Finton House

5 posts
twobusyboys
Options:
Share this post on:

Finton House

Postby twobusyboys » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi there - we are looking at schools for our two boys, the first to start in reception in 2015.
We've looked at all the usual suspects and my favourite is definitely Finton House. However, I've heard that most of the boys leave at 7/8 years old because Finton House only goes to 11.
This is where I'm confused! I'm state school educated and a bit unfamiliar with the system - so why would boys leave at 7? Do most of the London Day Schools not have a big 11+ intake for boys? Is it different for boys and girls?
We really like the school but don't want to have to move them after just a few years and, even if we kept them in the school, wouldn't want them to be one of the few remaining boys.
Can anyone explain the system to me?! Thanks!
Mummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Finton House

Postby Mummy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:16 pm

We currently have a boy at Finton. Yes it seems a lot of boys do leave to go to prep schools which go from 8-13 and then onto boarding.
Finton is currently doing very well at maintaining boys to go all the way through the school to Year 6.
I have faith that in a good few years it could become a marvellous co-ed school all the way to Year 6.
twobusyboys
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby twobusyboys » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:03 pm

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

So it is just the parents who want to send their kids to boarding school that move them at 8 to a prep school that goes to 13?

How about the parents that want to send their boys to day schools - are they leaving the boys at Finton House until 11 or do they move them earlier too?

Do you know roughly what % of the boys leave at 8? I'm sure Finton would tell me but a parents perspective would be v useful!

Thanks
Mummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mummy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Historically boys are often moved because they want to go to day boarding which starts at 13. This has been the reason they move them at 8, because otherwise they will be looking to move them at 11 for only 2 years.

The problem at Finton is boys are moved at 8 because they fear there will be not that many boys - so a lot move to Dulwich etc. which go onto 18.

I know there is a big movement internally trying to put in place sports programs, and generally trying to do what is needed to keep the boys on.

I don't know the percentages -the school should be able to inform you.

As a parent of a boy I am very keen for him to stay all the way.
lucy.wheeler
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lucy.wheeler » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Thank you to "Mummy "for posting such a sensible and accurate reply. As she says, we are more than happy to talk this issue through with any parent over the phone or in person. The whole system can be a minefield, especially for anyone just starting out on the private education journey. Find me on our website and give me a ring.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.