how's Clapham manor primary school lately?

7 posts
francescasole
Options:
Share this post on:

how's Clapham manor primary school lately?

Postby francescasole » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi Moms, I'm thinking about moving my two daughters (year 1 and 5) from Lark Hall to Clapham Manor. In lark Hall the community is for the majority african and portuguese, and my girls (italian but willing to get in touch with many friends as possible!) are left behind. No birthday parties, no playdates, nothing. I wonder if in Clapham Manor is different, and I really hope so. I'm not looking for italian people,indeed we moved to get into british culture and habits. Any experience about it?
Thank you Moms, I really appreciate any word...

Francesca
twin'smum36
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: how's Clapham manor primary school lately?

Postby twin'smum36 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:18 pm

So you are wanting to move your children from a school because the population are mainly African and Portuguese? I'm intrigued to know how your children are left behind? My husband is African and our children have birthday parties and play dates. As do many of their friends. Unfortunately for you state schools in London have an considerable amount of ethnic minority pupils, so it will probably be the same scenario everywhere you go. I find your post incredibly offensive. Closet racism springs to mind.
kidzibuzi
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby kidzibuzi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi,
I do not think there is anything racist in your post... As a mum, I would just ask myself how it goes on a daily basis at school, have your girls made some friends at school? If you feel that something is missing on a social level and that it is affecting the developpement of your kids, why not looking for another school? My daughter is mixed race, european/african, and has changed 2 times not for the same reason (simply wanted her to learn French at school...), and I felt a lot of differences regarding invitations for birthdays parties depending on the mixity in the school. She has not been to Clapham Manor Primary School, however I visited it as it is on 3rd position (for home distance reason) for my son who will be in reception next year, and I was amazed by this school: the headteacher presented the school, pupils seem to be so well behaved when we looked around, amazing space for art and music... Not sure if that helps, but you should always trust your feelings as a mum.
francescasole
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby francescasole » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:24 pm

As soon I first posted my post, I have noticed that due to the rush, I did not well explained my issue, and so I got misunderstood. Let's make it clear. My daughters seem to have some friends in the school, kids are kids, absolutely no problem with them. They welcommed my girls with joy and are helping them for the language so much. And I really appreciate that. But I've tried so hard to get in touch with their families, in order to have a playdate at my place, or to meet at the park during weekends, and after all that efforts unfortunately parents refused my invitations. They probabily are not interested in meeting other people who are not coming from their same country. Barely the 20% in the school is not black, and I'm sure that that 80% is made of really good persons, but they like to be only with their people! You know what I mean? This is sad, and I'm sure they do not intend to exclude anybody, but at the end of the day, my daughters are always by themselves. I know London is mixed cultured, and this is great! I'd enjoy getting in touch with many cultures as possible, and maybe the problem stands in the education level of the families attending Lark Hall. Which has a great headteacher, great stuff making thir best educate kids, but when it comes to families, it' s possibly more difficult. This is it, I do apologise if my post sounded a little racist. It was not my intention AT ALL.
Francesca
townieatheart
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby townieatheart » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:18 pm

People can be too quick to play the racist card, had you been saying the majority of children were boys and so your girls were being left out would twin'smum36 have been so quick to post about being sexist? I doubt it. Your original post francesca was not racist, you were merely explaining the situation.

I'm afraid I have no experience of Clapham Manor, sorry. Just a thought though, how long have your girls been at school? I have found that my childrens real friendships took a year or so to form. And we are even having first play dates with some kids in year 3, even though they've known each other since reception!

cheshirecat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cheshirecat » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi, Clapham Manor is a great school and very diverse. The balance does often break through cliques of class, ethnicity and culture, although this really depends on the parents willingness and desire for their children to mix. I will say that it does have a more mixed denographic than Larkhall. It's also a very difficult school to get a place at, especially for two children!
cheshirecat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cheshirecat » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:42 pm

My kids have plenty of playdates. Most of the population of Clapham Manor goes to Grafton Square playground to play together after 3.30, so you could try bringing your girls there and see for yourself what the children are like. They might also make some new friends!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.