rutherford House School sold its soul to T-mobile/Or

Postby twomonkeys » Tue May 27, 2014 8:26 pm

bump
Gingercat2
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Gingercat2 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:23 pm

This is absolutely disgusting. I cannot believe that the children are being overlooked for greed. I would pull my child out of the school. I hope something further can be done with a petition by lobbying mps etc :evil:
bossyboots99
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby bossyboots99 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:54 pm

I'm not a parent at RH, however I live locally and feel it should be pointed out that the mobile mast current sits at the building directly next to RH, so this is not a case of a something new being installed.
I could be wrong, but isn't the danger from these types of masts emitted outwards, rather than up or down? If so, anyone in the area is already at risk of the dangers caused by these things. They often go unnoticed, but if you stop and look around you will see them everywhere,
If the danger is more prominent in a sideways direction, given the masts current location, wouldn't RH be safer to put it on their roof thus keeping those pupils at the school safer from the risks associates with its current location next door?

Yes there does seem to be a substantial fee offered to the school in terms of relocating it on the roof, but In what ways will the school use these extra funds? Perhaps to complete the school playgrounds which I understand lots of parents are interested in seeing money spent on? I'd be suspect if the funds where going into the pockets of the Trust itself, but I doubt it. I'm sure the school has plans for the way they view it best spent in terms improving the experience of pupils at the school.

I'm also keen to find out more about the consultation of parents - is this a case of a few parents expressing concern hence the post on here to gather support, or is it the voice of many? If the latter, I would be surprised if the school would go against the wishes of the majority parental vote

At the end of the day, my children don't go to RH so I'm just playing devils advocate with my line of questioning. I don't like the masts either, but they are a part of life I suppose. Still, I'd love to see research on what is worse...the masts or the constant emissions from the iPhones, iPads, mobile devices etc we and our children hold near our heads each and every day.

Food for thought in any case
Mums United
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mums United » Tue May 27, 2014 10:55 pm

The reason for the post is to offer transparency. A lot of the parents are not happy with how this has been handled. Also parents should be aware of what they are getting themselves into. I wouldn't have sent my child there had I known about their plans and I will be making plans to move my child if they go ahead with the mast installation. I take this matter very seriously as I consider it a health and safety issue for all the children concerned. Whilst sometimes it's easier to follow the tide/ status quo it's harder and lonelier to stand up for what you believe in. Fundemently I think this course of action is wrong, it exposes the children to potential risk. The children are in that school daily - some from 8.20am -6.00pm at night. Why should they be so exposed? Research shows the risks are much higher nearer to the beam, so why would anyone consider putting it on top of a school? Sorry stupid question - money of course. Up until this point I couldn't have been happier with RHS but they have lost my trust. I trusted the school and The Trust to uniquivicobaly make decisions that support my child's well being and they have priorities all wrong. Yes I want my child to receive a great education, but I also want a healthy child too. We need to get away from the idea that children need climbing frames for £20k to be fulfilled. Children need space and friends you can leave the rest to them.

With regards to considering other technologies. A lot of people make the mistake of comparing the impact of mobile eye to masts but this is a big mistake as they emit different types of energy and pose different risks. Mobiles are linked to thermal risks and masts to electromagnetic / biological risks. The biological risks are caused because the radiation interupts the DNA code - so much so that the anomaly can be inherited by that child's child. Scared?? I am. If too scientists that have spent millions researching the subject cast doubts on the science and advise us to be cautious - advising us not to place masts near schools you would have to be quite "a personality" to put your child in harms way!

See her for further info:
http://www.mastsanity.org/campaign-information.html

modernmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby modernmum » Wed May 28, 2014 11:01 am

Mums United - thank you for raising this.

Our DD has secured a place at Rutherford House to start this September but if we were informed of this potential mast going up on the roof earlier our decision to accept the place would have been very different. As a future parent of RHS it would have been nice to have been told about this mast and the schools intentions. Just a heads up at least!
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Annabel (admin) » Fri May 30, 2014 11:43 am

Mums United, I just sent you email, can you let me know if it was received?

Thanks!
papinian
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby papinian » Fri May 30, 2014 12:17 pm

An interesting question is whether Bellevue Education Trust would have put a mobile phone mast on top of Wandsworth Prep School which it also runs. I suspect not. The money received wouldn't be worth the prospective parents put off by it.
JKK
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JKK » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:07 pm

Dear Annabel and dear parents

I would like to give you some update on the mobile mast saga:

After a parents' consultation and a parental vote on the subject RHS decided not to proceed with the mast installation. One would think - great! one worry less... but unfortunately the story does not end here.

Despite the parental concerns and the unequivocal parental vote, which opposed the antennas Orange/EE are going ahead with the masts installation just meters away from the school.
In blatant disregard of the parental concerns Orange/EE are placing the masts now on the rooftop of the Territorial Army building, which is not only just 15m from the school but already a host of six visible Vodaphone antennas.
The TA building is furthermore in an immediate proximity of 3 other schools/nurseries (Eveline Day School -45m, Baby Room nursery - 100m, Bertrum House - 150m), not to mention the kids play center Bertie and Boo (70m).

We as parents a very concerned about the increased level of EM radiation on the school premises and the eventual health consequences for the kids.

The councilors for Bedford have already been approached and they are working on the case. The advice received from them is that we need a local support and publicity to stop these masts. Therefore I’ve created the petition attached below, which opposes the placement of the additional masts.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-m ... r-children

If you share our concerns, please help us protect our children by signing the petition even though you or your families might not be directly affected!

It will be great if you can share it with your friends and neighbors.
Some of their children might be going to the schools in question, some might be sharing these beliefs as a matter of principal. We will need all the support that we can get. It will take only a minute of your time but it could make a big difference!

Thank you very much!!!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.